• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WestTexasshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    Sweetwater, TX
    How many rounds does it take to break-in a browning buckmark? I have put 1000 rounds through it, cleaned it several times, just shot high power and I still get stovepipes. Any suggestions or do I need more rounds to break it in?:banghead:
    ARJ Defense ad

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    1000 is enough. You did lube it up right?

What ammo are you using. Winchester Bulk? If so that's your issue.

Another one that bites me in the A$$ is the sight base getting loose. I use thread seal tape on those two top screws to keep them in snug.

Polish that feed ramp. Helps a ton.

Use the Federal Bulk pack. Great stuff or better CCI HP Blasers.

attachment.jpg

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    mine stopped having issues after about 200 rounds. I have fired nothing but federal bulk ammo through it so far. I can make my buckmark stovepipe just by limpwristing though, my guess is that it is a low powered round so any variance will cause it to short cycle. If this isn't the issue I would find a heavier grain 22 and give the spring a good working. also, check to make sure your extractor has a good edge on it, could also be a contributor.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    That's my one knock on the Buckmark. Mine will shoot Mini Mags or hyper stuff all day, but when I try sub sonic premium target rounds (which should be the most accurate) it's prone to jamming. Maybe once in 50 rounds or so. I've only got about 300 rounds through it so I'm hopping it will clear up. When I've got some time I think I'm going to detail strip and clean it.

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    Break in?

I've only fired CCI standard velocity 40gr LRN in mine since day one and have not had a single jam yet.

-Randy

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    .22 pistols can be finicky. So can rifles, for that matter... Try different ammo until the gun likes it.

Quite true. The small recoil from the .22 is hard to tune perfectly. That said, my Ruger MK I (that I sold in about a month ago) handled everything sans, CB's which I could shoot, but needed to pull the slide to eject and chamber the next round.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Quite true. The small recoil from the .22 is hard to tune perfectly. That said, my Ruger MK I (that I sold in about a month ago) handled everything sans, CB's which I could shoot, but needed to pull the slide to eject and chamber the next round.

Can't see an autoloader cycling CBs. Just not nearly enough power there.

Aguila's SSS did cycle my Marlin rifle, though. :D

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    that is something i have wondered about. a semi-auto made for firing really light loads like CBs...

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Can't see an autoloader cycling CBs. Just not nearly enough power there.

Aguila's SSS did cycle my Marlin rifle, though. :D

Yeah, I never expected the MK I to cycle CBs, but the long version would feed, shot and ejected when the slide was manually cycled.

WestTexasshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    Sweetwater, TX
    Ok, I went to lubbock today(aka Gander Mountain and Sharp Shooter), and I bought about 10 different types of 22lr. Gonna try it out in a bit, and I will give my results in a few days.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    IMO, try the hotter stuff first and work your way down to see how low you can go. Most of the time with pistols it's a "not enough power" issue.

BFThorp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Fort Worth
    ... it's a "not enough power" issue.

This is only one side of the coin. When you are having ejection issues, you are probably over-sprung for the power of the ammo. Manufacturers IMO, tend to send their guns out oversprung to prevent us from battering them with HV ammo. Rather than buying a bunch of different ammo, you could buy a recoil spring kit or some reduced weight springs and find out what weight spring works with the ammo you want to shoot. Switch ammo/power, switch springs... problem solved in most cases. BTW Woolfe is where I got my last kit.

TX0303

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    CenTex
    I bought my Buckmark just a few weeks ago and have only shot WWB thru it. The one and only FTE was the other day when my daughter was shooting it for the first time. She could have limp-wristed it, I don't know. No other problems at all.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    1000 is enough. You did lube it up right?

What ammo are you using. Winchester Bulk? If so that's your issue.

Another one that bites me in the A$$ is the sight base getting loose. I use thread seal tape on those two top screws to keep them in snug.

Polish that feed ramp. Helps a ton.

Use the Federal Bulk pack. Great stuff or better CCI HP Blasers.

attachment.jpg

or just the opposite.... if the site base is on too tight.... it could cause ejections problems or stovepipes.......at least that was a problem with mine......

WestTexasshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    Sweetwater, TX
    Ok gentlemen, I shot alot of subsonic ammo and it cycled without any problems. Then I put some of the above federals, win wildcats, and cci, and had a few stove pipes. I wonder if I took a few links out of the spring or bought a aftermarket one. Anymore suggestions?

Top Bottom