• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Kinda vague request, but Gristmill is good for a river near NB, however the food is better next door at Gruene River Grill. Husiache in NB, and Hays City Store in Wimberly are great, too.

Sisterdale has Blackboard BBQ, but it’s only open Th-Su.

I’d hit Garrison Bros in Hye for bourbon, Andalusia and Milam & Greene in Blanco for whisky.

For wine, Duchman in Wimberly, Grape Creek and/or Augusta Vin in the big town. Otto’s is good food and a bit off the beaten path of downtown.

LBJ state park and national historic site are good, brief visits.

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Alamo Springs Cafe SE of Fredericksburg for a burger and brew. Very hidden and remote, so look it up. Cool place, great burger and worth the effort.

If you're into the wineries, we've been to Becker on 290 east of Fredericksburg and also Augusta Vin off 16 south of town. Both really nice and relaxing settings and decent wine, not that I'm much of a wine expert.

Main St. in Fredericksburg seems to have predictably gotten really commercialized over the last decade or more, though decent shops the wife might like. 78624 The Bar is a really cool place for a beer or craft cocktail with a speak easy vibe on Main about a half block east of Llano/16.

And you mentioned Luckenbach. We usually make a trip out there when in the area. We saw Micky and the Motorcars in concert there in February and had a blast. So check out their listings to see if anyone is playing.

We got engaged down there in '92 and have made a point to go back pretty regularly since. A lot has changed, some good, some not so good. But still a nice place to spend a few days.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Alamo Springs Cafe SE of Fredericksburg for a burger and brew. Very hidden and remote, so look it up. Cool place, great burger and worth the effort.

If you're into the wineries, we've been to Becker on 290 east of Fredericksburg and also Augusta Vin off 16 south of town. Both really nice and relaxing settings and decent wine, not that I'm much of a wine expert.

Main St. in Fredericksburg seems to have predictably gotten really commercialized over the last decade or more, though decent shops the wife might like. 78624 The Bar is a really cool place for a beer or craft cocktail with a speak easy vibe on Main about a half block east of Llano/16.

And you mentioned Luckenbach. We usually make a trip out there when in the area. We saw Micky and the Motorcars in concert there in February and had a blast. So check out their listings to see if anyone is playing.

We got engaged down there in '92 and have made a point to go back pretty regularly since. A lot has changed, some good, some not so good. But still a nice place to spend a few days.
    Google shows Alamo Springs Cafe to be permanently closed. I'll give them a call to make sure.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Google shows Alamo Springs Cafe to be permanently closed. I'll give them a call to make sure.
    Just looked this up on their Facebook page. Kinda sucks
    Screenshot_20240903_075236_Chrome.jpg

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I really liked that place, and my two vegetarian daughters loved it too. Good food and a cool place to visit.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    We arrived at our Airb&b yesterday afternoon and saw a Wildflour less than a mile from where we are staying. It is closed on Monday and Tuesday. There is another Wildflour 4-5 miles away so we went there. It was great! Thanks to @Moonpie for the suggestion. We will be trying some of the other suggestions you folks have made.

We have a nice place here but the neighbors are kinda nosy.

IMG_6329.jpeg

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Got back home late yesterday. We had a great time, very relaxing trip. We couldn't believe the amount of deer in the area. It was obvious that they have no pressure from hunters, they were practically tame.

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

d3.jpg

We ate at Wildflour Artisan Bakery & Grill in Canyon Lake. We liked it so good, we ate there twice.

Also, we ate at Cooper's BBQ in New Braunfels . How did I not know about this place? I want to camp in their parking lot and eat there every day!

The hill country is beautiful. It reminded me of some parts of the Blue Ridge mountains in southwest Virginia.

Top Bottom