• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    So yesterday I got suckered into going out at 0330 with my wife and her sister in Tulsa (Owaso) actually to hit the sales. As we were waolking up to Kohls at about 0400 I noticed a "Mutt & Jeff" husband and wife approaching us. The hisband was at least 6'6" and 300+ and the woman was about 5' nothin.... I will admit my situational awareness slipped as I was actually engaged in a conversation with my SIL about why I was carrying that day, and the wife of this duo plowed straigt into me. I began appologizing profusley, and almost before I coould think, her husband begins to loudly exclaim how he was going to kick my little butt all over the parking lot. I am not easily intimidated, but this guy was REALLY making me nervous. I tried dong all the right things, backing away and trying to disengae, but he just kept coming... My wife and sister had gone on into the store to try and find security (not sure what good they would have done). I finally told the guy I wasnt going to be much of a challenge and this wasnt going to take long, he stopped, looked atme and said "This is going to last as long as I want it to!" I was still trying to back away, and told him no, it really wouldnt take that long. He laughed and asked why I thought that... My repsonse? Because I am about to shoot your big dumb ass if you keep threatening me... He grabbed his wife and mumbled about it beng my lucky day and left in a very rapid manner. Outside of losing my situational awareness at the begining I am not sure what else I could have done short of submitting to a physical confrontation with man mountain.... My sister in law was very curious about what happened when I finally met up with them inside, and when I relayed the series of events she proceeded to tell me that was the problem with guns... that they led to violence, personally I feel that in this instance they averted violence....
    Gun Zone Deals

Euclid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Dallas
    Sorry to hear about your situation... Honestly, carrying or not, situations like that are realistically unavoidable at times. It's all in how you handle it, and I can't say I would have handled it any differently.

Blue Falcon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Arlington
    The Kimber Pepper Blaster would have even been better. I would have been worried about shooting an unarmed person in court even if he was that big.

81aggie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2009
    San Antonio
    ...My sister in law was very curious about what happened when I finally met up with them inside, and when I relayed the series of events she proceeded to tell me that was the problem with guns... that they led to violence...

Just curious. Did your SIL elaborate on how your carrying a gun caused this situation? I tend to agree with you, your having the gun prevented the situation from escalating. Glad it ended well for you (and for the man mountain).

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Your SIL needs to be educated. See if you get any teaching opportunities and go from there. We all know here guns aren't the problem. It is idiots with hot attitudes like that guy you ran into that's the problem.

I'm not 100% I would have told him I'd shoot him if he advanced. I think I would have left it up to him to find out by surprise he's suddenly looking down the barrel of a cold .45.

Either way, you got out of there with just words being thrown around so that's a win. 330am on Black Friday is tough to be in top awareness mode but yall got out of there Good job

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Your SIL needs to be educated. See if you get any teaching opportunities and go from there. We all know here guns aren't the problem. It is idiots with hot attitudes like that guy you ran into that's the problem.

I'm not 100% I would have told him I'd shoot him if he advanced. I think I would have left it up to him to find out by surprise he's suddenly looking down the barrel of a cold .45.

Either way, you got out of there with just words being thrown around so that's a win. 330am on Black Friday is tough to be in top awareness mode but yall got out of there Good job
    +1
    Glad all turned out ok!

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I'm not sure exactly what I would do, but your response certainly got the desired end result.....the idiot left and it didn't become physical.

I'm always amazed by people like that. Those are the ones you hear about on the news.....

Jeff B

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Flower Mound, TX
    Good job, it seems that you did the best you could. Unfortunately, I believe most instances like this will present themselves quickly, with little to no warning...

Like K.O.W. pointed out, you got the desired result without further escalation.

I've always sat out the Friday Frenzy, but this year, I joined the mopb for an hour, form 6 - 7 AM @ Bass Pro in Grapevine. There were a coupl of items on their four hour sale I wanted to pick up.

Otherwise, I'd poke at you for your shopping trip. ;)

Jeff B.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I believe you did all you could do...

It's always the people that don't prepare for this that think that it's guns that cause the problems...

In actuality it's human emotions, volatile reactions in situations, and thoughtlessness...

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Just curious. Did your SIL elaborate on how your carrying a gun caused this situation? I tend to agree with you, your having the gun prevented the situation from escalating. Glad it ended well for you (and for the man mountain).
    This is an ongoing debate with us, she had a friend killed as a child by an "unloaded" gun...

Her opinion in this situation was that the firearm gave me a "false sense of confidence". My reply was that at 6'1 250lbs and 11 years and counting in the Military, nothing about my confidence was false.... I honestly believe that a firearm (or threat there of) was the only thing that was going to deter this guy.... I have gradualy brought my wifes family around to the point that they dont think I am nuts for carrying everywhere I go, to the point that my brother in law bought an XD (still has no ammo in the house... baby steps) and my father in law shoots periodically with me now... funny story about that for another post...

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    This is an ongoing debate with us, she had a friend killed as a child by an "unloaded" gun...

Her opinion in this situation was that the firearm gave me a "false sense of confidence". My reply was that at 6'1 250lbs and 11 years and counting in the Military, nothing about my confidence was false.... I honestly believe that a firearm (or threat there of) was the only thing that was going to deter this guy.... I have gradualy brought my wifes family around to the point that they dont think I am nuts for carrying everywhere I go, to the point that my brother in law bought an XD (still has no ammo in the house... baby steps) and my father in law shoots periodically with me now... funny story about that for another post...

Now that I think about it, I think so too. I mentioned up there that I might not have said anything about a gun but instead mentioned something about 'stopping'. However, seeing how that guy was so macho about spouting off his toughness I don't think saying anything to the effect of 'stop' would have deterred it. It probably would have done the opposite and actually encouraged him to escalate to physical. You would have had to draw for sure because I doubt he would have stopped until he had his butt handed to him.

Best thing was you got out of it. We can't second guess that

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    The trouble with the location is all of the security cameras hidden and visible. I have carried for decades and always try to remain vigilant regarding my surroundsing, but surely I drop my guard often enough without realizing it. I have been cautious a few times but have never had to actually pull my gun out and point it. I have always told myself if it comes to that I am pulling the trigger. Hope I never find out. No plan survives first contact with the enemy.

rosebud99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2008
    rio grande valley- harlingen
    hey dirty..... did u report this idiot to the police, just say how we've all read about assholes like this trying to turn the table on the good guys and make a report first and say he was threatened with violence?

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    The walmart walk:

Walmarttactical.jpg

GI-John

Hurry up and wait!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Houston/San Antonio TX
    good job

I think you handled the situation alright. Things don't always go perfectly. I would like so second the pepper spray suggestion. I was sprayed for the military and it was no joke..... Military grade is some strong $#!T but I imagine the store bought stuff packs some kick.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    So yesterday I got suckered into going out at 0330 with my wife and her sister in Tulsa (Owaso) actually to hit the sales. As we were waolking up to Kohls at about 0400 I noticed a "Mutt & Jeff" husband and wife approaching us. The hisband was at least 6'6" and 300+ and the woman was about 5' nothin.... I will admit my situational awareness slipped as I was actually engaged in a conversation with my SIL about why I was carrying that day, and the wife of this duo plowed straigt into me. I began appologizing profusley, and almost before I coould think, her husband begins to loudly exclaim how he was going to kick my little butt all over the parking lot. I am not easily intimidated, but this guy was REALLY making me nervous. I tried dong all the right things, backing away and trying to disengae, but he just kept coming... My wife and sister had gone on into the store to try and find security (not sure what good they would have done). I finally told the guy I wasnt going to be much of a challenge and this wasnt going to take long, he stopped, looked atme and said "This is going to last as long as I want it to!" I was still trying to back away, and told him no, it really wouldnt take that long. He laughed and asked why I thought that... My repsonse? Because I am about to shoot your big dumb ass if you keep threatening me... He grabbed his wife and mumbled about it beng my lucky day and left in a very rapid manner. Outside of losing my situational awareness at the begining I am not sure what else I could have done short of submitting to a physical confrontation with man mountain.... My sister in law was very curious about what happened when I finally met up with them inside, and when I relayed the series of events she proceeded to tell me that was the problem with guns... that they led to violence, personally I feel that in this instance they averted violence....

There was "disparage of force" for sure. 50 lbs. is quite the disparage.

I know that in Arizona, the "defensive display" law passed this last legislative session. It is now legal to inform someone that you are armed, put your hand on it and even draw it, if you feel your life is in danger. You just can't point it at them without shooting them.

I don't remember the exact wording of that law, so don't crucify me.

Before this law was enacted, YOU could be charged with several crimes. Not up on Texas law enough yet to know if what you did was LEGAL.

I feel you did the right thing.

Top Bottom