• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Here's my theory. If something were to happen just out of the blue and you live in a fairly populated area it's going to be hell trying to get out of town roads are going to be blocked and just all sorts of crap making it hard to get out in anything bigger than a atv plus your gonna have people going nuts trying to get out on foot and fighting with everyone, so recently I've been thinking about bugging in as a short term alternative in a shtf situation. Keep in mind that this wouldn't work for every situation and it does have flaws. I have recently found a cash crop of square footage in my attic (close to 1100 sqft) and I was talking to my dad about finishing it out as a man cave/bug in shelter so next time he's down here that's our father son project.

What are your thoughts on bugging in at least until things calm down enough to bug out?

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    In some situations it would be better to shelter in place and hold your ground that to bug out anyway. You would need to have your food, water, ammo, guns, first aid, etc (same if you were to bug out) but you might also need sandbags, wood, lighting and things of that nature. The sand bags and wood would be used to help shore of the house and if done fight could also add protection from small arms. It gives you a familiar place which is always easier to defend and you can take care of more people more easily than if you were to try and bug out. But like you said there are time that sheltering in place is not going to work, like the fires in the Bastop area. Just be prepared for both types of situations and you should do fine.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    My first instinct is to Bug-In.

We have accumulated a fair supply of food, water, medicines, arms & ammo.

Should we be forced to evacuate the home-stead, we will do so with pre-packaged supplies.

Problem is, once you are on the road, you are victim to all sorts of random acts of evil.

Be mentally prepared to shoot highway-men when they attempt to take your life or possessions.

Also, know where you will bug-out to.

Make sure it is a place other people will not get to first.

The more I think about it, I will stay put unless fire drives me out.

Be well.

Acesn8's

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Llano county
    Small town population one way in/out unless there's a fire I'm staying . Plenty of like minded folks,but a few strays that can be easily dealt with.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    I unfortunately can't live in a small town yet because my wife make's to much money here in dallas. I had some 3/4 inch plywood laying around so I cut it to fit all the windows and entrance's, I'm building up my food and water stash, enough arms ammo to not run out for a long while unless the whole city try's to run me down. I didn't think about sand bags I'm gonna have to get some along with sand and a mini shovel.

Thegomezclan

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    Kerrville Tx
    Just a thought on the precut plywood, I think it would a good idea to mark on them where they going be placed in the home. Also pre drilling the holes and having good long screws in them to get past the trim and the sheetrock into the wood frame of the window or door.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Bugging out is extremely over rated. It only works if you have prior knowledge, leave immediately, and have a stocked place to go to. Wait until the SHTF, then you better have a helicopter and FEMA compound to go to.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Small town population one way in/out unless there's a fire I'm staying . Plenty of like minded folks,but a few strays that can be easily dealt with.

That is hillarious! Too bad I live in Houston where 95% of the population are "strays".

Instead of bugging in, I prefer to call it holin' up! Some good ideas in this thread.

Thegomezclan

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    Kerrville Tx
    Glockster, thanks for the link. Wouldn't you want to board up your doors and windows from the inside. That way it would keep people with tools from getting in and allow you to get out easier.

Thegomezclan

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    Kerrville Tx
    Yes me like idea about holes. You know depending on how much room you have the inside of you windows it might work. The way the clips look the harder some pushes from the outside the more they would dig into the window frame.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Thanks for helping me save a little face.

You're correct about window frame depth and holding as well as more pressure = tighter grip. They were designed so that the more storm winds sucked the plywood away from windows, the tighter the clips held.

Years ago, I bought them at either Lowes or HD. They are probably a Gulfcoast stocked item but I'm sure you could get them delivered/transferred if not bought online.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    All my ply wood is labeled for each window with a 1/2 inch peep hole in the middle and I have a box of 4 inch screws to secure them to the wood frame with. I'm also contemplating getting some fold up portable solar panels so I can atleast have some power if the juice runs out but I'm still looking into that, didn't know those things had a shelf life.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    All my ply wood is labeled for each window with a 1/2 inch peep hole in the middle ...
    If you haven't already, I'd recommend temporarily installing one or more sheets of plywood to see if the 1/2" peep hole is satisfactory.

Thegomezclan

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    Kerrville Tx
    How about two 1/2 holes about three inches apart and cut between them so you have a slit. I think that would give you a better field of view. You guys are giving a lot of ideas, because having 9 children and one on the way it would be easier to stay then go. One thing to have would to have a 5 gallon bucket that you can put trash bags in it and rig up a toilet seat. That way you would have to use your stored water to flush

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I think that would give you a better field of view.
    That's kinda what I was saying, only I didn't beat him upside the head with tha big stick

... because having 9 children and one on the way it would be easier to stay then go.
    Gomez or Duggar II?
    Never mind, you got at least 10 to go before you're on TV

5 gal bucket? What's that good for, 15 minutes? You need a series trenches !!!

You guys are giving a lot of ideas, ...
    You have a clan - 1/2 way to a mob, you should know to read the fine print.
    We don't give anything, your billing cycle just hasn't come 'round yet.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kennethreyes
    Top Bottom