• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I stripped the head on the forward sight rail screw when trying to remove it. It was abnormally tight (from the factory), and knew I should have taken my time and soaked it first. It was so tight and I was cranking on it so hard that when the allen wrench stripped the head, it threw a spark. The screw head is slightly recessed, so it seems that cutting a slot with a dremel to use a flathead screwdriver is not a viable means of removal. Any suggestions? What about using an easy-out...do they make easy-outs that small?
    Gun Zone Deals

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Easy out, with a small soldering torch heating the allen screw a bit before using the easy out, Should heat up the loctite if there is any on there. Take your time, have patience

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    There wasn't any loctite on the rear screw, so I would assume there is none on the front (prob a bad assumption, I know). I tried tapping in a larger allen, but that didn't work. Before doing that, I JB-welded the correct size allen into the head...negative, twisted right out.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Easy out, with a small soldering torch heating the allen screw a bit before using the easy out, Should heat up the loctite if there is any on there. Take your time, have patience

Sounds like a job for a reverse drill bit.

The more I think about stuff that requires my impatient, ham-fisted self to take it slow and easy, I am thinking the factory might be the best alternative. LOL!

It's a small screw, so I assume y'all are implying they make easy-outs and reverse bits small enough for the job. I'll have to take a look at the hardware store...all of my easy-outs are much too big.

thanks for all the help!

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I have had good results with cutting a slot in the head, heating it up a bit, and then using a impact tool and firm (but not too hard) hammer strikes to get screws stuck like that to break lose.

In case you are not familiar with that type of tool, they can usually be found at Sears, Harbor Freight, Northern Tool and most all auto parts stores for around $20-$30. Just make sure your have selected the proper direction for it to turn, easy to tighten instead of loosening if not familiar with it's settings and operation. They usually come with good directions, but testing it on another screw and a scrap piece of wood to get the feel is always a good idea for a first timer.

hand-impact_s.jpg

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Acera, I have that tool and totally forgot about it. But, like I said, cutting the slot is a no-go since the head is slightly recessed (I'd be cutting into the rail as well)...unless there's another way to cut the slot besides with a dremel disc?

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Acera, I have that tool and totally forgot about it. But, like I said, cutting the slot is a no-go since the head is slightly recessed (I'd be cutting into the rail as well)...unless there's another way to cut the slot besides with a dremel disc?

Yeah, I understand. I just looked at my Buckmark to get a better idea. I think a regular cutting wheel would be too large, but if you have one that is well worn, almost unusable in size it might work. You would probably have to modify the bit also. Glad to see someone else with that tool. When I need one, it usually takes care of the issues pretty well, not many people outside the auto industry know about them.

Wish I could help more.

458Lott

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Midland, Texas
    I have had good results with cutting a slot in the head, heating it up a bit, and then using a impact tool and firm (but not too hard) hammer strikes to get screws stuck like that to break lose.

In case you are not familiar with that type of tool, they can usually be found at Sears, Harbor Freight, Northern Tool and most all auto parts stores for around $20-$30. Just make sure your have selected the proper direction for it to turn, easy to tighten instead of loosening if not familiar with it's settings and operation. They usually come with good directions, but testing it on another screw and a scrap piece of wood to get the feel is always a good idea for a first timer.

hand-impact_s.jpg
    Saved my butt on a couple of occasions. WELL worth the $ IMO. But that screw if tiny as $h!t... Can you post up a pick and perhaps people can better assess the issue.

10mm and 45

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    San Antonio
    If an easy out is too big I'd try getting a torx bit that will fit snuggly and maybe heat the area around the screw and tap the bit with a small hammer then try to back the screw out.

Hope this helps

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    If an easy out is too big I'd try getting a torx bit that will fit snuggly and maybe heat the area around the screw and tap the bit with a small hammer then try to back the screw out.

Hope this helps

You might be onto something....torx bit in the impact driver....gonna have to give that one a shot!

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas

Hope this helps

Just be careful and don't hit it to hard.......it will shatter and make it almost impossible to drill out. Yes I did that trying to remove a broken screw in an air compressor.

Top Bottom