• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    I met her and her dad through my father in law he is an estate lawyer for millionaire/billionaire families, one of her specialties is business attire.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The closest thing I've ever had to a suit is dress blues in the AF. I definitely don't ever want to wear one on a regular basis, but I wouldn't mind getting one for the odd occasion.

a few questions need to be answered...
    1. 32
    2. 6'3" 250lbs, I'm barrel chested but as I'm getting older the barrel is starting to extend into my gut, lol...
    3. Not sure what setting... Sometimes I just have the urge to dress sharp and look like I could be the devil incarnate.

So what kind of suit do I need?

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I actually own a perfectly fitted blazer I got from a thrift store in CA for $20, so my suit worries are gone (Pretty miraculous considering my fit is very rare).

I won't comment on what I like, but I can tell you what I don't like. Many here have mentioned ill-fitting suits. I agree 1,000%. There is just no point in putting on a suit if you end up looking like a schlub anyway.

I also hate when people wear jeans, a cowboy hat, and a blazer (think of Wayne Wright). I know many will hate me for saying that, but seriously- jeans and cowboy hats are for grunt work and suits are for stepping out. Just my opinion. Remember- I have no shame wearing a fitted suit, polished shoes, and frickin' fedora, so I might be going a little overboard in the other direction.

A few years ago I had a few different people tell me a trick on how to pick a sharp looking suit. Go to a nice, respectable, black church, and look at what the older gentlemen are wearing. Odds are very high it will look very good without being gaudy. Never tried it myself but I imagine it's good advice.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The closest thing I've ever had to a suit is dress blues in the AF. I definitely don't ever want to wear one on a regular basis, but I wouldn't mind getting one for the odd occasion.

1. 32
    2. 6'3" 250lbs, I'm barrel chested but as I'm getting older the barrel is starting to extend into my gut, lol...
    3. Not sure what setting... Sometimes I just have the urge to dress sharp and look like I could be the devil incarnate.

So what kind of suit do I need?

seriously, go to half price books or look on Amazon and buy Dress For Success by Molloy. It will tell you everything you need to know, from how to identifyvone tgat wont wrinkle to colors, patterns, matching shirts and ties. You cannot go wrong.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Since I've been retired, my rule of thumb is: If I need to dress up, I'm in the wrong place and with the wrong people! Yes, I had "Dress For Success" and played by the rules for a long time. Being a teacher, too, I did the usual educator clothing crap and hated it.

Now here's a different idea...............I bought a black leather sport coat at Leather Up.com. It wasn't very expensive at all and the quality was great! The last interview I went to, I wore that coat, a tasteful plaid shirt and a western string tie. I got the job but it turned out to be something I didn't want so I passed on it. It looked great and I could wear something different than the norm. Try Leather Up. I've bought some great stuff, there!

Flash

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Since I've been retired, my rule of thumb is: If I need to dress up, I'm in the wrong place and with the wrong people! Yes, I had "Dress For Success" and played by the rules for a long time. Being a teacher, too, I did the usual educator clothing crap and hated it.

Now here's a different idea...............I bought a black leather sport coat at Leather Up.com. It wasn't very expensive at all and the quality was great! The last interview I went to, I wore that coat, a tasteful plaid shirt and a western string tie. I got the job but it turned out to be something I didn't want so I passed on it. It looked great and I could wear something different than the norm. Try Leather Up. I've bought some great stuff, there!

Flash

Haha too funny.

Went with a Light grey shadow-striped 3 piecer, and a dark almost charcoal grey shadow-striped three piecer. Getting them tailored this week.

Also picked up a beige two buttoner on end of season clearance. 2 pieces for 23 dollars total. And it looks great with my Tony Llamas.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Fit is very important.

Something else is very important here in Texas as well: MATERIAL!
    It is hot as hell here for a good part of the year. The times of the year when it's not hot outside, our fellow Texans have the heat cranked up everywhere indoors!
    If you don't have a lightweight suit on, you're gonna burn the hell up and become one of those people who hates wearing suits.

Try to stay away from vests. It's an extra piece of clothing that's really not necessary (you're already wearing a doggone suit!).

Double breasted's fall out of fashion from time to time. Suits are typically built to last for many years (with the proper care), so if you have a double breasted suit, the odds are good that you will have an unusable suit hanging in your closet for several years at a time.

Three button suits come up a little higher, showing less tie. Two buttons leave a little more of the shirt and tie open. -again, important for a warmer climate state like ours.

I've worn suits often for about fifteen years now, and these are some of the things I have learned.

You'll notice I didn't mention anything about color. As long as you don't look too much like this:
    obama5.jpg
    (one extreme)

or Elton John (the complete opposite extreme), you should be okay.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    seriously, go to half price books or look on Amazon and buy Dress For Success by Molloy. It will tell you everything you need to know, from how to identifyvone tgat wont wrinkle to colors, patterns, matching shirts and ties. You cannot go wrong.

Great book and some libraries even have a copy for scanning purposes.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Before I got into public school teaching, I was in business and began teaching at OSU. Here's the REAL drill on formal meetings........

They suit up to greet and make introductions then ditch the jackets before they get down to business. It's pretty important to wear a long sleeve shirt and a real tie (no clip ons!) but they dump the coats pronto. Button the coat while standing and unbutton before you sit. When the head guy sheds his coat, you ditch yours.

Shoes? As long as you don't wear Nike's/ high top tennies, I haven't found that it makes a darned bit of difference what you wear. DON'T wear something uncomfortable as that will will make you show stress and the customer will sense that. Go for comfort over anything else. Towards the end, I wore black athletic shoes.

Make sure your tie is LONG enough. I am long in the body so the small end of the tie ends up very short. You can either buy expensive ties that are long enough or tuck the stub end in your shirt like I did.

Watch your colors. Brown and green don't work well in business. As a big guy, I wore blue and black pinstripes in 3 piece suits and was so powerful that I unnerved people. I had to tone it down with solid colors. Pinstripes should be small to avoid the gangster look. I have some pics of me in a 3 piece pinstripe suit and it says "Don't jack with me!" It's not the open, comfortable look that makes sales or deals.

At one place that I taught in Oklahoma, they sent out a memo that we all had to wear ties. That really pissed me off as the business classes had A/C but the industry classes had NO air! I got a tiny kids red bow tie and wore that for days. After a while, they quit jacking with me about ties. It showed up as a hit on my evaluation but they still made me Department Chair!

I remember the rules. Thank God I'm through with that crap!

Flash

Top Bottom