• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I've got freeze dried food and a water purifier, a propane stove and sufficient fuel. What's the best way to store coffee for the long term?
    On a daily basis, we use Folger's Columbian, but for SHTF, I'm thinking instant coffee would be a better route. Takes up less storage space, and possibly has a longer shelf life. Seems like the simplest way to go.

Need some good suggestions for long term coffee storage. Brands, style, etc. I have a vacuum sealer, but not sure that would increase shelf life of unopened coffee containers. Roasting or grinding whole beans is not something I want to mess with either.
    Gun Zone Deals

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Tag! For camping, I vacuum seal fresh ground and it has tastes fresh ground everyday for up to a two week trip. Could be longer but haven't done anything longer than a two week back country on the Ap. Trail years ago.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Tag! For camping, I vacuum seal fresh ground and it has tastes fresh ground everyday for up to a two week trip. Could be longer but haven't done anything longer than a two week back country on the Ap. Trail years ago.

Not a big coffee drinker, but definitely this.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    They make freeze dried Coffee . I think Nescafe is freeze dried you can buy packs of it, I imagine that stuff would last a long time .
    Also Folgers makes those coffee bags that are each individually sealed. You would not need a coffee maker then.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Blasphemy!!!!!!
    Coffee is number one store bought item I couldn't do without.

Unless you want a lot of dead people because I am not nice without it. I'm a jerk now, but a really nean one without it. Would be the first shelf I cleared.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I like my coffee like I do my women
    Ground up and in the freezer:laughing:

seriously, for me it would be SHTF if I couldn't have coffee.

good topic. let me look through my books and see if Rawles covers that issue. I called The Ready Store , where I get lots of my Mountain House and Saratoga Farms foods and they don't offer coffee and only suggested buying freeze dried from the store.

I have bought bulk Sams coffee and ground it and vacuum sealed it for up to a year, but that was stored the freezer.
    Storing ground coffee or whole bean, even in mylar wouldn't taste too good especially in a non climate controlled store room after 6 months or so would be my guess. I think I will buy up a good supply of the freeze dried stuff , leave it in factory containers, and box it up.
    Still yet, just remember unless you grown it yourself, it is a finite resource and just like gas for your generator, it will eventually run out in a long term scenario

Last edited:

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Buy bulk green beans and seal them in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers. Coffee loses flavor quickly after it's roasted. It's not that hard to roast your own, all you really need is a cast iron skillet and fire. The big problem would be the smell of fresh roasting coffee bringing in the masses. :-)

I suspect a large stash of green beans would make for great trading as time went on. I have some special green beans that have been stored in a burlap bag in the back of the pantry for over 6 years. They have lost some of their flavor, but are still very good fresh from the roaster.

Coati

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2015
    Other Areas
    Vacuum sealed coffee can last for quite some time. I had some Gevalia coffee that sat i the back of a closer for 15 years. I started to throw it out when I found it, but since the vacuum was intact I tried brewing some and it was fine.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Vacuum sealed coffee can last for quite some time. I had some Gevalia coffee that sat i the back of a closer for 15 years. I started to throw it out when I found it, but since the vacuum was intact I tried brewing some and it was fine.
    I'll assume your closet is in your air conditioned
    House

That makes a lot of difference

NeckBeard

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Coffee is an item I keep a lot of on hand... I have the good stuff and many of those large air tight sealed folgers and heb containers of coffee as back ups. We had a "crisis" a few weeks ago and had to open one of my emergency stock. 2 years old and tasted great.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I think I'm going with Folger's crystals. Seems like it is freeze dried. Should store well, especially if vacuumed sealed in the original container. Yep, gotta have coffee.

Top Bottom