• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I've seen that chart before, and realistically, most of that stuff is just for shooting range dick measuring. Its all nice to have, but you really don't need all those amazing features unless you are air assaulting into the mountains of Afghanistan. Figure out what you NEED, then buy the cheapest (price wise) gun with those features. Use the money you save to buy ammo and practice practice practice.

So THAT is why my rifle came with this ruler. . . .

You can get a lower half for reasonable from places for at or below $300 bucks. Then you can buy a lower off of Midway or other for around $450+

I know there are people who could do a lot better, but I'm just a lowly medical student.
    Guns International

Bily Lovec

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    it has nothing to do with the length of your member. it has to do with quality and consistancy of manufacture. the chart is not evil or wrong, you just have to have made a C+ in reading comprehension to understand it.
    Colt is the "standard" do not buy anything less than a colt. good choices are BCM, LMT, Noveske, knight, CD & DD.

bushy, dpms and RRA are substandard.

Mate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Houston
    it has nothing to do with the length of your member. it has to do with quality and consistancy of manufacture. the chart is not evil or wrong, you just have to have made a C+ in reading comprehension to understand it.
    Colt is the "standard" do not buy anything less than a colt. good choices are BCM, LMT, Noveske, knight, CD & DD.

PM sent...

TexasRoadDawg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Stuck in n.y.

I'm going to call BS on that. I've had my bushmaster for years and it has never once malfunctioned. That's including when I was younger and dumber, didn't clean it often, or well when I did, used mags with black followers, and bought the cheapest eastern block ammo I could get. It has never malfunctioned, not once. You can't realistically tell me that my Bushmaster is any less reliable than a Colt that cost near twice as much. You can't get any better than 100% reliable. On the other hand, I personally know an active state LEO who paid a bunch of money for a colt, only to have the barrel taken off and replaced with a BM pencil barrel. The colt barrel didn't give the accuracy the Bushmaster would. He spent a lot of money for "the standard" only to have the barrel replaced by a "substandard" barrel that performed better.

There were guns that worked really well a long time before HPT and MPI were invented. The AK is probably the most combat proven firearm in history. Is it HPT and MPI? my point is, those things aren't necessary to have a capable weapon. A Noveske IS probably a more accurate and more finely machine weapon. But for the price I could by 3 bushmasters that work just as well for my purposes.

Bily Lovec

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'll use simplier words if it helps...

... it has to do with quality and consistancy of manufacture. the chart is not evil or wrong, you just have to have made a C+ in reading comprehension to understand it.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Don't bother, if some one feels that they can only get a good system at one price point, then don't even try and dissuade them.

They like their [insert $$$ brand], and there is nothing wrong with that. It just doesn't mean that there is nothing "lesser" is going to work, but it really isn't worth trying to convince them otherwise. They are happy. . . . . great. It doesn't you (or maybe even them if they weren't brand biased) wouldn't be happy with something else.

I'm not knowledgable about AR15's, but it is hard to think that a thousand dollar rifle is going to be worthless.

TexasRoadDawg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Stuck in n.y.
    I couldn't have said it better, Texas42. I just dont think its fair to tell someone they MUST by a $2000 rifle for their first AR when a $900 bushmaster or RRA would do them just fine. Besides, your first one is kind of an experiment. You may figure out you want something completely different after using using if for a while. That way, when it does come time to buy that $2500 rifle, you have a much better understanding of what you want. Thats my opinion.

Mate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Houston
    How many times....

Colts can be had for a few hundred more than a RRA or a bushy. There's not a person in this world that can afford a RRA, but not a Colt.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Well, good thing I bought my DPMS before I read this thread. Had that happened, I might not have bought it and enjoyed shooting the heck out of it without any problems. Now, I gotta figure out if this substandard (and sub-moa shooter) thing needs to be sold off so I can get a real AR so can garner the respect of Colt or better gun owners. lol

sean_bart1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Greenville TX
    I have a Colt m4 style and a RRA entry tac m4 style. I honestly cant tell that one is better than the other. If anything Id have to say the RRA feels a bit better to me. Ive put my RRA through hell and never had it not function properly.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    If you don't have chrome you might as well go home!!!

I have spent lots of time picking out parts and ordering them from about three different places... then to make things easier on the top end I ordered a complete kit from an M word company and will use what I want from that kit and have leftover parts for a budget build...

I intend to build a really nice upper for my overpriced lower eventually too...

I already started on the second one without having the first one completed...

tommyh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Houston
    You can enjoy shooting your lower charted AR all day long. the rounds you put down range are against paper only, and thats fine. The pins will interchange between them, the trigger groups will swap from lower to lower, sure (just dont get a large pin lower ;) ).

Where the quality and consistency comes in is the fit and finish of the trigger to the hammer, to the sear. the chemical compound of the metal used in making the barrel, checking to make sure that YOUR barrel has been MPI shotpeened, test fired, and proven to be reliable, and not just a barrel or two in a batch. Your rifle will consistently have an even coating of parkerizing finish not only on the exposed areas, but under the FSB as well, where it isn't a water tight fit. Features like Chrome lined chamber and bore for longevity of barrel life to sustain trigger time in zombie killing without wearing the barrel out AND the ability to set the range on fire with tracer ammo, to which the WP coating on the base of the bullet will tear your chrome moly bore and chamber down quickly. sure you may get a DPMS/RRA/Stag/Bushie, but is it properly staked, tightened (yes i had to tighten ALL of the bolts down on my BRAND NEW DPMS when i first got it because they werent done from the factory, nor were they staked).

It's a matter of being able to depend on your rifle with your life should you have to. you wouldnt expect less from your Savage, R700, or M70, why do it with your AR?

Bily Lovec

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    just for kicks.....

I believe some of you guys posting on this thread truely want to learn about AR's and are willing to learn.
    Some of you are too hard headed to admit you made a mistake and continue to dig deeper in your pile of ignorance, not realizing the incorrect information they are parroting, is doing more hard than good. ;-)

for those willing to learn, let me post a link to a different website, go read this thread.
    [url]http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376[/URL]

great post, tommyH... :D

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    just for kicks.....

I believe some of you guys posting on this thread truely want to learn about AR's and are willing to learn.
    Some of you are too hard headed to admit you made a mistake and continue to dig deeper in your pile of ignorance, not realizing the incorrect information they are parroting, is doing more hard than good. ;-)

for those willing to learn, let me post a link to a different website, go read this thread.
    [url]http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376[/URL]

great post, tommyH... :D

Now that was a more informative post, since it gets into the intended use of the rifle. I won't worry till the zombies become restless.

sean_bart1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Greenville TX
    Bily, If RRA is such a bad rifle and I cant depend on it to save my life, what is it that you carry? Unless you've been walking down the streets of Iraq with your rifle, what do you do with yours that you wouldn't do with my substandard RRA? I have carried mine trough the worst places Texas has to offer and many a place in snow covered Montana. Ive been nose to nose with 400 pound boars with only a crappy RRA to save me. I just don't buy hype man. Im sure there are some top notch AR's but there is nothing wrong with the rest. Hell man, my dad carries an Olympic Arms AR. And its never failed either... To the starter of the thread... Buy what you like, take care of it, and have fun!

tommyh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Houston
    Bily, If RRA is such a bad rifle and I cant depend on it to save my life, what is it that you carry? Unless you've been walking down the streets of Iraq with your rifle, what do you do with yours that you wouldn't do with my substandard RRA? I have carried mine trough the worst places Texas has to offer and many a place in snow covered Montana. Ive been nose to nose with 400 pound boars with only a crappy RRA to save me. I just don't buy hype man. Im sure there are some top notch AR's but there is nothing wrong with the rest. Hell man, my dad carries an Olympic Arms AR. And its never failed either... To the starter of the thread... Buy what you like, take care of it, and have fun!

Colt overseas, and LMT at home :)

frijolero817

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I am just curious what you guys think about the FN SCAR and the Remington ACR since we're talking combat rifles. I know this is off topic but whatever, it's not like this thread hasn't gone over various tangents anyhow.;)

Nestromo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Watauga, TX
    I have a Charles Daly and I love it. Compared to my friends' rifles from Bushy, Stag, RRA, DPMS the Daly is just a nicer weapon. I love 'em all don't get me wrong but in the entry level price range the Daly is hard to beat. The gas key and castle nut are staked beautifully. Fit and finish is great, detents are positive and clean. They are available in 1/7 or 1/9. The Colts are nice and they are starting to come down in price it seems. They are oddballs though and not all parts fit them.

Cheers,
    Jon

[URL]http://www.charlesdalydefense.com/cdd15.asp[/URL]

Ignore the prices, they are always lower than that.

TexasRoadDawg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Stuck in n.y.
    How many times....

Colts can be had for a few hundred more than a RRA or a bushy. There's not a person in this world that can afford a RRA, but not a Colt.

I'm just a poor college student, so a few hundred dollars is a lot of money for me. But thats just me. A few hundred dollars is also the difference between a good optic, weapon light, or several hundred rounds of ammo. Down the road, maybe I'll be able to buy that gun that will make my dick six inches longer. Until then, I'm loving my Bushmaster.

FTR, I have heard some people complain about their DPMS rifles. Who makes the Charles Daly ARs?

Top Bottom