• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ColonelTravis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2020
    DFW Texas
    I go to a restaurant in Plano regularly to get take out, last night was the first time I'd ever eaten inside. There is no sign on the door or window, but inside, near the ceiling is a generic No Firearms sign. I won't get into the positioning, but it's not easy to spot initially. Actually, almost impossible when you first walk in. That's not what bothered me. Under that sign is a red 51% sign. That stunned me. This place doesn't have alcohol on their menu that I know of, but I looked them up on the TABC site to make sure. They have no liquor license. I looked up a local bar just to make sure the TABC site was working, and it was, because the bar license showed up.

Texas law requires a 51% sign if you are a 51% business, right? And it's a felony to carry inside these places. So, how does this place get away with putting up a 51% sign? This is infuriating to me.
    Venture Surplus ad

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    My solution would be for my firearm and myself to avoid this business as obviously they don't want customers.

Welcome to TGT. Please identify the business, as might miss his improper sign.

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I go to a restaurant in Plano regularly to get take out, last night was the first time I'd ever eaten inside. There is no sign on the door or window, but inside, near the ceiling is a generic No Firearms sign. I won't get into the positioning, but it's not easy to spot initially. Actually, almost impossible when you first walk in. That's not what bothered me. Under that sign is a red 51% sign. That stunned me. This place doesn't have alcohol on their menu that I know of, but I looked them up on the TABC site to make sure. They have no liquor license. I looked up a local bar just to make sure the TABC site was working, and it was, because the bar license showed up.

Texas law requires a 51% sign if you are a 51% business, right? And it's a felony to carry inside these places. So, how does this place get away with putting up a 51% sign? This is infuriating to me.

Welcome to the Forum!

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Naw, just open carry and let them call the cops and find out their sign is incorrect. Well, now wouldn't do that in Plano, cops aren't well informed.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Contact TABC. They'll send an officer out to make sure the signage is correct, and if necessary remove any improperly posted 51% signs.
    And in the process may tell them the proper signs and how they are to be displayed.

I’ve told my kids that as well. We don’t tell a business they have unenforceable signs, that just makes them put up the correct ones instead.

Steve In Texas

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2023
    Austin, Texas
    So, how does this place get away with putting up a 51% sign? This is infuriating to me.
    They may just be presenting differently then they believe and assume those in the know consider obviously unenforceable signage subtle invitation. There are many great threads on TGT discussing the complexities within Texas statutes.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Welcome to TGT!
    This is more common than many realize. You have multiple options, whether you want to boycott the place or maybe talk to the manager and educate them that they may not post the sign contradicting the TABC assigned status. You can also quietly carry in there. But be careful if someone calls the law on you because the officer might not know the law well and you could get wrongfully arrested and then deal with that. Your life, your choice. Be safe.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    1. Who gives a F? Why let it even register on the GIF scale.
    2, You really GIF, or are under 25 years old? Leave your weapon in the truck, go in, order a mixed drink when they say we don't serve alcohol, grab the sigh and tell them to stick it up thier..; Remember to tell the police your alias is Tater Salad.

Enigma57

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2020
    Dallas/ Fort Worth Area
    Early on when the Texas Concealed Handgun law was passed. It allowed places post the 51% sign in place of the 30.06 sign requirements. It was a temporary solution to prohibit CHL holders from entering until the locations had enough time to get all of their entrances fully signed. It’s kind of funny now looking back, but some Hospitals and Nursing Homes had the 51% signs posted.

ColonelTravis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2020
    DFW Texas
    Early on when the Texas Concealed Handgun law was passed. It allowed places post the 51% sign in place of the 30.06 sign requirements for a temporary solution to prohibit CHL holders from entering until the locations had enough time to get their all of their entrances fully signed. It kind of funny now looking back, but some Hospitals and Nursing Homes had the 51% signs posted.
    OK, thanks for this. My question isn't - should I carry. My question is - how can they legally do this, almost 30 years later? I didn't remember this from when the law changed.

What bothers me is that they are being deceptive, because a 51% sign is a felony. Does the state still allow businesses to do this?

Top Bottom