• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    After years of drooling and saving, I finally did it and it arrived today. It is the most I have ever spent on a firearm. I can't wait to get it to the range over the next couple of days and see what it can do. Most likely I will put a scope on it and have ordered a mount already. I still haven't decided which scope or whether or not to add a bipod. I can't wait to test various loads although I'll probably use 7.62 NATO if I can find it at a decent price, any good sources? I can't tell from GT's website what they actually have.
    Guns International

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I never could afford one until I started selling my stuff to pay for it. I scraped up the bucks and ordered the rifle. Can't say I ever worked so hard to obtain any firearm before or since.

I got the National Match, glass bedded walnut stock, SS air gauge barrel with NM sights. It shoots great and I've fired it in a couple of 600 yard matches. It has everything but the rear lugged receiver.

What model did you get?

I've had offers to sell it. In a word......don't. My rifle is worth used more than I paid for it new. Another word of caution on the M1A: Don't let a casual Internet search set the value of your rifle. I hunted for a long time for my rifle and found that companies advertising the rifles at great prices didn't have any in stock. The only reliable Internet price on your rifle is for one in stock and available for sale.

Flash

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Congratulations. I was the same way, but it was a Colt 1911 that I always wanted. I finally got it last year.

tenfeathers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    crawford tx
    I have one that I bought new in 1985 with Art 4 scope national match barrell, you will love the gun I promise.
    Never mount a bipod to any part of the barrell get a harris bipod that mounts to the bottom of the forearm sling.
    The rifle was designed to use light ball 7.62x51 146gr bullet's they really don't like heavy ammo damages the gun over time . See if you can find some Radway green or south african ammo on Gunbroker.com or Ammoman.com

jst my 2cts your mileage may vary

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    It is the loaded model with the carbon steel NM barrel, front sight hooded GI competition rear sight and walnut sight. Model MA9222.

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    Very good choice. I love mine. I added a wooden barrel shrowd that matched the stock and it really sweetened the look.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The rifle was designed to use light ball 7.62x51 146gr bullet's they really don't like heavy ammo damages the gun over time . See if you can find some Radway green or south african ammo on Gunbroker.com or Ammoman.com

The loaded has a 1:11 twist rate so it's designed for 168 - 175 grain match bullets. The key is loading the ammo below book to keep the receiver from getting beaten by the op-rod.

Federal has come out with a load specifically made for the M1A, it's a red box with a BTHP bullet and has "For M1A" on it.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I would like to offer congrats also. When I was in the Army back in 1968 I was assigned the duty of being my company's armorer. I had a room full of M14s, 1911s and some assorted machine guns to take care of. I always wanted an M1A rifle after leaving the Army, but one thing or another kept that from happening. Three weeks ago I purchased a used Springfield Armory M1A Standard. It took over 40 years, but I finally own a rifle that looks just like the one I humped around in the Army. My civilian model does not have the fire control selector like my M14 did, but it is still heavy and kicks like a mule. This goes to show that what goes around, comes around.
    I recently read that the Army is bringing some of their M1A rifles out of moth balls. The rifles go through a make over and are returning to action in Afghanistan. It seems the G.I. likes the fact that a 7.62x51 round will penetrate cinder block walls an tag the bad guys, where as the 5.56 will not. I applaud the Army for giving the grunts on the ground the weapons they need for the situations they encounter.

Wandering Scot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Houston
    Congrats on the M1A, they are great rifles.
    Midway had some good pricing a while back on 147 grain American Eagle ammo.
    As far as scopes the big thing will be whether you want a scout style or a normal scope.
    The M1A's have a bit of recoil so don't cheap out on the scope as the less expensive ones won't hold zero, also keep in mind your eye relief.
    I've had good results on that rifle with Millet and Trijicon.
    What mount did you go with?

Top Bottom