• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CDF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    N. of ATX
    I could use some guidance on CenTex ranges please.
    Both the wife and I are all for range safety and the wife doesn't like going to Red's to shoot her pistol since their safety concerns have pretty much been non existent until recently.
    Here is what I am wanting to know:

What CenTex ranges have RO's that are not too abusive towards new shooters?
    She is very good with the basic "rules" of gun safety since she does shoot pistols occasionally, but she has minimal hands-on rifle training and no organized outdoor range experience. I have taught her how to field strip the AR that she was recently given for cleaning/lube and how to make the rifle safe when the firing line goes cold. But much like learning a new language, the more you apply it, the less likely you are to forget.

What I am trying to avoid is a range nazi environment.
    The good news is that we can get to the range during the week which I know can help with the "attitude" of some RO's. Those who can offer guidance without being abusive because somebody is slow or having problems locking back the bolt on a cease fire is the ideal scenario. I would hate for a bad RO to ruin her desire to shoot and I have seen it happen to friends before. I am in Austin but will drive anywhere in Central Texas to avoid potential abuse to the point of her abandoning the sport. I have explained to her that she may be made an example of, if breaking the rules, and she is OK with that. Having a drill sergeant who is inconvenienced and abusive towards newer shooters is what I am trying to avoid.
    Any suggestions?
    Target Sports

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Shady Oaks is nice. RO's are easy to work with and polite. Will also offer advice on basics if needed.
    The only others i know of are around the Killeen area. If you can shoot during the week, and don't mind being your own RSO, try Shiney Top Ranch in Salado.

Sent by a idjit coffeeholic

CDF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    N. of ATX
    Thank you jrb.
    This is exactly the kind of input I am looking for.

I have no problem driving 1.5 hours from Austin for the wife to enjoy a day of low stress shooting.

preyn2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Burnet
    I shoot at Best of the West (Best of the West Shooting Sports ? Texas Shooting Range).

They have pistol, rifle (out to 1000 yards, I believe), and skeet/trap ranges. For me, however, the best option is their tactical bays. I don't remember the limitations, but I do know that all of my pistols, my AR, .22s, and 12 gauge are fine in their tac bays. The deepest bay is probably 50 yards deep (?), which is fine for what I'm doing.

I've had nothing except great experiences with their folks; always helpful, but never pushy.

Good luck -
    phil

CDF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    N. of ATX
    Thanks Phil.

Please excuse my ignorance since I've never been to BOTW.
    Do the Tac bays have a bench to shoot from?
    I couldn't really tell from their website and the wife will want to get comfortable at the bench initially.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I don't blame you, I won't shoot at Red's either.

Please read all of the links here: https://austinrifleclub.org/austin-rifle-club-membership-information/

ARC is a members only club located east of Austin just off 290 in Manor, Texas.

As a members only club there are requirements to join and rules to follow afterwards. Safety is paramount at the club. I am usually alone, or one of a very few people, on the ranges on weekday mornings. There is no range officer except at matches. Weekends are usually busy with various matches.

After exploring the web site and reading the links posted above, if you are interested in becoming members, as a member I can take you in as guests once so you can see and shoot at the club and try out various ranges.

CDF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    N. of ATX
    AustinN4,
    I used to work with a guy years ago that was a member of the ARC. For some unknown reason, I thought that ARC was no longer in business. Maybe, due to the requirements to become a member, I just made the assumption that they were closed since I haven't heard much about the club in quite a while.
    I (we) very much appreciate your generosity with this offer. I will go take a look at the link provided and make sure we understand everything that we need to know before contacting you about going. We would certainly be interested in taking you up on this offer in the near future. Thank you.

Glockster69,
    I just recently read several threads about it in the Gun Range section. The last thread I read about Hicksville said that they were closed earlier this year- I guess they reopened?
    My curiosity about it will definitely get us out there eventually.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    CDF
    They were closed for a spell this summer but have reopened. We held our 10/4 meet n greet there.
    But just in case, call before making the drive. ;)

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I went to Astros during the week and it was pretty nice. $13 for all day, no extra charge for extra guns. It was pretty laid back. I guess the owner was the range officer that day. Pretty much left me alone at the rifle range. He showed up at the pistol range, but all he did was thank a family for coming, appreciate your business, etc.

Stan's used to be my favorite range, but they have shut down for a while. I think Lone Star bought them out.

I've heard good things about Dietz gun range in New Braunfels, but never been there.

Last edited:

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Another vote for Shady Oaks...in fact, DW and I might drop by tonight for "Girl With a Gun" night. Each Monday is 'Ladies Night' with some discounts, etc; but two Mondays a month, Girl With a Gun runs a program for the ladies. Extra attention paid to less-experienced shooters, cool targets, discounts, etc...pretty fun times from what I've seen. Some darned talented females who invite you to "Shoot like a GIRL" :)

Especially as the weather gets yucky later this week, the HEPA-filtered indoor range makes it easier to focus, I reckon. It's especially nice to have a couple extra hours of shooting at the end of the day with the early sunset.

Girls Night Out | Shady Oaks Gun Range - Serving Austin, TXShady Oaks Gun Range ? Serving Austin, TX

For outdoor ranges, I'll echo the recommendations of BOTW and Lonestar.

preyn2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Burnet
    CDF - I've never shot at the pistol or rifle ranges at BOTW, but the tac bays all generally have a raggedy folding table set up somewhere handy. Not nearly steady enough to call a "shooting bench", but it beats having to set all your stuff on the ground.

CDF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    N. of ATX
    5 year TGT member and your 3rd post? I don't get it.

G69, Don't be too rough on em since a suggestion was offered. I must admit that I do feel a bit more special now. :laughing:

BTW, I checked the search link you offered earlier on Hicksville. I am disappointed that I wasn't paying more attention about the last meet. I will definitely have to get out to the next meet but hope to get to know a few local members, while enjoying some range time, before the next get together. I checked out all of the pictures and videos- it looks like everyone had a great time.

And while I am on a roll, who owns the Pistol Pac?

preyn2, thanks for the confirmation on the Tac bays.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    G69, Don't be too rough on em since a suggestion was offered. I must admit that I do feel a bit more special now. :laughing:
    Nah. Granted I've gone overboard but I don't get 3 posts in 5 years.

BTW, I checked the search link you offered earlier on Hicksville. I am disappointed that I wasn't paying more attention about the last meet. I will definitely have to get out to the next meet but hope to get to know a few local members, while enjoying some range time, before the next get together. I checked out all of the pictures and videos- it looks like everyone had a great time.
    The Hicksville meets are a hoot. BS'n, shootin' others guns, hanging out, and some more BS'n.

It's a seriously good time no matter your angle. Just come and hang out, we are surprising nice.

Top Bottom