TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    It should work just fine in your AR.

I am of the opinion that an AR that doesn't eat enything nd everything isn't wirth having.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Brown Bear, Wolf, shoots fine in my AR, Mini-14, Mini-30, & Galil (Golani), The full jacketed and soft nose hunting rounds feed flawlessly but the Galil and the Mini-30 needed a little mod to fsultlessly feed the hollow point type.

gerritm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    seabrook, tx
    My old upper on my DPMS fired anything. I just changed to a new one and it doesn't seem to like any of the coated Russian ammo. I had no problems with it before. I am going to clean it good and shoot it again and try the coated Brown Bear and Wolf ammo. If it still is a problems I may have some to sell. I should know in a week or 2.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    My old upper on my DPMS fired anything. I just changed to a new one and it doesn't seem to like any of the coated Russian ammo. I had no problems with it before. I am going to clean it good and shoot it again and try the coated Brown Bear and Wolf ammo. If it still is a problems I may have some to sell. I should know in a week or 2.

Just curious, what chamber is your new upper? 5.56 or .233?

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Brown Bear, Wolf, shoots fine in my AR, Mini-14, Mini-30, & Galil (Golani), The full jacketed and soft nose hunting rounds feed flawlessly but the Galil and the Mini-30 needed a little mod to fsultlessly feed the hollow point type.

What did you have to do to your Mini-30 to get it to feed? I never shot mine much because of the feeding issue, but I could always trace it to poorly built magazines (factory mags would feed anything). The aftermarket mags seemed to position the cartridges at the wrong angle and send the bullet straight into the bottom of the breach as there wasn’t a feed ramp of any kind. Now that Ruger is making high capacity factory mags for the 30, it’s breathed new life into the rifle, but it would be nice to use aftermarket mags if need be.

gerritm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    seabrook, tx
    Just curious, what chamber is your new upper? 5.56 or .233?

It is supposed to be .223. The Wolf and Brown Bear is marked .223. I did not check the markings on the barrel to see if it will fire 5.56. I have never fired 5.56 ammo. But DPMS does not warranty the chamber if you use reloads. They do not recommend using the coated steel ammo.

My Mini 14 would fire anything also. I had the factory 20 round and a couple of aftermarket 30 round mags and they all worked fine. It was a late model target model.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    To improve feeding hollow point ammo in the Mini-30, I used a Dremel tool on the sharp edges , lower part of chamber and the sharp ridge aft of the chamber and polished the slightly ground area with jewelers rouge using the Dremel. I was very careful not to remove but slightly the lower part of the chamber, just enough that the blunt hollow point doesn't hang up but goes on into the chamber smoothly. With the Galil (Golani) a similiar but more radical cure outlined in Uzi Talk.com in the Galil Section. Which worked well. The 5 round factory mag fed better than the off brand 30 rounders before modification although not as well as following mod.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Polymer coated ammo is ok in an AK, but I would not use it in my AR. The coating comes off in the chamber slowing and possibly fouling the action. My Bushmaster seems to be picky about the .223 Bear, but the AK never misses a beat, with any ammo.
    If you shoot a lot of rounds, you probably don't want a polymer coated round sitting in a really hot chamber.

My 2 cents, your results may vary...

Top Bottom