DK Firearms

Buying & registering motorcycle with expired registration??? Pls advise ...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kakpataka

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    DFW Lewisville-Coppell
    Guys, I picked out a bike that is garaged and the registration expired in july 2010.
    If I buy it, am i going to be responsible for the lapse from July till the date I register?
    I am new to TX so i am not sure .
    The current owner is in Ft Worth area, Burleson, I think.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    I'd get tags before driving it. You are liable if you drive it on expired tags, and if they're past 30 or 90 days out (I don't remember) you cannot get the ticket dismissed by getting the tags. I found this out the hard way, I picked up my current car on a Friday afternoon and got a $180 ticket less than 48 hours later! @$$hole cop cited me despite a dated title transfer form in the car with me telling me "You can print a temporary tag off of the DPS web site." For the record, only dealers can print a temporary tag, but every tag office worker and cop in Wilco will tell you otherwise until you demand proof, even the judge thought you could!

Eli

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    You were driving the car with expired tags.....and HE is the asshole? Interesting....
    I posted this before, but:
    2 years ago when a Round Rock cop stopped me for expired stickers. The stop was justified, I'd just picked up the car Friday afternoon (after the tax offices had closed) and it was Sunday. What I had a problem with was the prick telling me to get out of the car, searching the car, reaming me for the the reverse camera that was on the car (from Wal*Mart), threatening to have my car towed, calling for back-up, and just generally having a bad attitude. Back-up officer was a similarly aged Hispanic female that seemed curious as to what the hell the primary's problem was.
    Yes, I stopped promptly, yes I was respectful, no I had no attitude issues. This prick had a hard on for me for no reason, and should have used his discretion and not written me for anything since I had obvious evidence I had just purchased the car. Except, as I mention, he was insistent that "You can print one for free off the Internet!"

Eli

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Sorry. Expired tags = violation.

One other thing, OP. Print off a "Limited Power of Attorney", have the original owner sign it and get it notarized. You are now the original owner in the eyes of the law w/regards to anything else that may be needed to complete the transfer of the car. Keeps things neat and clean, and avoids having to find him again if something else is needed. Do it w/every sale I do - can't tell ya how many times it's saved me or someone I've sold a vehicle to!

Top Bottom