Hurley's Gold

Cob Tumbling Media, best bulk 20/40 grit prices?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    What do you pay for bulk 20/40 grit, and where (URL, or brick and mortar)?
    (Yeah, I don't care about wet stainless-rod tumbling...)

I very-moist tumble with Brasso and a solvent (Mineral spirits, denatured ethanol, or similar), no dust, and it works well enough for me...
    (Walnut can NOT be used, due to an allergy of a shooter in the family.)
    DK Firearms

Txmark

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Mustang Ridge
    I use white long grain rice and NuFinish. 5 lbs at the grocery store will fill my tumbler. Come home, throw the brass in, and let it run for about 1-1/2 hours. Shiny and clean, I don’t deprime before cleaning. Easy to tell when it needs changing. Cheaper and easier than anything I’ve tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: gll

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    I use walnut reptile bedding... and NuFinish car polish...

You probably won't beat the price you can find on Amazon.
    I actually did, someone on another forum recommended Granger.
    Looks like 40lbs for about $45 for 20 grit, and $46 for about 40 grit.
    I happen to be going past 3 Grainger pickup stops in the next few days, maybe I'll stop by...
    Then again the following option looks pretty-good too:
    I use white long grain rice and NuFinish. 5 lbs at the grocery store will fill my tumbler. Come home, throw the brass in, and let it run for about 1-1/2 hours. Shiny and clean, I don’t deprime before cleaning. Easy to tell when it needs changing. Cheaper and easier than anything I’ve tried.
    THAT is something I have heard of others doing, and with all cob media being over $1/lb, however this is... what, $10.58 for 20 lbs at Wallyworld, which is about 1/2 the price, and w/media being disposable anyways, 1/2 the cost IS always worth trying out...

I do keep some emergency tornado supplies, just in case, and guess what I have PLENTY of, already in the house?
    1658670913222.png

My last batch of cob media is almost dirty enough to pitch, BUT how will this handle Brasso cut (thinned) with some Denatured Alcohol/Mineral Spirits in the media? Hmmmm. I might give this a try today, since it is already on hand. I wanted to try that NuFinish, but have yet to jump on that train, just yet. People starving all over the planet, and we shoot and prep brass with food, and throw it away... :)

EDIT: Damn, I just realized that I burned the last of my denatured on the last brass-tumble, yesterday.
    I guess I am making a trip to Lowe's today, and on the way I might see if I can get some NuFinish too.

Top Bottom