• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX

Guys, try the ground turkey some time. You might find that you like it. ;)

Healthy alternative to ground beef.

Here is a Cincinnati Chili recipe. Another place that, like Texas, is very well known for its Chili recipes:

CincinnitiChili3.jpg

1 large onion chopped
    1 pound extra-lean ground beef
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon ground allspice
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon red (cayenne) pepper
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa or 1/2 ounce grated unsweetened chocolate
    1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon cider vinegar
    1/2 cup water
    1 (16-ounce) package uncooked dried spaghetti pasta
    Toppings (see below)

In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, saute onion, ground beef, garlic, and chili powder until ground beef is slightly cooked. Add allspice, cinnamon, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, unsweetened cocoa or chocolate, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, cider vinegar, and water. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 1 1/2 hours. Remove from heat.

Cook spaghetti according to package directions and transfer onto individual serving plates (small oval plates are traditional).
    Ladle chili over spaghetti and serve with toppings of your choice. Oyster crackers are served in a separate container on the side.

Toppings:
    Oyster Crackers
    Shredded Cheddar Cheese
    Chopped Onion
    Kidney Beans (16-ounce) can
    DK Firearms

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've had Georgia Chili, Texas Chili, and Coonass Chili.All were great and made on the same idea.
    I never heard of putting turkey in Chili. Never!!
    You never know what might be in coonass chili. Could be beef, deer, turkey, squirrel, opossum, or any other animal that coonass shot or ran over the day before. I'm from Louisiana and have eaten it all, lol...

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    You never know what might be in coonass chili. Could be beef, deer, turkey, squirrel, opossum, or any other animal that coonass shot or ran over the day before. I'm from Louisiana and have eaten it all, lol...

My family is from Monroe and Thibodaux, La...I was always taught that it was called GUMBO over there, not chilli!

And yep, I've had all that and more in gumbo...and alligator that was killed right under the house...

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    that seals it, you are worse than just the liberal we suspected you of being all along...you are a pinko commie who has no appreciation for all that is pure and right and holy with america, much less with the great republic of texas. You have commited the gravest of sins by even suggesting that there is another way to cook chilli. Chilli can only be cooked according to casi standards or it is not chilli, it is some other kind of yankee-commie-pinko-liberal-leftwing-anti-american dish that was thought up to confuse the masses and thawart the laws and the constitution it's self. This is the real root of all of this countries problems, people like you who don't understand what chilli is and isn't, and that there must be rules that we all follow or we have anarchy! Anarchy i say....

burn him burn him burn him burn him!!!!

lolololololol...

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Gumbo usually has okra in it, plus it's heat comes from peppers other than chili. If it has enough chili power in it to turn bright red, then you can call it a chili, lol... I don't really like rules when I'm cooking up stuff, but spaghetti??? Come on, Clockwork... That's just not right.

Texsun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Guys, try the ground turkey some time. You might find that you like it. ;)

Healthy alternative to ground beef.

Here is a Cincinnati Chili recipe. Another place that, like Texas, is very well known for its Chili recipes:

CincinnitiChili3.jpg

1 large onion chopped
    1 pound extra-lean ground beef
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon ground allspice
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon red (cayenne) pepper
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa or 1/2 ounce grated unsweetened chocolate
    1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon cider vinegar
    1/2 cup water
    1 (16-ounce) package uncooked dried spaghetti pasta
    Toppings (see below)

In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, saute onion, ground beef, garlic, and chili powder until ground beef is slightly cooked. Add allspice, cinnamon, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, unsweetened cocoa or chocolate, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, cider vinegar, and water. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 1 1/2 hours. Remove from heat.

Cook spaghetti according to package directions and transfer onto individual serving plates (small oval plates are traditional).
    Ladle chili over spaghetti and serve with toppings of your choice. Oyster crackers are served in a separate container on the side.

Toppings:
    Oyster Crackers
    Shredded Cheddar Cheese
    Chopped Onion
    Kidney Beans (16-ounce) can

Fail! The consensus here is turkey aint chili! Boo friggin hoo!

Texsun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    So what if it doesn't? He's looking for a mild recipe and I consider milder chili to have beans. Doesn't hurt nothin'. :)

That recipe you posted looks pretty solid. Whenever I start making chili I use a crockpot and just keep adding stuff and tasting until the flavor and the hotness get right. Always get high marks on it from whoever tries it although I did use this "Blair's Megadeath Sauce" this one time and the whole vat of chili was inedible and I mean REALLY inedible as in when I go to a Thai or an Indian restaurant I tell them to "HURT ME" with the heat they put on it and I laugh in the face of their feeble attempts but this chili was forged in Mordor on the slope of Mount Doom.

Consider ground turkey meat, too. Makes for good chili as well as ground beef.

^^^^^^^^^^^Oopsie!

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    Gumbo usually has okra in it, plus it's heat comes from peppers other than chili. If it has enough chili power in it to turn bright red, then you can call it a chili, lol... I don't really like rules when I'm cooking up stuff, but spaghetti??? Come on, Clockwork... That's just not right.

Ok, I'll give you that one...it is coonass chilli unless you add okra, then it becomes gumbo, not TEXAS Chilli, which can only be cooked to CASI rules...

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Margaret Nadeau
    Boerne, Texas
    "Sahara Chili"

2005 & 2009
    Terlingua International Chili Championship Winner

Step 1

I just made this recipe except with my venison/pork grind and I added half a can of tomato paste and two links of my cut up venison/pork sausage. It is amazing! Thanks again for the recipe

Buck Nekkid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    San Antonio
    There's Texas Chili and then there's bean soup. One should never confuse one for the other. Now if you're makin' bean soup only Pinto Beans are allowed...I swear that no one reads the durn rules!!

Top Bottom