Cheaper Than Dirt Guns! New Store in Austin.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Avoid the Dick after what it did to Troy and customers that ordered.
    I don't shop at Dick's. I don't shop at CTD.

I also don't buy Troy products after they unapologetically hired a "law enforcement agent" who participated at Ruby Ridge as a sniper spotter.

CTD can charge what they want. If they were pulling the bait and switch they are shady and should be called out.

I would say im sick of hearing about CTD but as new folks come into the gun world, they need to be steered in the right direction.

If not CTD the who?

Midway
    Brownells
    Buds
    Palmeto State
    ?

Dont just rip on CTD, offer up more reputable businesses to the new comers.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I would say im sick of hearing about CTD but as new folks come into the gun world, they need to be steered in the right direction.

If not CTD the who?

Midway
    Brownells
    Buds
    Palmeto State
    ?

Dont just rip on CTD, offer up more reputable businesses to the new comers.

I would offer up Copes, a forum sponsor among others.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    You have people that talk about liberty and the Constitution and our free market and capitalism and 'Murica! but yet I don't think any of them ever took a business class.
    Let something come into demand and the prices go up and suddenly, the business owner who still has product you are wanting, is now a price-gouger.

I hear so many people whine about Cheaper Than Dirt being a price-gouger during a lousy period of time in our government, but I still see the same politicians getting elected to the senate and congress with little change over. What's with that?

You want to lambast a business owner because they're in business to make a profit??
    Do you hear yourselves?
    You know, I remember when no one had ammunition. I was one of the few people that had hundreds of rounds of 22LR, but got caught with my pants down on 9mm and 5.56.
    When the idiots known as 'Joe Prepper' would go on a site and buy every single round of ammunition someone had at the regular price, that left guys like me twisting in the wind with nothing but 22LR and firearms I couldn't shoot.
    Then came smart businesses like Cheaper Than Dirt and Lucky Gunner. Both have been accused of price-gouging by all the professional business Rockefellers out there.
    I myself sure disliked having to pay so much for ammunition, but I was thankful it was there to buy.
    And I couldn't blame anyone else but myself. Had I stayed on top of my shooting and my supplies for it, I wouldn't have been in such a bind.
    I put myself there, not Cheaper Than Dirt or Lucky Gunner.
    Remember, these guys aren't making you buy their ammo. You can turn and go somewhere else. Or do without.
    Price gouging to me only exists for things you need to survive, like food and water.
    Not ammunition. Regardless of what you may think, you don't need it to survive.

Next time you run into what you think is a price gouger, remember you're probably looking at a very shrewd and successful business person, the same one who actually still has the product you are wanting. It might be at an elevated price, but it's there.
    You can take it or leave it.

I clicked on this thread when the update alert popped up with the full intention of kicking your ass (keyboard style) because the limited version on the alert made it look like you were possibly a CTD principle.

I agree with you.

And so do a bunch of others here as you will find if you do a little digging around in the Oct '12 - Feb '13 threads. We have discussed gouging, joe prepper (all fine and good), neck-beards (the ammo flippers who caused the majority of the problems for guys like you may they burn in hell for all eternity) and a whole array of economic factors.

I'm pretty sure that last ammo shortage turned a whole lot of folks into "preppers" of sorts. I know I have a reserve stock of ammo now that does not get touched.

And so should everyone else lest the pants get caught around our ankles once again.

To come on here and use your first post to call us economic dimwits (my take on what you wrote) is insulting and very much mis-directed. You have no idea the amount of economic wisdom and knowledge that lurks on the other side of your screen. Some of these guys are straight up brilliant.

What you did, and I can't tell whether or not it was intentional, by oversimplifying the subject matter and the underlying motivations of thousands of people into a simple tale of economic woe and ignorance adds nothing to the discussion aside from one thing...

People will read what you wrote and the insulting tone you took (intentional or un-intentional) and automatically think you're an asshole.

In short and if such were your motivations then it would have been much simpler just to go to the introduction thread and say

Puma said:
    Hey guys! I just wanted to pop in and say hi and let you know that I'm using my first post to tell you that I'm an asshole and you're all a bunch of economically retarded hicks and rednecks.

Last edited:

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    No one's mad at them for raising their prices to absurd highs during the panic. We're mad at them for canceling orders that were made at good prices then telling their customers if they want the items they'll have to pay the new, higher prices.

Oh, yeah, and I once ordered a 90 package from them that was stolen from my front porch which they wouldn't replace because I waited over thirty days to call them about it. So they can eat shit in Hell.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Let something come into demand and the prices go up and suddenly, the business owner who still has product you are wanting, is now a price-gouger.
    You obviously haven't read this thread or others and taken time to understand the situation. Do you work for CTD?

1) CTD put out a blog post supporting the Toomey-Manchin proposal. My guess is they were salivating at the prospect of doing government mandated transfers on private firearm sales.
    2) When the panic hit, CTD canceled orders that were in their system, increased prices by 300% or more, and told people they had to re-place their order at the new prices. To me this is the same as breaking a contract; welching on a deal.
    3) Doesn't matter the reason; if you piss off your customers then you lose their business. No one needs a business degree to figure that one out.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I give it about a 95-5% chance that Puma does not have the balls to come back here and address the issues with his posting.

Still think they were 'EgoSurfing' when they came across the tread and thought they would set us all straight.

Another one and done.........................................

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    I give it about a 95-5% chance that Puma does not have the balls to come back here and address the issues with his posting.

Still think they were 'EgoSurfing' when they came across the tread and thought they would set us all straight.

Another one and done.........................................

I am certain that Puma was a hit and run poster. I vote for immediate ban.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Puma has done nothing but state an opinion that differs from many, hardly a bannable offense. And he can't defend his position if he is banned.

Peace, love, and happiness :p

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    Puma certainly motivated me to continue my boycott of CTD. Not that I really needed any additional motivation.

$50 a box for 9mm, F Them.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    You obviously haven't read this thread or others and taken time to understand the situation. Do you work for CTD?

1) CTD put out a blog post supporting the Toomey-Manchin proposal. My guess is they were salivating at the prospect of doing government mandated transfers on private firearm sales.
    2) When the panic hit, CTD canceled orders that were in their system, increased prices by 300% or more, and told people they had to re-place their order at the new prices. To me this is the same as breaking a contract; welching on a deal.
    3) Doesn't matter the reason; if you piss off your customers then you lose their business. No one needs a business degree to figure that one out.
    I would like to see puma's answer to this statement. The above is the primary reason for the **** CTD attitude, not their prices.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Like I said, don't piss off your customers.

Some premium pricing was expected. A lot of the BS they pulled was not.

Not going to rehash about 100,000 posts on the topic.

Top Bottom