• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Burke

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Azle
    Anyone else do these chili competitions?... I cooked at the Mineral Wells VFW last year and ended up qualifying for Terlingua. Cooked down there and got quite the education, but had an absolute blast. I will be defending my title in Mineral Wells on the 10th & 11th of April.

There are BBQ & drink competitions as well... if you guys can make it out, you should come.

IMG_5118_zpsaozrcrag.jpg

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Don't do the official competitions, but I do one at work every year. They have it during rodeo time. Highest I've gotten is 3rd place. Generally I don't place, even though everyone says it's so good AND it's empty when most pots are not. Unfortunately, I feel that the "competition" is rigged. Administration tends to be the winners. Also, they allow "not chili" chili like chicken, pork, beans, hominy, tomato chunks, etc. so when I make true Texas chili, they don't know what to do with it.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I have done a few local competitions that were done in a professional manner.
    I would rather do it that way then impromptu "competitions" where anything can be called chili.

Our competition chili rules are simple. Meat and Sauce. No chunks of anything allowed. You want beans in there???
    Put them in a blender and add them to your sauce!

I did one at a church and there were people bringing all sorts of abominations and calling it chili and the judges just went with what they liked because there were no baseline rules for entries or judging. I won't do those types again.

It's like a guy who entered his new off the lot Prowler he had bought the first year they came out and took it to the local Cruise Night and won first place.... what a joke, there were nice resto-mods and restored classics there and that jackass drove a production car up there and won.

Burke

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Azle
    this one is Tolbert sanctioned... meat & sauce

as far as leftovers... at this particular event, you turn in a styrofoam cup of Chili to get judged. After the awards, cooks are first, and then everyone else can try the entries... but lots of the BBQ cooks are handing out samples while they're cooking

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I would actually like to learn how to make a decent Chili. Mine sucks and is just something I whip up and isn't really Chili I guess. I can BBQ all day long but Chili...nope. Any useful tips other than just meat and sauce which is a given?

Burke

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Azle
    STEP 1:
    2 lbs. Course ground beef (chili grand)
    1 TBS Cooking oil
    1 TBS Granulated onion

Add ingredients together and lightly brown meat
    STEP 2
    Add:
    1 can (8oz) Tomato Sauce
    1can Beef Broth – I used 15oz
    Cook for 30 minutes

STEP 3
    Add:
    1 TBS Dark Chili Powder
    2 TBS Light Chili Powder
    1 tsp Garlic powder
    1/2 tsp Salt
    1/2 TBS Cumin
    1/2 tsp Cayenne
    1/2 tsp White Pepper
    1 tsp Chicken Granules or 1 cube

Cook for 1 hour
    Step 4:
    Add:
    1 TBS Light Chili Powder
    1 TBS Dark Chili Powder
    1 tsp Paprika
    1/4 TBS Cumin
    1/4 TBS Ginger

Add water (Beer) if needed.
    Leave covered and simmer for 30 minutes.

Add 1 tsp of White Pepper 10 minutes before turn in for heat

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've never entered a real competition; seems like too much work. My chili doesn't qualify as traditional anyways because I use chunks of meat in addition to the ground (I prefer the chunky texture) , and I like beans in it. Purists don't know what they are missing.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I've never entered a real competition; seems like too much work. My chili doesn't qualify as traditional anyways because I use chunks of meat in addition to the ground (I prefer the chunky texture) , and I like beans in it. Purists don't know what they are missing.

No beans for me, but I always make a batch from the same pot for the wife, with beans.

Gotta admit that the leftover chili w/beans, served over rice a couple of days later, is pretty hard to beat as a combination.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Chili can have whatever the hell you want in it. Purists be damned lol.
    Thank god for some people showing a little good sense. I get so tied of listening to Texas Chili Nazi's. It's like saying there is only one kind of BBQ. It's nuts.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Thank god for some people showing a little good sense. I get so tied of listening to Texas Chili Nazi's. It's like saying there is only one kind of BBQ. It's nuts.
    There is... No sauce. Chili, at home, can have whatever you want. Chili, at a competition, has to have standardized rules. If you don't, then there's no accurate way of judging.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    There is... No sauce. Chili, at home, can have whatever you want. Chili, at a competition, has to have standardized rules. If you don't, then there's no accurate way of judging.
    Cus the best tasting just isn't good enough because what you call chili might not win! Even if you do have rules it doesn't mean it can only be Texas chili or nothing, and if you think there is only one BBQ then I feel sorry for you. Now go harass someone for calling a mag a clip or whatever else it is you get yourself worked up over.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Cus the best tasting just isn't good enough because what you call chili might not win! Even if you do have rules it doesn't mean it can only be Texas chili or nothing, and if you think there is only one BBQ then I feel sorry for you. Now go harass someone for calling a mag a clip or whatever else it is you get yourself worked up over.

Panties in a bunch today?

Top Bottom