DK Firearms

Can a Felon live in same house as a Firearm ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I dunno. If a felon is no longer in incarcerated, is there any provision in any law that allows some form of LEO to enter and search their residence without warning or warrant?

Are you thinking about parole? At the state level, that’s addressed in TPC 46.04. But either way, the definition in 18 USC 921 specifically allows for state mechanisms to moot the prohibition for a state conviction. Federal conviction requires a presidential pardon to restore forearm rights though due to supremacy.

Personally, I see the 922 (g) prohibition primarily as a tool to tack on a charge at the federal level. When Mueller was AAG, he published the guidance below, which is what I call a “see what sticks” doctrine on felons and firearms.

Tex62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    What the heck? Did he know it had a lean on it? How’s this a felony?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    From an earlier post........

TPC 46.04 UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF A FIREARM (A) A person who has been convicted of a felony commits an offense if he possesses a firearm.
    (1) after conviction AND BEFORE the fifth anniversary of the person's release from confinement, parole, or mandatory supervision, whichever date is later, or
    (2) after the period described by Subdivision (1), at any location OTHER than the premises at which the person lives.

Keep in mind that this is State not Federal.

This does not include all felonies, but some of them.

The way I read it, is that a felon can have a firearm ONLY where he lives. He CANNOT own it but can have one, (borrowed, loaned). But the felon HAS to complete Subdivision (1) first.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm not sufficiently versed in Texas law (or, specifically, how to look this up) but I once read that a felon can be convicted of being illegally in possession of a firearm even if it's a black powder firearm that's not a firearm under federal law.

I remember thinking at the time "That sucks. If I'm convicted of a felony, I'll never be able to carry a concealed black powder derringer or go target shooting with a black powder single shot."

I found that prospect disheartening.

I hope I'm wrong about all that.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I'm not sufficiently versed in Texas law (or, specifically, how to look this up) but I once read that a felon can be convicted of being illegally in possession of a firearm even if it's a black powder firearm that's not a firearm under federal law.

I remember thinking at the time "That sucks. If I'm convicted of a felony, I'll never be able to carry a concealed black powder derringer or go target shooting with a black powder single shot."

I found that prospect disheartening.

I hope I'm wrong about all that.

You are wrong about that. There are processes at the state level to restore firearm rights. Some of those rights are automatic at the 5-year mark.

If it’s a federal felony, you’ll need a Presidential pardon, but that removes the prohibition.

Steve In Texas

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2023
    Austin, Texas
    Possession is complicated. Willingly In the hands, clearly possessed. Claims of having no key to the lock box that one's partner uses adds complexity. This is an area where there are probably as many opinions as there are practitioners. And for fun we can ask at what point the legal system will act. "In the presence of" and possession should be different.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Oh guys, I forgot to warn everyone. According to local and federal gun shop lore.... Any time you post an answer to a question on TGT you have to put the abbreviation IANAL at the beginning or end of your post. That means "I am not a lawyer". The reason is because there is a secret law that says you can be charged with a felony for practicing law without a license when you post on TGT. The government is monitoring your every keystroke and the New York Bar Association SWAT team will kick your door down and drag you to Manhattan NYC criminal court. You don't want Twinkie Alvin Bragg to sit on you. Oh, and if you ARE a lawyer, you have to post your Texas Bar card number and a copy of the retainer signed by the person whose question you are answering engaging you as his attorney. This is required by the canons of ethics that you agreed to when you became a member of the Bar.

IANAL (so suck it Bragg!)
    I Am going with IADALIMM.
    Definitely a lawyer in my mind.
    But, yes, suck it, Bragg.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I dunno. If a felon is no longer in incarcerated, is there any provision in any law that allows some form of LEO to enter and search their residence without warning or warrant?
    Not that I have ever heard.

I believe once the sentence has been served, and the person is deemed safe enough to return to society that they should be safe enough to have ALL rights restored. Now, I think a goodly number of crimes should get you a one way trip to Huntsville, but no one asked me...

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Are you thinking about parole? At the state level, that’s addressed in TPC 46.04. But either way, the definition in 18 USC 921 specifically allows for state mechanisms to moot the prohibition for a state conviction. Federal conviction requires a presidential pardon to restore forearm rights

Personally I keep my forearms close by pardon or not

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    We haven’t even touched on Lautenberg amendment or alien status, either. Not to mention edge cases of conviction in another state and then relocates to Texas six years after completing the sentence.
    <>

IIRC, a decade or more back there was a FFL is S E Texas, who was convicted of a felony in Mexico for something which was perfectly legal in Texas, not even a crime at all.

But he lost his FFL. When he petitioned to have his rights reinstated, he lost and was not able to even own any gun.

I never heard any more, so don’t know the end result, if different.

<>

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    <>

IIRC, a decade or more back there was a FFL is S E Texas, who was convicted of a felony in Mexico for something which was perfectly legal in Texas, not even a crime at all.

But he lost his FFL. When he petitioned to have his rights reinstated, he lost and was not able to even own any gun.

I never heard any more, so don’t know the end result, if different.

<>
    Thomas Bean. He won. Either way it became moot 3 years later in Small vs US

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    From an earlier post........

TPC 46.04 UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF A FIREARM (A) A person who has been convicted of a felony commits an offense if he possesses a firearm.
    (1) after conviction AND BEFORE the fifth anniversary of the person's release from confinement, parole, or mandatory supervision, whichever date is later, or
    (2) after the period described by Subdivision (1), at any location OTHER than the premises at which the person lives.

Keep in mind that this is State not Federal.

This does not include all felonies, but some of them.

The way I read it, is that a felon can have a firearm ONLY where he lives. He CANNOT own it but can have one, (borrowed, loaned). But the felon HAS to complete Subdivision (1) first.
    I always viewed this one as Texas respecting people’s right to defend themselves. Just my take on it…

It’s an interesting law and I wouldn’t suggest anyone put it to test and push the limits.

@ScottDLS you asked how they would know?

It’s why politicians want a cashless society. Why certain banks allow cc information collected to be given to others without a subpoena. Or all it takes is for a cop to call and the bank bends over backwards.

Social media and the web is another way.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom