• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MauserGuy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    DFW
    OK,
    Granted I'm new to this forum and a new want-to-be smithy but that should not deter anyone right?
    In looking at old cartridges the 6.5 Rem Mag was YEARS before its time, as was the .284. The only change I want to make is throating it out a bit so as to have capability to load bullets from Berger and those with a longer ogive for target/varmit shooting.
    Any ideas on action and barrel suppliers?
    Gun Zone Deals

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    A standard large ring Mauser action should suffice if you stick with a .284 based cartridge (6.5-284). You should get ample performance out of the 6.5-284 for long range shooting and you'll get more consistent results with the non-belted case.

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    Jerry Kuhnhausen authored a book on Mauser mechanics/maintenance/assembley that is second to none. This is considered the bible to Mauser afficianados. There are hundreds of mods and barrels available for the model 1898. The large ring mauser is one of my favorite rifles bar none. If you get a C&R license you can easily access mail order Mausers at reasonable prices and have all the building blocks you need. Careful,C&R licenses are highly addictive and cause shrinkage of closet space.

MauserGuy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    DFW
    Bought a Remington 798......removed barrel...purchased 6.5 27" # 7 heavy target in stainless Steel. Stock from Richard's Microfit "Tactical Style" royal camo pattern, 20' degree picatinny rail, Burris extreme rings, topped off with a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42mm Tactical Riflescope.

Smithy helped me bore and flut the barrel and fit it. Pictures to follow......awesome looking cant wait to get to the range and shoot it.
    Anyone know of bulk 6.5 Rem Mag cases or loaded ammo for sale?

MauserGuy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    DFW
    Bought a Remington 798......removed barrel...purchased 6.5 27" # 7 heavy target in stainless Steel. Stock from Richard's Microfit "Tactical Style" royal camo pattern, 20' degree picatinny rail, Burris extreme rings, topped off with a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42mm Tactical Riflescope.
    Smithy helped me bore and flut the barrel and fit it.:confused: Pictures to follow......awesome looking cant wait to get to the range and shoot it.
    Anyone know of bulk 6.5 Rem Mag cases or loaded ammo for sale?

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Very cool can't wait to see this project. I shot a 6.5x284 last week and it was sweet and a hell of a shooter. It was so flat shooting it made my smile :).

Top Bottom