• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    Went to Academy and bought the Marlin XL7 .270. After I laser sighted in the scope, went to the range to test the new toy... I'm not rifle expert nor am I a sharp shooter, but this rifle made me look good. After a few clicks on the on scope to fine tune it, I was getting a group that was 1" or less at 100 yds... For $260 (reduced price from $290), it's a heck of a deal. I had my wife shoot it just to see if she could handle a .270; pffft no problem. She hit the bullseye with ease and wants to go back to the range with it...

Anyone wanting their first rifle or wanting to get a back up, you cannot go wrong with the Marlin XL7 for the price. I see this rifle to be a sleeper; which I'm not able to compare it to the higher end models, but I feel this could give them a run for their money...

Total cost: $460.00 plus tax, includes: Rifle, Scope, Rings, and Strap.
    ARJ Defense ad

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    I took a chance on a Hawke Scope, Nite-Eye 3-12x50mm. So far, the scope has held true and seems to be built fairly soild (but who knows in the long run). I currently have a Nikon ProStaff on my LR-308, but plan on switching them after deer season. I really like having something more than a 9x zoom... As for pics, If I get time I'll post something to tonight.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    Sounds like a good scope. I'll look for it at Academy in Beaumont. I saw a Weatherby Vangard I there that had a $399 price tag on it. I'm not sure if it was for just the rifle or for a combo with a scope. It had a guarantee of a 1 1/4 inch group at 100 yards or Weatherby would fix it or replace it. I asked if the group was over the shoulder and using a mirror. They said, "Don't think so!" LOL

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    I wonder what scope they have on it???
    The scope the I bought, they don't sell at Academy. I ended up getting online for $170.00. Academy does have the Nikon ProStaff, which is a good scope for the price.

tommyh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Houston
    ive shot the same exact rifle, and the trigger was like nothing ive shot before. it was very very easy with no crispness like you would expect from the sear disengaging. it just went and went and went and all of a sudden the rifle fired. scared the crap out of me :D. nowhere near as much recoil as my 700ADL in 270. made me want another 270!

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    Here's the Rifle:
    XL7270a.jpg

First Target at 100 yds:
    1sttarget.jpg

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    I'm thinking of putting my Nikon 3-9x40mm that's on my LR-308 on the Marlin after deer season. The LR-308 is shooting to good to change right now. But the 12x zoom is sure is nice... As for breaking the barrel in, still working on that. I was going to clean after each shot for 10 rounds, but my time was limited that day.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I bet that 12x is nice. As far as breaking it in I think everyone's method is different so I was just wondering what you were going with. I've heard at least 10 different methods.

1rightguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Carter's Country has them listed in their weekly add for 370- including a "factory mounted" scope. I have a 100- x-mas gift card from there. I might just take them up on that.

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    Gift Cards are great.... Well, when you are wanting to spend it on something you want. When people gift me gift cards, I'll ask to give a gift card to one place only. In the past, I would get 5 different gift cards for 5 different locations. So, it made it hard to buy something really nice..

For the price of this rifle, I feel you will be more than happy. Hopefully, I can put it through the true test this weekend and be able to harvest an animal...

If you get one, post your thoughts on here..

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Other than the deer being scared of that gigantic blinking EYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL. No nothing is wrong with big scopes I was just clowning around that's all. All Tho I do have a little pet peeve with huge scopes I guess but only when they are mounted on 30-30s or something like that that can't shoot half as far as the scope can see. But I was just jokeing with that post.

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    Other than the deer being scared of that gigantic blinking EYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL. No nothing is wrong with big scopes I was just clowning around that's all. All Tho I do have a little pet peeve with huge scopes I guess but only when they are mounted on 30-30s or something like that that can't shoot half as far as the scope can see. But I was just jokeing with that post.

Now that's funny...

Top Bottom