• ...and so much more!
  • shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    shortround:

Are you located in a place where you will have to bug out -- flood, fire, pestilence, chemical contamination, nuclear radiation, bio hazard? Well i currently live in apartments, in case of a fire, well i have all my things ready.

My main reason really for a bug out bag is for economic downfall, another raccoon city incident, lol.

Will you bug out by foot, bicycle, motorcycle, or car/pick-up truck?

Currently it would be by foot, but in the case where its a civil war, or dead dog eat limping dog, i will borrow a vehicle from the apartments and return it when its all over.

Are you going alone, or do you have family, close friends and/or pets?

Currently my pregnant fiance(hope nothing happens while she is), and i do have family in houston, but they arent prepared much. I have cousin in the valley who coordinate about this, and i am planning on making a trip over there.

It might be better to hunker down in place and build a comfortable stash of food, water, medicine, booze, smokes, fuel, emergency power, guns, and ammo. Don't forget about food and medicine for your dog(s) -- your most reliable early warning system.

In the event something does go down and i can stay in my apartment for awhile, at least a week, i will stay here, and let everything go to shits.

An Army-style duffel bag is the worst way to pack emergency supplies (especially if you are on the move) -- you will have to dig deep into the bag or empty it completely to find what you need.

i have thought about that, and have packed only supplies i wont need in a hurry, i have a backpack where i have medical supplys, and a bit more ammo, i also have an ammo box with shells and .40 cal ammo.

Props to you for thinking about SHTF -- better to have it.

thanks, one thing though that i am having somewhat of a hard time on what to put, on my shotgun's pistol grip, its hollow, and i can open it from the bottom. What would be a good choice to add in there? i was thinking of adding a texas map(if i can fit it in there), or fire making supply's, wrapped in ziploc to make waterproof.

what brand would be good for a compass, i was at academy and was looking at some, and it said not for serious use or something like.

Thanks for the correspondence!

I live in a place where there is no place to flee in a panic situation. So, I have to hunker down with my neighbors and deny access to people who don't live here.

There is nothing is this world you can stuff inside a pistol grip that would save your life.

Get a Silva Compass, they are the best.
    Texas SOT

dreyes89

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    Pasadena
    Hey shooter. I was at work today when I saw a lot of wire laying around and thought it'd be a great item for my bug out bag and then was reminded of your thread. It is stainless steel wire, about 18 gauge and I collected it in spools of 15 feet. If you want one of em, let me know. Just pay the 3 or 4 dollar shipping and I'll send it out to you.

What can be its most effective use? Excuse the noobness...

Only thing I can think of is conductivity, and to tie things with.

Last edited:

Sigmar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Arlington Tx
    Thanks for the correspondence!

I live in a place where there is no place to flee in a panic situation. So, I have to hunker down with my neighbors and deny access to people who don't live here.

There is nothing is this world you can stuff inside a pistol grip that would save your life.

Get a Silva Compass, they are the best.

A friend and I had that discussion once. I have a place up in the mountains to go, he said I was nuts, just organize your neighborhood. Well if its a complete economic collapse just how long do you think the power will stay on with employees receiving no pay and then look at the ramifications from there. I could take out a neighborhood of a couple of hundred homes with just 20 people. The city or suburbs will be no place to try and hold up. my cabin in the mountains will be one of the last places to get tagged and god help anyone coming up there looking for trouble

DPMS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Damn, I am unprepared as ever. All I have now is my trusty AR and a low amount of ammo. Need to get working on some other stuff.

Jwhughes3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    San Antonio
    thanks, one thing though that i am having somewhat of a hard time on what to put, on my shotgun's pistol grip, its hollow, and i can open it from the bottom. What would be a good choice to add in there?

Some cash, or gold (like a necklace) or both. Maybe one extra shell.

JW

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    What can be its most effective use? Excuse the noobness...

Only thing I can think of is conductivity, and to tie things with.

Well yea, to tie things with mostly but there are many more different scenarios in which you'll need to tie thing then you can imagine. Mainly in places where it's better than string. One example is being able to hang something closer to a fire that wont burn like string. Also, snares and booby traps but these are just common uses. There's a lot of other creative ways that aid in survival that steel wire is useful for.

dreyes89

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    Pasadena
    I dunno, waterproof matches would fit pretty well...or a snakebite kit...
    Thought of matches, didn't think of adding any med kits...I also thought about making a tx map super small to fit in it...

Some cash, or gold (like a necklace) or both. Maybe one extra shell.
    JW

I was thinking of shell, but would cash really be worth anything, in certain events? Don't know about gold though

Well yea, to tie things with mostly but there are many more different scenarios in which you'll need to tie thing then you can imagine. Mainly in places where it's better than string. One example is being able to hang something closer to a fire that wont burn like string. Also, snares and booby traps but these are just common uses. There's a lot of other creative ways that aid in survival that steel wire is useful for.

Never thought of hanging stuff above fire, watching the walking dead last night I thought making a perimeter with steel line and have cans hanging or something, if the line moves it makes noise.

Last edited:

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Here's my list currently being assembled.

Food
    MSR Fuel bottle
    MSR Whisperlite International
    Foldable handle cup
    Titanium Snowpeak Spork
    2 x Eggs and Bacon - MH Meal
    2 x Beef Stroganoff - MH Meal
    1 x ?? - MH Meal

Fire
    Tin of fire starters
    2 x EXOTAC tinderTIN
    EXOTAC nanostriker

Water
    MSR MiniWorks EX Kit(water filter)
    MSR MiOx Kit (and spare batteries/salt)
    Pair of Water Purification Tablets
    4 x 32oz water

Shelter
    Adventure Medical Emergency Bivvy
    Adventure Medical SOL Emergency Blanket

Chemical Hand Warmer
    Rain Jacket

Light
    8 x CR123 Spares
    Flashlight
    2 x EXOTAC small candle tin

Tools
    Binocs (monoc preferred?)
    Full size knife
    Multitool

REI Daypack FAK

Misc.
    Garmin GPSMap 60CSX, spare batteries ??
    Sharpie
    Gel Pen
    Bic Rollerball
    York Tin of 550 Cord, Coiled (approx 75 feet)
    2 x Gallon Ziplocks
    Packable roll of duct tape

Wet wipes
    Deodorant
    Tooth brush/toothpaste
    Nail clippers
    Splinter pulleer
    Knife sharpener
    Otis gun kit

AR
    300 rounds

EDC Items
    HK P30
    2 mags
    Gerber
    SOG Knife
    Gerber Shard
    Surefire P6

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    These bag contents need to change with the seasons, obviously.
    Who is on meds here? Keep a few days worth loaded. Glasses? You ain't much good if you can't see.
    How full is the fuel tank on your bov? Prep for short term. I consider mine a tornado bag. Seems like the most likely reason for displacement out here.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    These bag contents need to change with the seasons, obviously.
    Who is on meds here? Keep a few days worth loaded. Glasses? You ain't much good if you can't see.
    How full is the fuel tank on your bov? Prep for short term. I consider mine a tornado bag. Seems like the most likely reason for displacement out here.

I have months of meds and my wife is getting her "prep pair" of glasses next week. Also investing in a Honda ruckus for a bug in vehicle. I plan for bugging in and out.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Oh yea. Hit the flea market and got 2 good prep items.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362452418.690175.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362452499.335000.jpg

30 bucks total.

Gonna hit the shop and put sides on the wagon with molle on yhe outside. Gonna get my huge bear of a dog a harness and modify the wagon to be able to be pulled using his harness. The kids love the wagon.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I drug my kids for a little over a mile through the pasture today in the wagon. Total weight is probably about 75 lbs.

Get out and practice on some rough terrain, my calves were burning, lol. Of course this was one of the plastic radio flyers and not exactly made for all terrain use. Gets heavy in soft dirt.

Good idea with the dog, but you may have to drag it yourself someday.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    I drug my kids for a little over a mile through the pasture today in the wagon. Total weight is probably about 75 lbs.

Get out and practice on some rough terrain, my calves were burning, lol. Of course this was one of the plastic radio flyers and not exactly made for all terrain use. Gets heavy in soft dirt.

Good idea with the dog, but you may have to drag it yourself someday.

Yes I will have to which is why I'm keeping the handle on it. Not worried about it too much though. I'm a p90x graduate... Not to toot my own horn but FAAAAAART

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Baaaah, I'm doin it the old fashioned way.

Are you gonna put some kind of flap to cover the webbing when not in use. Might help to prevent snagging when trying to move through brush.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Baaaah, I'm doin it the old fashioned way.

Are you gonna put some kind of flap to cover the webbing when not in use. Might help to prevent snagging when trying to move through brush.

Opoooh a great idea. Yes, now. Haha. Yea I did it the old fashioned way for 13 years. Ended up in the hosppital on one of my long stays and lost a lot of weight and muscle and got pretty out of shape so I had to get disciplined again, and fast. It worked great. You should try it. All of those years of fitness and it took 3 months to be "in the best shape of my life".

Yea, I think I'll put those press buttons along the sides and is em to cover the molle with material. Grand idea.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Had the thought of packing some zip ties. Not sure exactly for what, but I use them all the time now, and they can be really handy. They are light and don't take up much space. I bought some big ones tonight. (11") Most of the ones I have are pretty small.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Had the thought of packing some zip ties. Not sure exactly for what, but I use them all the time now, and they can be really handy. They are light and don't take up much space. I bought some big ones tonight. (11") Most of the ones I have are pretty small.

Shelter construction, repairing equipment(shoulder strap or busted zipper on bag), I'm sure with enough imagination more ideas would come up.

Top Bottom