• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TRay63

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    nc
    I have just purchased a CETME 308 with assorted 308 and military 7.62 ammo. The first two mags fired very good with no issues at all. I was very impressed with accuracy also. I dont recall if it was 7.62 ammo or the 308 rounds. Later I tried to fire another magazine of rounds through it and had problems. These were 308 rounds and they did not want to eject the round after firing and I also had several misfires related to the firing pin not striking the primer hard enough.
    I am completely new to the CETME and dont even have a manual, can anyone jump start me and point me in the right direction to fix these issues?!

Thanks,
    Ted
    Guns International

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Check the bolt face. I've never had that issue with the CETME or HK91, but a couple weeks ago I was shooting the HK21 and a couple belts into it I had the same issues. Lot's of misfires, hard to eject. It would still strip a round from the belt and extract it alright, but I couldn't get it to fire or eject. I pulled the bolt and scrubbed the face down, reassembled and it shot fine. All I could figure was there was too much crap in the recesses and the case wasn't fully seating in the bolt face. Could've been something else, I did do a bit more cleaning of the bolt and barrel face before I put it back together.

Cleaning the hell out of the rifle would be a good start. Those rifles tend to get crud in places that take some work to get to and the previous owner may not have done much more than barrel cleaning.

TRay63

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    nc
    I have been reading some other comments and questions on other sites and they are saying the same thing you are saying as well as the reply I got from Hawghauler. I am also reading some input about the magazines causing problems sooooooo, I have a list of things to check next time I am at the range. I am already kinda picky when it comes to weapons cleaning so I am confident that it will be cleaned very well. Will have to make some mag checks and find a place to get some really good 7.62 ammo to fire.
    Thanks guys for the input, I really appreciate it!

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    The magazine comment brought back some distant memories... I remember when I bought it, my CETME wouldn't function with cetme magazines. I tried an HK mag and it worked flawlessly. My HK91 and CETME now share the same mag pile.

As far as ammo goes, it functions fine on anything I feed it. I'm only shooting South African milsurp these days, but it ran fine on commercial as well. I do remember getting some bad surplus once though (Portugese maybe?) that wouldn't cycle the rifle.

TRay63

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    nc
    I have just spent an hour trying to ditinguish some differences in these mags. I have 3 types but cant see any markings to distinguish what types they are. They look old but in good shape and the spring in one of the mags I had problems with feals a little weak so that could be the issue with that mag. But what really has me puzzled is the issue with the firing pin not striking the round hard enough......like the bolt wasnt seating in the chamber for some reason.
    Any tips on where to purchase some good 7.62 milsurp in bulk??

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    CETME mags have a slight curve to them and are parkerized steel. HK mags are straight in parkerized steel or aluminum. HK aluminum mags run $1-$2 each.

TRay63

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    nc
    did some scrubbing and have determined two of these mags are from 1961 and have G3 stamped on them. Two from 1964 with G3 HK stamped on them and one with no markings at all that I can find. BUT, while sluthing trying to find some markings on them I have mixed the mags that worked fine with the mags that didnt work so well.....another reason to go back to the range!!

Top Bottom