1f64f.png

continuing for your mom and family.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    So this is a follow up to the cancer treatment in general. Yesterday, 3/23/22 the port was installed near the clavicle, today was 3/24, was the first chemo. The schedule is every three weeks, for three treatments including today, then an MRI to check progress, then possibly more chemo or surgery.

@leVieux, per the oncologist, some of the ovarian cancer cells must have remained active and "hidden" then spread to the two areas, this may just be a layman explanation. Have you ever read any of the 2017 studies related to iodine deficiencies and its relation to cancer? I'm just curious, since she had been placed on a reduced sodium diet, thus here intake of iodized salt may have lead to this. She had been tested to be too low on sodium. Just curious on your thoughts. It frustrates me that her PCP, does not believe in supplements, and has convinced her to not take any sort of multi-vitamin or anything. I see that as an elderly person eats less, appetite decreases, then being sure that they receive the needed nutrients for continued health is vital. I'm not a doctor, just seems to make commonsense.

Sadly, that does happen occasionally. Ovarian cancer is very difficult to treat. I lost a Cousin to that disease a year ago. I haven't kept-up with that literature since retiring. I seriously doubt that any "supplement" could have any effect on this condition. The "supplement" claims re-emerge every few years, but have never proven correct. Good Luck and may GOD Bless ! leVieux

leVieux

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Cancer update

Today was the second round of chemo, after the second week of the first round, substantial hair loss has been occurring. I have been trying to gently talk her into a wig. She seems to have decided "no" to that and to wear the resulting loss as a badge of honor in her war. Whatever her choice, I will support it.

On a side note, I finally had the opportunity to read her prior blood work, she has many nutritional deficiencies that her primary care doctor seems to not have been addressing. Prior to her cancer treatments, I did not have access to any information, my father did everything, but since I created a portal account I can now see everything that is going on. I have begun to address these issues, sodium deficiencies were very much "low". When her doctor put her on a restricted sodium diet, she took this to extremes and was not cooking with any salt whatsoever, I have been preparing at least one of her meals daily and I make sure she gets some salt.

Iodine, she was complaining of brain fog, loss of energy, and appetite, per some online research, it seems that low iodine can cause this. I have been adding two drops of a potassium iodide supplement to her morning OJ 3 times a week. After 2 weeks she is much more mentally active and has returned to being able to perform some of her normal routines. Prior to this, she could not wash dishes, bathe herself, or make coffee in the coffee maker, she has even begun to read books again, something she always took great joy in. While the Iodine supplement is purely anecdotal, the brain may have simply repaired itself after the surgery. Personally, I really do think it was a serious deficiency in the thyroid.

Low iron, I have been cooking and/or making fresh salads with homegrown spinach, the soil has been amended with azomite to replace any missing trace minerals, and is a very nice dark green.

For other trace minerals (elements), I have been looking at a "natural sea salt" mined here in the USA, Redmond Real salt. This product seems to have a "large" amount of these trace minerals with no anti-caking agents ( which may contain aluminum).

OR I may just need to get a liquid multi-vitamin to add to her juice, I have to be careful, some supplements can interact with chemo treatments. More research on this, plus talking to her oncologist, who was unavailable today.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    It seems to me you're doing an outstanding job helping your Mom; kudos, Sir.
    Hopefully her recovery continues at an accelerated pace.

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    Cancer update

Today was the second round of chemo, after the second week of the first round, substantial hair loss has been occurring. I have been trying to gently talk her into a wig. She seems to have decided "no" to that and to wear the resulting loss as a badge of honor in her war. Whatever her choice, I will support it.

On a side note, I finally had the opportunity to read her prior blood work, she has many nutritional deficiencies that her primary care doctor seems to not have been addressing. Prior to her cancer treatments, I did not have access to any information, my father did everything, but since I created a portal account I can now see everything that is going on. I have begun to address these issues, sodium deficiencies were very much "low". When her doctor put her on a restricted sodium diet, she took this to extremes and was not cooking with any salt whatsoever, I have been preparing at least one of her meals daily and I make sure she gets some salt.

Iodine, she was complaining of brain fog, loss of energy, and appetite, per some online research, it seems that low iodine can cause this. I have been adding two drops of a potassium iodide supplement to her morning OJ 3 times a week. After 2 weeks she is much more mentally active and has returned to being able to perform some of her normal routines. Prior to this, she could not wash dishes, bathe herself, or make coffee in the coffee maker, she has even begun to read books again, something she always took great joy in. While the Iodine supplement is purely anecdotal, the brain may have simply repaired itself after the surgery. Personally, I really do think it was a serious deficiency in the thyroid.

Low iron, I have been cooking and/or making fresh salads with homegrown spinach, the soil has been amended with azomite to replace any missing trace minerals, and is a very nice dark green.

For other trace minerals (elements), I have been looking at a "natural sea salt" mined here in the USA, Redmond Real salt. This product seems to have a "large" amount of these trace minerals with no anti-caking agents ( which may contain aluminum).

OR I may just need to get a liquid multi-vitamin to add to her juice, I have to be careful, some supplements can interact with chemo treatments. More research on this, plus talking to her oncologist, who was unavailable today.

Prayers sent for your mother and hers.

Caregiving is a challenging blessing to confer. Your mother and your family are lucky and blessed to have you.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Mom had breast cancer, late 70s or early 80s as best I can recall, I was still a selfish kid then.

Double radical mastectomies[sp] and she passed in October 2017, the vast majority of that time leading a healthy and active life; no doubt things have since improved.

My best to your wife Glen.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    Thank you. In my 71 years, this is the most difficult and heart-rending thing I have ever faced. I can't know how bad it is for precious wife.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom