• ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Thanks for the heads up.

We just visited a new shop in Seabrook that specializes in that type of stuff. Been looking at one of those $600 tower Hydroponic set ups, and trying to figure out how to do it on the cheap. A DYI version.
    One of these things is being sold locally.
    Tower Garden provides modular hydroponic solution for organic produce

The new shop is setting up one of those Aquaponics systems where all you do is feed the fish and their waste feeds the veggies in the other part. Can't wait to see how it works out for them.

Problem is it looks like a lot of work and cost for moderate value returned in the organic produce. Fearing that a bunch of lettuce will end up costing $10 serving at years end :) Lots of start up costs from grow lights (single LED grow light bulb $80), pumps, uv lights to kill the unwanted algae, chemicals, tanks, grow media, etc.

The good news for us, with that shop, is that we will not have to mail order the supplies.

Thinking a seminar like that might help us better understand what we need to do, and more importantly what we don't need to waste time and money on.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    WYSIWYG. What you see is what you get. You have as much info as I do.

This class is right around the corner from me. I plan to attend one.

http://aquaponics.com/page/aquaponics-master-class-3-days

Aquaponics Master Class Montello, WI

This is a comprehensive course covering all aspects of aquaponics and controlled environment agriculture. Our 3-day Aquaponics Master Class is intended for anyone seriously considering getting into aquaponic food production, or those already doing aquaponics who want to learn more about the technology. We cover the topics most important to being successful in aquaponics including aquaponic methods and applications, crop choices and recommendations, water quality, daily operation and growing techniques, greenhouses and environmental control, fish biology and feeds, plant care and health, system start up and business considerations. In the Aquaponics Master Class, we don\\\'t waste your time with fluff or with inexperienced instructors. We have developed a comprehensive and cohesive curriculum. We share the most important tips and techniques for growing and we show you path to success in aquaponics, all based on our 20 years’ experience in aquaponic food production.

Last edited:

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I'd be glad to share any info or knowledge I might have on the subject. I've grown Bioponics for 11 years, from tomatos, herbs, lettuce(the best),onions, and other things. I've never done aquaponics, didn't want to deal with the fish, I enjoy tweaking my solutions and seeing how well plants react and produce off of those tweaks.

Getting a TDS(total dissolved solid) device to measure your nutrient content and a PH meter(acid & alkaline) to keep levels where the plants can absorb nutrients effectively, are the most important parts.

The Bioponic nutrients aren't cheap, but you can grow food incredibly fast. It's more expensive because of the added enzymes needed for nutrient "break down", the naturally occuring enzymes in the soil usually do this, but no soil........

I'm about to get my greenhouse unit up and running for this year, been so busy with the soil garden, I haven't had much time.

I'll try to get some pictures up of my system as soon as I can. Might be a few weeks.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    HKaltwasser you got any recommendations on the electronics, nutrients, pumps,etc?

We have a pair of old garden fish ponds that I may convert to a garden. Been formulating an idea where I plumb them to fill from the bottom, through a bed of pea gravel. Overflow goes back into the reservoir tank to be pumped back through the system.

I see you said you grow onions, can you grow other root vegetables like carrots, radishes, potatoes, etc.? What about melons, how do they do?

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    HKaltwasser you got any recommendations on the electronics, nutrients, pumps,etc?

We have a pair of old garden fish ponds that I may convert to a garden. Been formulating an idea where I plumb them to fill from the bottom, through a bed of pea gravel. Overflow goes back into the reservoir tank to be pumped back through the system.

I see you said you grow onions, can you grow other root vegetables like carrots, radishes, potatoes, etc.? What about melons, how do they do?

For TDS and PH testers, I use Qakton... they're not cheap, but the work good. There may be other good options. but I've never had to replace these so.. For nutrients: I like Bonicare Pure Blend and Fox Farm for general use. Occasionally I would add some Tropical Banna Manna to boost some flavor in the maters and lettuce. For Water Pumps: I use Hydrofarm or air forced pumps. Air is forced in to a small reservoir and water is forced up through a tube drip ring around the base of the stem.

When it comes to \Aquaponics, the fish may balance the water with a healthy PH and probably enough nutrients, so testers might not be necessary. The testers come in when you're looking for optimal/maximum growth output. You adjust you nutrients to the growth period the plant is in. NPK(Nitrogen,Phosphorus,Potassium)Example: In early vegetive you want about twice as much nitrogen as Potassium. This promotes healthy and fast vegetive growth that will support many flowers. In a fruiting stage, you adjust the potassium twice as high as the nitrogen. This will produce many healthy fruit. You can dial up a perfect solution because you have these meters that give you precise feedback on potency. It's pretty fun stuff, but then, I like stuff like this.:batman:

I've never tried any other root veggies, but I plan on doing alot more experimenting this year.

My brother in law does the aquaponics and he has fun with it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom