• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    really handy if you do alot of rapid fire.
    as i understand it thats the ebst time to use them. unless im thinking of something else.

Dsparil

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    ah sounds good then. I do a lot of rapid fire sequences. I was just concerning about wear and tear on the upper receiver per se as it's made of aluminum and chrome/chromium is tougher than steel so I was worried about the upper getting all torn to hell.

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    I have an AR that I am HARD on.........and I have never worn out a bolt carrier........EVER.

My recommendation would be to spend the money somewhere else - BUT - it's your gun, so do what makes YOU happy.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I would skip the chrome and opt for a better coating like NP3.

Motor oil also runs a hell of alot better than most your standard lubricants on AR15s. I stand by it 100% for the impingement guns.

Dsparil

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    texas1911 precisely what I was thinking. and yeah there's a guy out here in houston who does IPSC with beretta handguns and I think he uses 2 parts motor oil by 1 part CLP as a combo lube for his shit. he put some on an m9 I used to own, and it was SLICK. know where to buy readily available mp3 coated m-16 bolt carriers(not ar-15)

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    texas1911 precisely what I was thinking. and yeah there's a guy out here in houston who does IPSC with beretta handguns and I think he uses 2 parts motor oil by 1 part CLP as a combo lube for his shit. he put some on an m9 I used to own, and it was SLICK. know where to buy readily available mp3 coated m-16 bolt carriers(not ar-15)

I don't see why you couldn't take your existing F/A bolt carrier and have it coated.

We started using motor oil and noticed a large difference in longevity between cleaning cycles and oil remaining, rather than drying up, on our own guns.

We then started using it on our AR15 at work, which sees a thousand rounds a week with few cleaning cycles, it made the gun run longer and stay cleaner because it emulsified the carbon and powder residue rather than letting it accrue and bake on.

Later, a friend of ours whom is an ex-SEAL said it was no secret to him and that they had been using motor oil for a long time, and even in the field. Namely it was easy to find anywhere, and it worked well in ARs. He used Mobil 1, which is cheap and easy to find.

I think Royal Purple with it's properties would be an excellent gun oil. They seem to excel in maintaining cold lubricity and film shear strength.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    any specific brand of motor oil?

I've heard of these two before, and a friend of mine is a designated marksmen in the USMC (I think it was him that told me this) that just about any synthetic motor oil makes a good gun oil.

......................Later, a friend of ours whom is an ex-SEAL said it was no secret to him and that they had been using motor oil for a long time, and even in the field. Namely it was easy to find anywhere, and it worked well in ARs. He used Mobil 1, which is cheap and easy to find.

I think Royal Purple with it's properties would be an excellent gun oil. They seem to excel in maintaining cold lubricity and film shear strength.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Hmmm, I might have to dig through the garage and see if I have any RP left, or get a bottle of 0W30 Mobil 1 for this purpose...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Lube it with grease, especially a grease that contains molybdenum disulfide. The "moly" bonds to the metal like the ZLube claims to, so even if you blow the grease out...

InnocentBystander has a few ARs he lubed like this and has been very impressed. So have the people he's showed the grease method to. There's a how-to on Youtube somewhere, James Yeager did it. I think I'll have to shoot a how-to of my own (I have some spare time now that the wife went to LA) sometime in the next week or so and post it.

Top Bottom