• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Well im considering options, calibers, and of course my wallet. I have two old bolt actions from ww2 Mosin and an Italian carcano. But, I want something american and not junk. Looking at either a 243 270 or 308. I dont have either caliber, also thinking it would be fun to reload for hunting. My price limit is $500. Either Remington, Winchester, and or Ruger.
    Capitol Armory ad

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    In a few years, I would like to get a bolt action .270 and use Hornady's Light Mags. Keeping it on a smaller budget, I would look at a Remington 770 or Marlin XL7. If I save up abit more, might consider the Rem. 700.

mmay1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Fort Worth
    In those brands, you are probably looking for something used. Savage is making a great rifle in the calibers you mentioned and the AccuTrigger has set a new standard for the industry. You should be able to find a Savage close to your price range. Last month I bought a new Savage 11G in 308 Win. with a Leupold VX-III 3.5x10x50 scope, for $800 including tax. The economy model Stevens rifle from Savage is right in your preferred price range and has gotten some good reviews but I have not handled one.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Have to agree with mmay1. I've owned all the major brands and for the money, Savage makes the best out-of-the box rifle. I have a 110L in .243 that I bought used in 1968 and it still shoots under a minute at 100 yards. One of our lady club members won the "hunter" class with a Savage in .243 this year. This wasn't just a single match but the accumulation of our our monthly matches for the entire year.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Marlin XL7 is supposed to be a sub moa rifle for at or under $300 for just the rifle. slap a $150 Nikon 3x9 and your in the deer killing bitness. BTW Winchester is made over seas now and no longer owned by an American company. The Browning Citori over under shotgun is made in china BY HAND and it is widely considered to be one of the top 10 shotguns around. So just look at quality and forget about where they are made even the American guns probably use Chinese parts LOL. But I'll see if I can dig up those reviews of the XL7 again I handed one at academy and it was tight clean and crisp. It seemed the action was tighter and smoother than some of the big name rifles I handled and Marlin is an American company to I think.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Thanks for all the help and information. Heres two problem im now facing: I keep on seeing that mitchell's mauser for sale for $249.00 my grand dad brought back a k98 and sporterized it, didnt really look good. I shot it once, very powerful rifle. For that price and the fact its a mauser keeps on catching my eye. The second problem im facing is to buy a bolt action or buy the ar-15 rifle kit first? Since the mauser is a collectors rifle and isnt going to last seems to me to buy the mauser. But then again I dont have any 8mm rounds and i have 800 223/5.56 rounds.:banghead:

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Well get the one you like and can shoot better. Does it have to be a bolt action or will a single shot work? Is it going to be primarily a hunting rifle? I looked at a single shot 223 with a bull barrel and a very nice thumb hole stock at academy it's pretty cheep and for the $300 (I think) price tag you can put a nice Nikon or Leopold 3X9 on it and you have a rifle that will do deer and pigs out to 300 yds. And it's in a caliber that you already have stock piled. All Tho I wouldn't buy a hunting rifle based on what I had ammo for at the time. You can get those single shot rifles in 243 or 30-06 or 308 to. I know there are others out there but the 223 is probably the lightest hunting round I'd go with for just Texas, followed by the 25-06 then 243, 308 and 30-06. 270's are good but I've never been a fan, nothing wrong with them I just like the 30's and the quarter bores better. Just my two pennies.

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    As you mentioned a Mitchell Mauser I would like to suggest you apply for your C&R license and buy a Czec or German Mauser from AIM Surplus or another distributor. For 500 bucks you could have your license + ammo and three or four rifles. Also a Swiss K31 is a 7.5mm tack driver that will give most sniper rifles a run for their money.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    What's wrong with Ruger?
    Savage 10 is a good solid platform, good guns.

I've shot enough of the M77s to hate them. They are not up to par in the accuracy department.

Before people start to jump on me about my comment, I've shot 20 - 30 of the things and hundreds of rifles in the past year. I'm not saying that they can't build an accurate rifle, but they as a percentage wise are less accurate than your run of the mill Remington 700 or Savage 10.

Top Bottom