• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I've been shooting light .38 spl loads out of my Rossi m92s for a long time.
    I've decided I want to open the throttle now. Nothing at max load, mid range magnum will suffice.
    Considering that handgun bullets are designed with 1000 fps in mind, I'm looking for a jacketed soft point around 150-160 grain. These should launch around 1600-1700 fps. I havent caught any in stock on line nor in person in a few years.
    H110 powder, Winchester small pistol magnum primers. Mixed brass, mostly speer.
    Texas SOT

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I recently found some Hornady FTX bullets at Academy. These would work awesome in your lever gun. They are 140 grain, so you could get some good velocity out of them.

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Bullets :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: .357 38 CAL :: 38 Cal .357 140 gr FTX® (357 Mag)

I've liked what I've read on them.
    Good bc for a "handgun bullet" too.
    Hope to find some soon. Primers seem to be the extent of reloading supplies at our academy.
    Ive got some 158 xtp to test.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I gots a couple of boxes of 158 grain .357's. Of course, I want the brass back.:green: Will bring to Hicksville.

HandgunHTR

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    I've liked what I've read on them.
    Good bc for a "handgun bullet" too.
    Hope to find some soon. Primers seem to be the extent of reloading supplies at our academy.
    Ive got some 158 xtp to test.

Let me know if you cannot find them. I picked up a couple of boxes in expectation of getting a bolt gun in .357, but I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet, so I could let a box go. I would be willing to ship them to you for what I paid for them (I will pick up shipping).

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Let me know if you cannot find them. I picked up a couple of boxes in expectation of getting a bolt gun in .357, but I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet, so I could let a box go. I would be willing to ship them to you for what I paid for them (I will pick up shipping).

I appreciate that.
    I'll pm if I don't find anything soon.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Brass is sized and primed.
    Waiting on bullets to hit the porch. (That sounds bad out of context)

So, for tests of expansion and weight retention im thinking of aligning a 16oz bottle of water to initiate hydraulic expansion, a pine 1" board to mimic a bone strike, then a 1/2 gallon jug of water. I'm thinking a "catch box" of dirt behind that should allow recovery.

I welcome thoughts on this approach. I don't have the budget for gelatin.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Brass is sized and primed.
    Waiting on bullets to hit the porch. (That sounds bad out of context)

So, for tests of expansion and weight retention im thinking of aligning a 16oz bottle of water to initiate hydraulic expansion, a pine 1" board to mimic a bone strike, then a 1/2 gallon jug of water. I'm thinking a "catch box" of dirt behind that should allow recovery.

I welcome thoughts on this approach. I don't have the budget for gelatin.

Be patient ............... and wait for the thugs carrying 1" pine boards and jugs of water! :green:

Winger Ed.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    A bit NE of DFW
    handgun bullets are designed with 1000 fps in mind,.

A good source for what different bullets can do and how fast ya can push them, look into cast bullet forums.
    Pure Lead swagged bullets need to be kept pretty slow, but cast ones can get on up there.
    Commercial cast stuff usually is pretty hard and you can push them into the mid teens without much leading issues.
    If ya get into casting and using a hard alloy with a gas check, you can get them up to about 2200 or so.
    That's about the max. speeds for a factory load jacketed bullet in .357 from a rifle.

I load a 158 with a gas check to feed a Marlin CB. It works great, and is a full house .357Mag that cost about as much to
    reload as buying .22LR Stingers.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom