• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    I'm not a hater just stuck with another brand. I want to get a pistol for my kids to start pistol shooting. So I'm looking at a Glock 44. Anything I should know before buying one Monday? This is also my first .22 weapon. What ammo should I stick with since i've read cheap ammo doesn't work well.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I have a G44 and it's been a great shooter. I've ran mostly bulk pack Federal AutoMatch and CCI Mini Mags with zero problems. It's the same size as a G19 so it's a great trainer if you plan on moving up in caliber.

I've heard some people having problems with the slide cracking but I haven't had that happen.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    I'm not a hater just stuck with another brand. I want to get a pistol for my kids to start pistol shooting. So I'm looking at a Glock 44. Anything I should know before buying one Monday? This is also my first .22 weapon. What ammo should I stick with since i've read cheap ammo doesn't work well.
    Are they new to shooting? A single action Ruger Wrangler or Single-Six might be a better choice before handing them a semi-auto. If that's not a concern, I would highly recommend a Ruger Mark IV, SR22, or Browning Buckmark before a Glock 44. The G44's had issues but they might have been addressed by now but knowing Glock, maybe not. S&W makes an M&P22. I'd stay away from Walther P22's and SIG Mosquitos as they tend to be jam-o-matics.

22lr's can be picky on ammo. You'll just have to see what it likes to eat. CCI MiniMags are the gold standard. Standard to high velocity 22lr tends to work best on average.

Some 22lr's can be picky how the ammo is loaded into the magazine. Make sure you read the directions for any model specific tips.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Before you buy the Glock take a look at the Taurus TX-22.
    Yes. I did say Taurus.
    The Taurus is less expensive and uses 15rd mags.

As far as ammo goes CCI mini-mags are the gold standard. The 40grn solids are my go to when shooting a semi. Avoid the cheap bulk pack stuff in semi’s.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    The G44 is a good way to start out a new shooter. Mine has had several thousand rounds through it and it is not picky about ammo. It likes Federal bulk ammo as well as the CCI.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Before you buy the Glock take a look at the Taurus TX-22.
    Yes. I did say Taurus.
    The Taurus is less expensive and uses 15rd mags.

As far as ammo goes CCI mini-mags are the gold standard. The 40grn solids are my go to when shooting a semi. Avoid the cheap bulk pack stuff in semi’s.
    I approve of this message. . . . . . . .

Txhighlander

In the end is where we begin.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Cass county Texas
    I can't say yeah or nay to the Glock 44, never handled one much less shot one. Ruger makes some nice reliable 22s as so does Browning. The wife has a standard barrel mk 3 that I have started a few young folks on. I love my mk 4 22/45 but from the factory the trigger was horrible. Have fun passing shooting knowledge on regardless of you decide.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I just ran an entire brick of Federal Automatch through a new to me, but used Taurus TX 22 yesterday. Not one single malfunction. The sights suck though. It shoots a foot high at 25 yards with with rear sight adjusted all the way down.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I tried the Kel-Tec P17. Not a fan.
    The rear sight wouldn’t hold zero. It flopped about during recoil and would shift.
    Redneck engineering solved the issue by jamming some O-ring bits under the leaf holding it in place.
    Barrel would lead up pretty fast. Required bore brushing after 200rds.
    If kept clean so it’ll run it is an excellent choice for weaker arm shooters.

red442joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Michigan
    Hand size, and pistol weight.
    This is how I ended up with over two dozen 22's.
    As for the G44..I don't have a G19, but I do have a G17, and a G26.
    I put Advantage Arms kits on dedicated G17, and G26 frames. They both shoot extremely well.

Joe

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    +1 on the CCI MiniMags. I don't have a G44 and don't have a whole bunch of .22s, but all the .22 pistols and rifles I have are semi-auto. I got to the point that I stock up on MiniMags when available because they shoot well and cycle in everything I have.

BladeZealot

Gotta love a 1911!
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 14, 2022
    Retired. I reckon a wanderer
    I think highly of the glock 44...after testing extensively I gave each of my 4 Sons one a few Christmases ago.

I also enjoy the Keltec P17 as far as inexpensive 22LR pistols.

For reasonably priced.. it's hard to beat the P17. Mine have run everything I have fed them. It's also a good suppressor host.

However for a first .22LR I second a single action revolver. A youngster will find it hard to do a "mag dump" with one of those:)...and there's just something about a nice single action revolver :shades:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My old Ruger MKII with integral suppressor is a great trainer. Not having to wear hearing protection is nice in that the trainee can hear range command & instructions better. Limited report & muzzle flash also makes for a great training gun.

Attachments

• IMG_3856.JPG
      IMG_3856.JPG
      443.1 KB · Views: 42
    Top Bottom