• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Anyone out there cast their own lead bullets. Im thinking about starting to do so and was wondering how financially viable it really is. Also I am wondering how one would be able to tell what kind of lead alloy I have. Is there a hardness test of sorts to see what's up. I got my hands on some lead jacketed telco cable which according to specs is either 100%lead or 98-2 Lead-Tin.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Lynx Defense

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    I have been casting bullets for 25 years. Saeco and Lee both make lead hardness testers. The Saeco is the best but MUCH more expensive. Buy "The Cast Bullet Handbook" from Lyman. It has a wealth of info. You need to understand the relationship between Lead, Tin and Antimony and how they effect bullet hardness. 98-2 is not much harder than virgin lead. It is not a good bullet alloy except for very low velocity bullets like cowboy action loads at 750 fps. 98-2 can be alloyed with wheel weights (higher in Antimony) to make an acceptable general purpose handgun bullet. Wheel weights are 95% lead, 4% Antimony, 1/2 - 1% Tin and up to about 1/4% Arsenic. For GP bullets up to about 1000fps, I would use about 50/50 wheel weights /your cable jackets. If you plan on going any higher in velocity than that, you will need some linotype (84/12/4 Lead/Antimony/Tin).

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I currently shoot Laser Cast SWC bullets in my 1911s. I thought about casting my own bullets, but I am concerned about lead fumes exposure. What precautions do you take? I have about 300 bullets that have lost their wax ring. I have about 5,000 other Laser Cast bullets in the garage and I am sure some of them have the same problem. I assume these bullets can be melted down and recast. Is his practical? I don't mean to steal your thread, but Robocop seems knowlegable on this subject.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    No need to melt down and recast the bullets that have lost thier lube, simply apply some liquid alox bullet lube (Lee's is the most available), let it dry, load and shoot.
    As for the cable jacket, adding block tin should get your hardness up enough to allow 1500 FPS or so.You don't really save money casting bullets, any more than you save money handloading. YOu DO shoot more for the same amount. I've been casting for 25 plus years, cast 95% of my rifle bullets, and maybe 60% of my handgun bullets. Sometimes I get lazy and buy precast bullets for my handguns.

Leadpot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Ballinger,Tx.
    Taz, There is a wealth of info on the forum CAST BOOLITS. That is where I was directed to go at one time here. Thats all that forum is about. Just thought I'd share that info .They can help you just as well as they can here. Good Luck.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Liquid Alox is a viable alternative to the lost lube. I have found the Mediterranean Geckos in my shop will eat the bullet lube out of the grooves when they are left open and unsealed. I accept this transgression because they also keep the shop relatively free of bugs.
    Buy "The Cast Bullet Handbook" from Lyman. Read up on the topic to see if it is something you want to try.

You can PM me if you have any questions.

As far as lead exposure - If you excersice proper, reasonable precautions your exposure will be very minimal. I have been shooting for about 35 years, reloading for nearly that long and casting bullets for 25 years. I have my lead level tested every year at my annual physical, I have had a level of 6 for as long as I can remember. Less than 20 and the doctors do not even raise an eyebrow, over 30 and they start treatment.

Top Bottom