• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    "I'm not interested in hobbiests or nostalgia buffs. I'm aiming my material at the strong-minded individualist, the only type who can, and should, survive."

Kurt Saxon is most notorious for his Poor Man's James Bond series, a collection of five books (four in print and the fifth a .PDF) which teach readers how to make bombs, poisons, firearms, improvised weapons, covert chemical laboratories, as well other titillating, action-oriented items. From a standpoint of true survival, however, his ultimate masterpiece is the Survivor series (there are at least ten volumes, four in print and the rest as .PDF).

The PMJB may be all fun and games, but the Survivor series contains the vital information needed to survive. These books will teach you how to grow food, purify water, harvest natural energy, save money, live healthy, and much, MUCH more. They are must-haves for any survivalist or self-reliant person. (His PMJB series are must-haves for collectors of unusual books.) After all, who better to compile this information than the man who invented the word "Survivalist?"

In the author's own words: "The Survivor is the first publication preparing its readers to the total collapse of our economy and social system. The Survivor is not an alarmist publication, nor does it give false hope to those who believe they can ride out the coming calamities through 'wise investing.' Instead, The Survivor shows you how our great-grandparents provided for their own needs and for those of their neighbors. With The Survivor you can, without buying commercial 'survival' foods and products protect your home, feed your family and be of such value to your neighbors that they will defend you rather than loot you."

The series consists mostly of old public domain articles which Mr. Saxon felt would be of interest to those who wish to live in various degrees of independence. All of the included projects revolve around using a minimum of time, effort, and money to make something which is built to last. Reading these articles quickly makes one realize that in general, the old ways are still best.

Interspersed throughout the series are essays on various topics of survival penned by Mr. Saxon. They are always stimulating and enjoyable to read. His intelligent and mostly level-headed attitude towards things is a far cry from the crazed-paranoiac rantings those who know nothing of survivalism may expect. It is hardly a wonder he was printed amongst the likes of Mel Tappan.

Unfortunately these books are getting harder and harder to find, as they are not being printed anymore and those who have them are reluctant to get rid of them. The prices are high, but any of his books found at $75 or less are still well worth the money considering the rarity of such information and the money these books can save you if you choose to implement their ideas.

Beware there are three different kinds of Survivor series. The original was a newsletter. It should be correctly labeled as, "Survivor Vol. X Issue Y." These newsletters later were compiled into thin, newspaper-sized magazines with a brown spine and cheap paer printed in the seventies. These volumes are only about 100 pages or so and should be correctly labeled as "Survivor Volume X, Issues Y through Z." The third go-round of the Survivor series collected about four of the previous Survivor magazines in one book printed on high-quality paper. They are labeled simply as "Survivor Vol. X." These books have a red rectangle bordering the title and a much higher page count. Unfortunately they do not include the letters sent in to Mr. Saxon and his replies, which were included in the original magazines. It's always interesting to read Mr. Saxon's thoughts on various issues.

If you are just looking for controversial and inflammatory information, stick with the PMJB series. If you are in the market for some TRULY subversive information, go for the Survivor. After all, what can be more subversive than refusing to be dependent on the system?
    ARJ Defense ad

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I have Vol. 2 and 3 of the survivor and 1,2,3 of PMJB in print. I have everything else he made, including his videos as PDFs somewhere but I can't find them. I'll probably have to buy them again.

His videos were... very unique. One segment of one started off, "Ricin is one of the most deadly natural substances known to man. 1/1000th of a grain is lethal. To make ricin at home, you will need the following..." Here's a segment of one I stumbled upon. Skip to the 1:00 mark. It skips through the bomb-making details since it's promotional, but it proves videos like this do exist. (Note: Kurt Saxon checked with his local law enforcement and Fire Marshalls before making the items in these videos. I doubt many of the things he made are still legal to build in most places.)

http://survivalplus.com/video/MS_Video/hypno-vid_01.WMV

At any rate, like I said- that's the fun/action stuff. The Survivor series is his true masterpiece.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom