• ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Patents expiring, FTW.
    I remember when R11 was phased out. R123 was going to save world. Only, if you breathed it, you better have a wheel barrow for your nuts.
    Now R22 is done, but they didn't change the schraeder valves on a home system. How long until someone puts a set of R22 gauges on a R410a system??

Sent without thinking via tapatalk.

Yeah, now they're going to move to R1234yf for automotive (patents are up on R134 - DuPont, again... DuPont/Honeywell with 1234), but the move got delayed because there's not even a production facility up. All they have is a smaller facility to manufacture on a very small scale. It's apparently 100% compatible with R134 - systems, oils, everything - but it'll be a no-no to mix or switch the 1234 system to 134.

The reason they stated for this change? Global climate warming change (R12 was ozone depletion). Ugh. Complete BS.

One of the things that worries me about 1234 is that it's "minimally flammable". SAE says that they've tested it and can't get it to ignite, but I don't really trust SAE anymore. Oh, and 1234 is apparently going to be horribly expensive.

I hate DuPont.

tango5seven

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    DFW
    How long until someone puts a set of R22 gauges on a R410a system??

They will only do it once!!!!!

Don't ask how I know.

Fortunately, my company buys the gauges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk when i should have been doing something useful

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    M Sage has it right about the conversion. If you want to go with R134a you'll need to flush your system and replace oil with either PAG or ester oil. Sometimes a compressor/system can handle the conversion without issues. Other times you'll find the older hose types will "sweat" out the R134a right through the hose material. There may be an instance in which you need a different expansion block or orifice tube as well. R134a typically produces more heat and operates at higher pressures. I never recommend converting on a system with a mechanical fan clutch. It can't dissapate the heat from the condenser enough to keep you cool at idle or in traffic. Also the R134a specific systems were designed using pressure shut-off switches and not just low presure cycling switches. So, an older system with R134a in it could potentially blow itself up or blow a pop-off valve. On most passenger cars the conversion works well because the electric fans are always runnning with the ac on and when charged correctly(typically 80% of r12 capacity) the do cool well. Lastly, R12 is a larger heavier molecule and R134a will not carry mineral oil through the system like it should so if you just shoot the system full of it(R134a) without flushing and adding the right oil, you are running on borrowed time. On another note, R12 is ozone depleting a reacts with Hydrogen in the upper atmosphere and creats acid rain. R134a produces the equivalent of 1200 times its actual weight in CO2. So it doesn't deplete the ozone, it just contributes to the greenhouse effect on a massive scale. I own a recovery machine for R134a and can taps for R134a and R12. If anhyone ever needs auto ac help, I'm just a PM away. I am not a huge fan of freeze 12, it's pretty much snake oil. It is mostly R134a w/some other refrigerant added. Making it impossible to recover without dedicated machinery, forcing most installers to vent it when servicing that type of system.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    So, I got the cans and hooked everything up. My fan clutch stopped spinning when I opened the low pressure iso valve. So I jumped it strait from the battery. It is now turning, but seems to not be drawing in the freon. The first can i held for about 7 minutes. I thought maybe it was empty, but it felt full. I thought maybe it was faulty, so i took the tapper off and the entire can emptied out. Second can same problem it is not emptying into the compressor at all. I have no idea why, and cannot figure out why it isn't going into the compresso. I tried that for about 10 minutes, and the can is still full. The sob will not empty into the compressor for the life of me. It looks like I may be out 60 bucks, and still have no ac. Does anyone know how to get it to empty?

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    your A/c Need to be running in order for the refrigerant to get sucked in. Did you back the tap off a bit after you punctured the can so it can flow.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Ok, you said fan clutch is why I asked. Is your blower motor inside running and all that? If you attempt to load the system without discharging some heat it will freeze.
    If the compressor is engaged and it sounds like its pumping then the compressor may be shot.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Ok. Well my last can slowly emptied out while i was researching online, trying to find a solution as to why it isn't accepting any. I cannot afford to buy more. I am just gonna say piss on it, and not have ac. Thanks for all of the input and advice guys.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Were you on the suction line?

Yeah the low pressure service port. The connector will not hook up anywhere else. TexMex pretty much told me what the problem was after I pmmed him. When I opened it up to drain the old oil, it let air in. It will not suck with air in it.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Nah. It's a dull personality. Lol

LOL, thanks I needed a laugh, after all the cussing. I shoulda took the damn thing to a pro to begin with. Once I have more cash that is the plan. Good thing is, I was offered a job today, and begin monday. So, I will have some money flowing finally, and will get it done by someone who knows what theyre doing. It just seemed so simple lol.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Too bad you're not closer. I have a can of 12 and a vacuum pump.

Top Bottom