• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    I have a 2016 Superduty that I bought specifically to tow our RV down here. It has super low miles for the year at 40,000. It's been my baby for the last few years. It was nearly perfect when I bought it with 16,500, and has lived in garage every day of its life.
    About a month ago, the left rear let go on 45 and wiped out the whole bedside. I searched hard for a replacement bed, but it's an odd color so I had no luck.
    I got some estimates, and found a little shop that was full of vintage hotrods, which is a good sign, and took their bid.
    During the estimate, they asked about my toolbox and 5th wheel hitch since they would need to pull the bed. I volunteered to remove them mainly because I'd rather be the one reinstalling and torquing the hardware.
    They included the price of a new tire in the estimate, so at the end they said I would be refunded that money since I was going to replace all the tires anyway. I sked them to use that money to spray the bottom of the bed while it was off, since I saw some places the paint was in bad shape, and surface rust was starting.
    They agreed, and in follow up calls they assured me that it would be done.
    Once I picked it up, I noticed that they did not in fact spray under the bed, except where they replaced the panels.
    I called to ask, and was assured that it was an oversight, and to bring it back. So we dropped it off and left. They called later to say that they did not remove the bed, they repaired it in place. And that they thought I meant that they needed to spray the new metal. And that they would be happy to do it. But it would be a new job, and quite expensive since they would have to remove the bed. I refused, since as far as I can tell I was straight up lied to at least 3 times about the repair.
    Now I'm stuck with the choice of removing the bed myself to do it right. Crawling under with a wire brush and a spray can. Or just selling the damn thing and go a different direction.
    I left them a fairly scathing, but IMHO honest review. They have not called back.
    Did I also mention that they didn't deburr my fender flair, and sprayed over a sharp mold flash that will eventually be a point of paint failure?

So who is the asshole? Me for expecting them to treat it like they would one of those hotrods? Or them for lying and not doing proper work?
    I will say that the flatwork paint is pretty spectacular. It's just the fine details like the fender flair. And that inside the fuel door was full of sanding dust. And there was white wax residue all over that I had to rub off...

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    If the original repair request/work order was in writing and included the indicated work that was not done, then they are on the hook for all the labor and such to do the work as indicated and paid for. It sucks to be them having to eat the labor costs to do rework since they failed to do it up front as noted in the work order. You likely also have legal grounds to pursue it in small claims court to get it done.

If you have a lawyer friend maybe they could draft a letter to them to correct their oversight or mistake with the wording that is could escalate to filing a lawsuit and proceeding to court.

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    If the original repair request/work order was in writing and included the indicated work that was not done, then they are on the hook for all the labor and such to do the work as indicated and paid for. It sucks to be them having to eat the labor costs to do rework since they failed to do it up front as noted in the work order. You likely also have legal grounds to pursue it in small claims court to get it done.

If you have a lawyer friend maybe they could draft a letter to them to correct their oversight or mistake with the wording that is could escalate to filing a lawsuit and proceeding to court.
    They did the bid repair. The "extra" work was verbal, save for a post it note I saw them put in the file..

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    It's funny though. The office guy was really appreciative that I told them up front that they had all the time in the world. And did not call them demanding progress reports like most folks.. I told him at the estimate that it was "my baby", and correct work was way more important than speed. That really helped (sarcasm). I think they saw it as an old farm truck and acted accordingly..

Last edited:

ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    Unfortunately in law and business, if it wasn't documented...it never happened.
    I made it clear that I'd be happy to cover the work requested that was beyond the scope of the insurance work..
    My point of view is if a classic car came in for a fender bender insurance job, would they blow off extra work the owner requested?
    I was fairly certain that the $350 tire money was not going to cover the work I requested, but he didn't balk, and didn't request extra money down. He just wrote down the desired work on a post it, and stuck it to the work order. And acted like it wouldn't be a problem..

Top Bottom