• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lvitsaP239

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Irving, Tx
    I've been target shooting for the last few years, and while I'm not as good as I'd like to be, I do want to look into doing something new and different to challenge myself. One of those things I was looking at was competition. Currently I'm only looking at pistol competition, but hope to eventually move to 3-gun. That being said, I was hoping that anyone would have some recommendations on basic new shooter gear you would need. Eventually I hope to get lots of different gear and equipment for many situations, but right now I'm just looking at what to get started. Honestly, I'm not even sure which questions to ask, so I apologize if that's not very specific information.
    Guns International

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Probably mostly USPSA.

Forgive my ignorance, but can you explain what you mean?

USPSA has five divisions. I'd recommend starting in Production, meaning just you and your gun without all the "race" modifications. If that's the case, your basic holster (like a Safarilannd 5197), five mags and mag holders will be enough to start.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Production is the least expensive route and a natural one for those looking to get their feet wet without great expense. Don't invest in any expensive competition gear until you get your feet wet. Experience will likely change your initial views on what you want.

Additionally a production pistol with a couple of mags will equip you for other sports-IDPA, steel competition. MREED is also an active steel competitor IIRC. Spice is life! Try several. Most people tend to get hooked.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Three ways to get notified of local events:

1) Join the TX-IPSC mailing list. You'll see USPSA and Steel Challenge match notices posted here (all over, including Bulverde, Austin Rifle Club, Temple Gun Club and others).

2) Join the Texas Tactical mailing list. You'll see IDPA match notices posted here (typically at Austin Rifle Club and Cedar Ridge in Bulverde).

3) Join the CAPS club mailing list. You'll see IDPA match notices posted here (typically at Best of the West)

As ZW says, Steel Challenge is a nice, easy way to get into things. In fact there's a non-sanctioned Steel Challenge match tonight at Austin Rifle Club in Manor that's open to the public. It's $15 or $20 to shoot, typically five stages, so you'll shoot 25 strings of 5 targets (125 rounds minimum). I personally really enjoy Steel Challenge but don't have time to go tonight. It's a great group of shooters and a good way to get into shooting something other than paper without jumping straight in to "run and gun."

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    As for Divisions, here's a good site with explanations for USPSA. Here's one for IDPA. In reality there's a lot of crossover and as a new shooter I wouldn't get hung up in divisions, especially at a local match. Go, shoot, find out what you like and what you're willing to spend, and go from there.

Personally, I shoot Single Stack (1911 .45) and Production (Beretta PX4 9mm) in USPSA but I'm considering Carry Optics (a new division) and Pistol Caliber Carbine (a provisional division not offered in every match). For IDPA, I shoot Stock Service Pistol (SSP) with a Glock 17.

lvitsaP239

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Irving, Tx
    Yes, I am in Irving, but when I start doing more competitions I'll probably drive down to Austin or other places within a few hours, just to get more experience.

Thanks so much for the advice, guys! I really appreciate it. I will start checking these sites out, and hopefully will get to a match soon. :-D

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    There's a LOT of activity in the D/FW area. Head over to the local forum here and ask about it - folks that live up there will clue you in.

Don't spend money on gas you could spend on ammo. :)

StevenC.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    San Antonio
    I was hoping that anyone would have some recommendations on basic new shooter gear you would need.

holster (look to Bladetech or CompTac)
    mag holders for 4 magazines
    quality belt (consider a two belt system by double-alpha, or shooters connection)

you'll like electronic hearing protection over regular foam inserts or non-electric muffs
    a modest sized range bag

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    You might consider NRA High Power rifle matches fired from positions:
    Standing (offhand)
    rapid fire sitting
    rapid fire prone
    slow fire prone.

Slow fire 200 yard prone at PSC
    3 -20 round matches at 200

Slow Fire 600 yard prone matches at GTGC
    3 matches of 20 rounds each at 600 yards

You may not want to travel this far, but GTGC (Golden Triangle Gun Club) in Beaumont and PSC (Pearland Shooting Club) in Friendswood have very active competition schedules. Check their sites. There are lots of possibilities!

Have fun!

Flash

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    I'm in about the same position as the OP. Two of our sons shoot steel challenge and youth Scholastic Pistol Program. We may branch out into USPSA and do some more steel challenge matches South Of Houston. Husband and I may like to try it... Finally.

There is a intro match that sounds right up our alley at Area 59 this Sunday. We have only my eldest son's setup... (And he won't even come with us, he's busy with teenage socialization things)
    ... I bet his belt won't fit my hubby or me. His holster (Ghost holster) is a right handed one, so that's out for me as I'm a lefty. His Glock 34 has the magazine release setup for a righty, not sure how much of a pain it would be for
    me to shoot it as a lefty anyway. Sigh. It seems like a lot to overcome. For this weekend anyway.

Maybe we just go and talk to folks, or watch?
    Or
    Maybe my 12 year old can try it. He shoots competition same as my oldest, except rimfire. He has shot 9mm, could handle the Glock.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom