• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chief DAC

USN MNC Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    Wood County Texas
    I currently have a valid Texas CHL (expires in 2024). in the last few years I have lost much of my vision due to macular degeneration. I am considered legally blind, but can still see shapes and colors. I retired from the US Navy as a CPO after 22 years. I have been shooting most of my life. In the last 10 years I have shot In Cowboy Action and Cowboy Fast Draw competition. My question is "Can I renew my CHL/LTC when it expires?
    Chief DAC MNC, USN Retired
    Target Sports

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Technically - probably not.

Practically - I don’t recall the application asking about one’s vision, so who’s going to know if you don’t tell them?…

Thank you for your service sir, and welcome to TGT!

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Practically - I don’t recall the application asking about one’s vision, so who’s going to know if you don’t tell them?…
    Correct. I just renewed again this month and there was no question about vision.
    And there is, of course, no range re-qualification required.

Reactions: gll

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Technically - probably not.

Thank you for your service sir, and welcome to TGT!
    Instructor I know had a blind guy shoot and pass. Hung bells on the target frame.
    No written restrictions on vision.

Chief DAC

USN MNC Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    Wood County Texas
    Instructor I know had a blind guy shoot and pass. Hung bells on the target frame.
    No written restrictions on vision.
    That is interesting. One of the concessions they make in Cowboy Fast Drraw is to tie a buzzer to the light on the target so visually impaired folks know when the light triggers. I would like to find an instructor whos works with the blind.

Dave Z

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2021
    Roanoke, TX
    Discharging a firearm without knowing your target and whats beyond it is a serious safety hazard.
    This is unless you can get the perpitrator to ring a bell or flash a light to identify himself?
    Time to face the facts and move on.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Discharging a firearm without knowing your target and whats beyond it is a serious safety hazard.
    This is unless you can get the perpitrator to ring a bell or flash a light to identify himself?
    So, if a blind person is mugged/assaulted they should just have to take it is your position?

Pretty sure if I was getting stomped on by a group or an individual I could make a contact shot on the attacker and be pretty damned sure of my target, even without the use of my eyes.

Put the bangy part on the stompy part and go.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    If renewal is done online or through snail mail, I don't recall an eye/sight test in any of the questions.

As far as blind shooting goes, there's a guy that is a participant in the Adaptive Disabled shooting Summit (ADSS) that's held at Sig Academy in September that is a helluva shot. I don't know why you couldn't be as well.

I should state that he's legally blind, walks with red tip and wears coke bottle glasses type blind, but still quite accurate in a "mini, static IDPA" type setting.

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring

I disagree.

Pretty sure if I was getting stomped on by a group or an individual I could make a contact shot on the attacker and be pretty damned sure of my target, even without the use of my eyes.

I remember reading about a completely blind man in a wheelchair who had a concealed carry license in another state. Like Texas, the shooting test was so easy he could pass even without eyesight.

He chose to carry a revolver with 5-in-1 blanks. His strategy was exactly what Hoji describes - only take a shot at muzzle contact range.

I think that's workable.

And the OP isn't fully blind, even. My uncorrected vision would qualify as "legally blind", too, and I feel fairly sure I could decide when and how to take a shot under most circumstances.

OP should renew and, like we all should all the time, just remain aware of his limitations.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I disagree.

I remember reading about a completely blind man in a wheelchair who had a concealed carry license in another state. Like Texas, the shooting test was so easy he could pass even without eyesight.

He chose to carry a revolver with 5-in-1 blanks. His strategy was exactly what Hoji describes - only take a shot at muzzle contact range.

I think that's workable.

And the OP isn't fully blind, even. My uncorrected vision would qualify as "legally blind", too, and I feel fairly sure I could decide when and how to take a shot under most circumstances.

OP should renew and, like we all should all the time, just remain aware of his limitations.
    Back in 2014, when I took my last eye test for my DL, I was noted as being "legally blind" as far as operating a motor vehicle in the state of Texas.

I can see well enough to defend myself if I have to. Also can hit the broad side of most any barn!

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I have tought legally blind people to shoot. Some, more than accurate enough to pass the qualifications for LTC. If they can recognize a person, they can shoot them. My wife is one of those. Even totally blind, at very close or contact range hitting the target is not a problem.

I do custom leather work. Pretty darned decent too. I know a totally blind guy that makes mine look like shit. I have seen the totally blind do wood work on a table saw, router and drill press. That had never used those tools before.
    People telling them they "can't" hold them back more than their eyesight does for a lot of things.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom