• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TimberWolf7.62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Houston
    Some friends of mine and I have an annual Computer Shoot in Mississippi every Fall - description and photos here - Computer Shoot Full Contact Computing

I was wondering if there would be an interest in doing that in Texas in the Spring? The big thing needed is that someone would have to have land available to shoot on.

The way we do it is that we have a designated range officer for safety, we clean up afterwards, and there is a strict rule that once you pick up a beer, you put down the guns for the day. Other than that, we can make of it what we want.

Any interest?

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    i have a whole warehouse full of old ass computers from the early 90's hahaha
    theres probably 2-300 of them
    let me know when this goes down id love to load a bunch of them up and go after them with some big calibers

TimberWolf7.62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Houston
    I'm going to post this in the Austin and San Antonio sections, too. Maybe we can find a place that would be convenient to all three cities.

Fast Frank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Houston (Woodlands)
    While this sounds like a really fun way to spend a little time getting some "Payback" on these blasted machines that have invaded our lives...

The problem I see is the substantial mess this is going to make, and the equally substantial cleanup this is going to require.

I'm betting that an hour of shooting at a pile of monitors and motherboards is going to scatter tiny little pieces over a large area, especially when we get to the big buckshot and the mag dumps from the AR/AK guys.

While I would be willing to participate in destroying a mountain of technology, I'm not so keen about crawling around in the dirt picking up thousands of 1/4" chunks of glass, plastic, metal, and who knows what other un-identifiable nonsense over an area the size of half a football field.

I certainly can't expect that anybody would be OK with us doing something like this and just leaving the mess behind. That's the reason why all the public shooting places I've ever found have been closed down.

How are we going to deal with this aspect of this otherwise awesome idea?

TimberWolf7.62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Houston
    While this sounds like a really fun way to spend a little time getting some "Payback" on these blasted machines that have invaded our lives...

The problem I see is the substantial mess this is going to make, and the equally substantial cleanup this is going to require.

I'm betting that an hour of shooting at a pile of monitors and motherboards is going to scatter tiny little pieces over a large area, especially when we get to the big buckshot and the mag dumps from the AR/AK guys.

While I would be willing to participate in destroying a mountain of technology, I'm not so keen about crawling around in the dirt picking up thousands of 1/4" chunks of glass, plastic, metal, and who knows what other un-identifiable nonsense over an area the size of half a football field.

I certainly can't expect that anybody would be OK with us doing something like this and just leaving the mess behind. That's the reason why all the public shooting places I've ever found have been closed down.

How are we going to deal with this aspect of this otherwise awesome idea?

Good question. Here's what we do in the Mississippi shoot in more detail:

We don't shoot monitors or TVs or any glass, so no debris from that.
    We pick up the big pieces.
    We have garden rakes and shovels that we use to rake up the majority of the small scraps.
    We run a magnet on wheels (a shop tool) over the area to pick up metallic stuff left behind.
    The owner then pushes some sand around with his tractor to smooth things out. This is a shooting pit that he keeps available year-round, with a sandy topsoil. If the landowner did not intend to keep it as a shooting pit, then that might require a more thorough cleanup.

It's really not that bad. It takes maybe a half-hour with a dozen guys on it, after shooting 8-10 computers, printers, some mice and other things.
    The shooting area is about 25 feet wide with a large backstop of earth, so the scatter is very confined.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom