• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SA_1911_45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Connecticut
    I am currently a resident of Connecticut who holds a Connecticut state permit to carry concealed pistols and revolvers. I will be moving to Texas in January 2010 and would like to know if my Connecticut permit will be sufficient to carry concealed pistols/revolvers in Texas or would I require a Texas issued permit?

I have done some research on this and it would appear Texas honors Connecticut issued concealed carry permits but I am unclear if this covers a Connecticut resident that moves to Texas or does this apply to a Connecticut resident who is visiting Texas or establishes part time residency in both states (Connecticut and Texas)?

I would appreciate any clarification. I recently incurred the time and expense to renew my Connecticut permit and would consider it a great bit of news to hear it would be accepted when I move to Texas.
    Guns International

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Even if Connecticut does honor your Texas residency as a non resident license, it will save you legal hassle to get a TX CHL. If you get pulled over and the officer is not sure about you being able to carry legally, you could be treated as a criminal with an illegal firearm until the situation is cleared up. That is a bad place to be. I have heard of this happening to others in the same situation, being a TX resident with an out of state carry permit. Legal or not, that would be enough right there to justify the expense of a TX CHL.

SA_1911_45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Connecticut
    Hello all and thanks for the welcome. I cannot wait to get to Texas!!

Dawico, you raise a very valid point about just going through the effort and getting a Texas CHL in addition to my already current Connecticut CHL but that process would still take about 8 months to accomplish if I understand the Texas CHL process. I think you need to be a resident for 6 months then it takes about 2 months to get it. That is a long time to go with an empty holster.

I would welcome any additional comments on the legality of 'long term' use of a Connecticut CHL in Texas.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I Googled Connecticut concealed carry and came up with this:
    [url]http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal/connecticut-ccw-state-laws.php[/URL]
    It gives you a number to issue a change of address, which you will have to do anyway. They would probably be the ones to ask. They may tell you to call TX DPS also.
    [url]http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlsindex.htm[/URL]
    There are some good links there and a phone number at the bottom. I would think a call to both would cover all your bases.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I am currently a resident of Connecticut who holds a Connecticut state permit to carry concealed pistols and revolvers. I will be moving to Texas in January 2010 and would like to know if my Connecticut permit will be sufficient to carry concealed pistols/revolvers in Texas or would I require a Texas issued permit?

I have done some research on this and it would appear Texas honors Connecticut issued concealed carry permits but I am unclear if this covers a Connecticut resident that moves to Texas or does this apply to a Connecticut resident who is visiting Texas or establishes part time residency in both states (Connecticut and Texas)?

I would appreciate any clarification. I recently incurred the time and expense to renew my Connecticut permit and would consider it a great bit of news to hear it would be accepted when I move to Texas.

As long as your Connecticut license is valid, it is acceptable in Texas UNLESS it is a temporary paper permit issued by a local Connecticut authority.

See the agreement here; http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/connproc.pdf

You MUST obey all Texas carry laws while here; PENAL CODE   CHAPTER 30. BURGLARY AND CRIMINAL TRESPASS

PENAL CODE   CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS

Our use of force laws are here;

PENAL CODE   CHAPTER 9. JUSTIFICATION EXCLUDING CRIMINAL RESPONSIBILITY

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Hello all and thanks for the welcome. I cannot wait to get to Texas!!

Dawico, you raise a very valid point about just going through the effort and getting a Texas CHL in addition to my already current Connecticut CHL but that process would still take about 8 months to accomplish if I understand the Texas CHL process. I think you need to be a resident for 6 months then it takes about 2 months to get it. That is a long time to go with an empty holster.

I would welcome any additional comments on the legality of 'long term' use of a Connecticut CHL in Texas.

You do not need to be a resident of Texas AT ALL or for 6 months to obtain a Texas CHL. You could have one in under 2 months.

Your current license is valid here without restriction. My only concern for you is knowing where you can and cannot carry (we get questions from Texas licensees here all of the time) and when you can and cannot use deadly force.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    The answer may be in one of the links provide by another poster, but you'll need to call the issuing agency in Connecticut or look it up on their website. The question you'll need to ask is, "Is my Connecticut license valid after I take residence in another state?"

Some states' carry permits become invalid if you move out of state. Others do not.

I'd also recommend that you go ahead and get your Texas CHL. I realize you have an investment in your Connecticut license, but that isn't necessarily lost. You may have additional coverage through differences in reciprocity, plus that Connecticut license will be more convenient for you when or if you should visit Connecticut.

More importantly, you should invest the time in a CHL class to familiarize yourself with specific Texas law. You'll find they're quite different than the northeast.

Best of luck to you and welcome to Texas!

SA_1911_45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Connecticut
    Thanks for everyone's input and the links. I just got an email back from the Texas Dept. of Public Safety.

"A CHL from a state with which Texas has a reciprocity agreement is valid in Texas for as long as it is valid in the originating state. There is no requirement that one give up the license in favor of a Texas license. "

That being said, I do plan to obtain a Texas CHL when I arrive. I have reviewed the links above about Texas CHL laws and they are very different from Connecticut's which makes me very happy.

It is good to know that my current CHL will work until my Texas one is approved, however.

Next step is my hunting license. Wild Boar, here I come!!

Thanks again for all the info.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    Humble, TX
    You'll love it here in Texas. I'm a former nutmegger who renounced his Yankee roots a long time ago. You'll find folks down here much more amiable and friendly, that's for sure.

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    I think you have gotten the answers you needed. I would however also suggest that you print out any of the info you get from your home state and TX as well. That way if you happen to get puilled over by someone in LE that is not familiar with the ricprocity agreements and such you will have some info to back your story up. Just print out and keep with your insurance papers.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Good luck on obtaining a Texas CHL, it isn't difficult and you will join a host of men and women that are somewhat a danger to the zombies here and about. As for hunting Wild Boar, we have too many and hope you can and will help reduce their population, but here they are referred to as feral hogs and pronounced feral hawgs, ha ha... Hogs are hawgs and dogs are dawgs, you'll catch on, good luck, and welcome !!!

Top Bottom