• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Charles Cotton - Remove Him from the NRA Board

Why is there someone like Charles Cotton on the NRA board? It's overly obvious that he thinks his opinion is the only one that matters, and the way he runs his forum is overwhelming proof of that. If you disagree with him on anything, your going to be banned from it. He's also supporting the anti gunners and willingly giving them ammo to use against us when it comes to open carry laws. He doesn't fully support the 2nd Amendment, so why is he on the NRA board?

http://trofire.com/2016/01/14/busin...-start-to-think-open-carry-isnt-a-great-idea/

In addition to negative public reaction, NRA board member Charles Cotton wrote:
    “I truly wish that open-carry supporters would admit that they were wrong and that there is a problem. If I cannot carry my self-defense handgun into a store because they put up 30.06 and 30.07 signs, then someone’s ability to show their handgun to everyone will have cost me the ability to defend myself.”

This is not the first time he fought against our right to carry in any way we please, and it won't be the last. I say we put an end to that here and now. We need to let the NRA know that this sort of behavior is not acceptable for an NRA board member. If you do not support the 2nd Amendment in it's entirety, then you do not need to be in a position of power in the NRA. I'm asking you to write letters, send emails, and spread this message to every forum, facebook group, twitter account, and blog you can think of so that we can get a true 2nd Amendment supporter added to the board, and get an opponent to our rights removed.
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Two questions:

1.) How does a 30.07 sign prevent him from carrying?

2.) If he is such a staunch supporter of gun rights, why is he disarming and patronizing any place that posts 30.06?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'd like to add a longer list of his statements against open carry or any other right he seems to have taken a stand against to the petition. Does anybody have links to any comments like this?

The NRA bylaws state that they cannot remove a board member outright, but you can force a recall election. This is our goal.

Last edited:

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Two questions:

1.) How does a 30.07 sign prevent him from carrying?

2.) If he is such a staunch supporter of gun rights, why is he disarming and patronizing any place that posts 30.06?

The 30.06 sign is the problem. I've seen places that were never posted before putting up both signs, 30.06 and 30.07.

The building where my cardiologist has his office was never posted before but now has 30.06 and 30.07 signs. This guy has saved my life a couple times and I trust him. I'm not going to look for another cardiologist.

I have no problem staying away from restaurant and retail stores that post 30.06 but almost every hospital and doctors office is posted since Jan.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    His statement about additional signs going up is EXACTLY what many here and on other boards have been bitching about since Jan 1.

He's going beyond that. He's blaming our right to open carry for those signs, and saying that we're wrong for fighting for that right.

“I truly wish that open-carry supporters would admit that they were wrong and that there is a problem. If I cannot carry my self-defense handgun into a store because they put up 30.06 and 30.07 signs, then someone’s ability to show their handgun to everyone will have cost me the ability to defend myself.”

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    He's going beyond that. He's blaming our right to open carry for those signs, and saying that we're wrong for fighting for that right.

That is I have read people bitching about.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio

Check https://www.texas3006.com/ and see how many new 30.06 signs have gone up with the 30.07 signs at places that were never posted prior to Jan 2016. New ones are being added every day at a rate never seen before.

The number of places we could carry prior to Jan 2016 has decreased. Are we safer now because we can open carry at Walmart and a few other places? Open carry at this point is not worth the trouble because 75% of the places I go to are posted 30.07.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    The 30.06 sign is the problem. I've seen places that were never posted before putting up both signs, 30.06 and 30.07.

The building where my cardiologist has his office was never posted before but now has 30.06 and 30.07 signs. This guy has saved my life a couple times and I trust him. I'm not going to look for another cardiologist.

I have no problem staying away from restaurant and retail stores that post 30.06 but almost every hospital and doctors office is posted since Jan.

The majority of the signs around here have already come back down. May just be around here, but that's what I have noticed. It's getting harder and harder to even find a 30.06 sign outside of the medical facilities and malls that were already posted. Almost all of the medical facilities around here were posted 30.06 before open carry was even proposed. Any time there is change, there are going to be some that panic. Once that panic subsides, clearer heads prevail. From what I've heard (and I could be wrong), but didn't the same panic/sign posting happen when Texas passed the original concealed carry laws?

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I have yet to see a single member of this forum openly denounce open carry and say that it was a mistake to win that right back. Cotton on the other hand seems to have a history of fighting against this right.

I have no objection to open carry but it's passing has decreased the number of places where I can carry. I don't have the answer as to what will make the situation better. Maybe just time.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have no objection to open carry but it's passing has decreased the number of places where I can carry. I don't have the answer as to what will make the situation better. Maybe just time.

As fishingsetx said, most of those places are already taking down their signs because they realized they were being stupid. For the rest, simply don't go to them. They have a right to run their business how they want, just as we have a right to spend our money elsewhere.

Now back to the original topic. Cotton has been against open carry for awhile now. This sign issue was not the turning point for him. Remember when the NRA condemned open carry activists in Texas and were met with a lot of backlash? Cotton had a hand in that. This is from another forum that was having a similar discussion about ol Cotton a few years back. Notice how his actions were deliberately avoiding the open carry issue? (These are paraphrased, though I will try to find the actual posts if possible)

1. "TSRA will not support open carry unless the membership demands it."
    2. "TSRA members do not support open carry."
    3. "No, there hasn't been a poll of TSRA members about open carry, but I talked with (a select few) members at the annual meeting, and nobody brought up open carry as a priority."
    4. "No, TSRA will not waste member resources on a poll about open carry. If it's important enough to our members, they will let us know." (In response to multiple TSRA members requesting a poll, since the issue wasn't important enough to TSRA.)
    5. "TSRA will not take a position on open carry" (even though Alice Tripp and Cotton have made public and private statements against it.)

Last edited:

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Growing pains. I have a feeling if we revived this thread in a year, we'd see that a lot of the extra postings were just temporary. One thing I'd like to see on texas3006.com is a way to remove postings if the signs have come down. I know of at lease 5 gas stations here that have removed their signs or at least the 30.06 sign that went up 1/1/16 and several other businesses as well.

Gotta remember, this is completely new to any Texan alive that hasnt lived out of state and it's only been in effect 7 months. I think Mr. Cotton either just opposes open carry in general or doesn't understand these things take time to adjust to.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    GOne thing I'd like to see on texas3006.com is a way to remove postings if the signs have come down. I know of at lease 5 gas stations here that have removed their signs or at least the 30.06 sign that went up 1/1/16 and several other businesses as well.

On the left side of the page under the business name it says "Report". Click on that and you can let them know if a sign has been taken down. I believe you have to be a member.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    On the left side of the page under the business name it says "Report". Click on that and you can let them know if a sign has been taken down. I believe you have to be a member.
    Thanks! I'll have to check some of the local businesses and see if they are listed!

Top Bottom