Gun Zone Deals

Can someone recommend an inexpensive scope for my 22LR upper?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    I have a Primary Arms Compact 3X on my 5.56 upper with an American Defense mount that I can snap on and snap off fairly easily. So I thought that if I marked the exact spot on the rails, I could switch back and forth between the 2 uppers at the range and as long as I knew the exact number of clicks to adjust for each upper, I could dial the scope in within just a few minutes at the range. Well for one reason or another, it is not working out like that. Last range trip I pulled the scope off my 5.56, put it on my 22LR, where I had it marked, and went back the same number of clicks I had turned it to get it dialed in for the 5.56, from the 22LR the last time. Well to my surprise my shots were way off (still don't know why, but whatever).

So instead of fighting with it (because it took much longer than I anticipated, I was at the range for about 3 hours that day), I think I just wanna get a cheap scope for my 22LR upper. Cheap meaning inexpensive, not crappy. I won't sacrifice quality for price but don't want to spend much on a scope for an upper I use strictly for practice. The 5.56 is for defense, but the 22LR's purpose (as of now) is strictly target practice. I always make sure my scope is on my 5.56 upper and dialed in before leaving the range.
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

jtyler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Peeltown
    I have the BSA sweet .22 on my .22. Great scope for my .22. I hate everything else they sell but that's a good one.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    What's the budget? Cheap to some = $700.00 to others $70.00.

lol...sorry I guess I should have been more specific. Yeah I'm definitely at the lower end of that scale. $70 would be acceptable, but less would be even better. I'll check out some of the ones that have been recommended. Thanks for the help!

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    Thanks for the help. I've never been a hunter, never really been a rifle shooter, but now have a 22LR M4 upper I just wanna take to the range and shoot once in a while. Strictly a "target practice" gun. So I just went ahead and ordered the Simmons 22 mag to see if it will do the trick. I don't need anything overly fancy. Honestly I don't even know what qualities in a scope would make it "good" or "bad". I have only owned one scope in my life and that is my Compact 3X, which I've had no problems with at all. I am guessing if I can get a scope zeroed in, and it holds zero (considering there's no recoil on the 22, I doubt that would be a problem), it will work for range trips.

If there is something I am missing and a reason I should look into other scopes, please let me know, but with what I currently know, the Simmons 22 mag (along with the recommendations from other members), seems like it will do the trick, and is only about $40. If for example the Mueller Optics mentioned above has a significant difference, and someone could explain that to me, maybe I'll consider holding off till I can fork over another $80 or so. Cause although I don't wanna spend much $$$, I don't wanna be looking for another scope in 6 months because I bought a cheap one that wouldn't cut it.

Again I am pretty new to rifles and optics in general, so there may be a lot I am overlooking that would be just common knowledge to most people in this thread, just putting that out there.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    You'll do good with the Simmons for plinking and learning the basics.

The Muller is a great value with clear optics and adjustable objective for better precision target shooting. You may not reach for your spotting scope as much with it as well.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    You'll do good with the Simmons for plinking and learning the basics.

The Muller is a great value with clear optics and adjustable objective for better precision target shooting. You may not reach for your spotting scope as much with it as well.

Ok thanks for the explanation. Yeah at American Shooting Center, just on the 50 yd range I have a difficult time seeing the hits from a 22LR with the spotting scopes they have. Sometimes I can't tell where my hits are (or if I am even on paper) till the cease fire. Last time I went to that range I spent more time "ceasing fire" than I did shooting. I need to find a better place to shoot. Preferably not a shooting range. Too bad everyone I know who owns property in the country, lives in Louisiana.

Top Bottom