• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    It looks like it is coming down to the current sheriff Amadeo Ortiz and former USAF major general Susan Pamerleau. While I know there has always been rumors that Ortiz won't sign Form 1s, I have yet to hear of anyone actually being denied. The incident last month where two police dogs died after being left in a BCSO vehicle will likely be a point of attack by Pamerleau, but the truth is that it was nothing more than a tragic accident and efforts are underway to ensure it won't re-occur.

I have been on the receiving end of Pamerleau's "leadership" and honestly it scares me. The woman has no law enforcement experience whatsoever, and based on her military career she doesn't have much to offer from that either. Her claims of a "lifetime of experience in executive leadership positions making our nation safe and secure" are a joke as she never held a position where she directly supported combat operations, all she held were "personnel, training, programming, political-military and administrative positions" jobs per her bio. Heck, she spent 30 years in the military and never even deployed; that is pretty pathetic.

For the most part I feel that Ortiz is well qualified and does a decent job as sheriff. Situations like what happened to these dogs will occur, they are tragic and sometimes they are avoidable; but the department is made up of people and people make mistakes. I don't think this was intentional, nor negligent, it was just an unfortunate series of events that the BCSO is working to prevent reoccurring.

Ortiz has accomplished a lot during his tenure as sheriff, and has notable endorsements in his bid for re-election. I am sure everyone involved in this incident wished it never happened, I understand the deputy involved has been very emotionally affected by what happened. I've met numerous K9 units and there is a strong bond between the handler and the dog, I would equate this loss emotionally with losing an immediate family member.

Plus, Bexar County Sheriff’s Office was honored by the Department of Homeland Security at the National Sheriff’s Association Annual Conference in Nashville, Tennessee this past June. Ortiz accepted the “Partnership’s for Public Safety” award where his department was cited for its agency partnerships with other federal law enforcement agencies under the umbrella of the Department of Homeland Security. Recognizing the daily interaction between the Sheriff’s Office and Federal Agencies, in particular, two noteworthy events were mentioned during the presentation.

The first is the work of the joint operation of the Sheriff’s Office Human Trafficking Unit and the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Office (ICE). The second was the Sheriff’s Office co-ordination of the massive man-hunt for the suspect that killed Patrol Sergeant Kenneth Gary Vann May 28th, 2011 in east San Antonio. Local, state, and federal agencies worked side by side, 24 hours a day for 8 straight days during the investigation that resulted in the arrest of the suspect.

So while Pamerleau can attack all she wants, her allegations of "gross mismanagement and misconduct" sound very familiar to those made against her while in charge of the Air Force personnel system. I know many former USAF personnel whose careers were cut short due to her "leadership" of the personnel center at Randolph. I see no endorsements from any veterans groups for her. Heck, I don't see any law enforcement organizations supporting her, just a few named individuals most of which previously held positions in the community and/or are retired.

Pamerleau is only seeking political office, she's already tried unsuccessfully to run for Bexar County Precinct 4 Commissioner in 2010 and now she's going for sheriff despite having no qualifications to be one. If Pamerleau does use the dog incident in her political campaign to become sheriff of Bexar county, I hope the voters are wise to realize it is just more empty rhetoric and that the current sheriff, Amadeo Ortiz, has done everything possible to ensure such a tragedy doesn't happen again and that he is the much better choice as sheriff!

Cheers! M2

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Personally, I think they are both scum. The ex-military idiot for just your reasons listed, and the current idiot for refusing to sign Form 1's and Form 4's. A depressingly large number of my customers in Bexar County have been forced to pay lizards, err, lawyers heaps of cash to set up NFA trusts because of him. While I live in a real Texas county and so have no personal experience with the man, many of my customers are not so fortunate and report that he is a flat "no-go" on NFA items.

If they don't trust me with weapons, I don't trust them at all.

The trouble we have here is a scum sucking bottom feeder, or another scum sucking bottom feeder. Both choices suck.

That said...as bad as he may be, I wouldn't vote for a senior military officer like her for the position of cleaning up after the horses have gone by at the annual 4th of July parade, much less any position involving the public.

Alex

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    The current Sheriff wouldn't understand a budget if he wrote it - and his "leadership" primarily consists of finding someone else to blame things on.

The loss of those two dogs was not only cruelty, but a major financial loss. Someone supposedly trained to work with dogs has no excuse for what he allowed to happen - and the failure to install the cooling systems ultimately stops with the sheriff himself.

As to his opponent...dunno. I know the one currently in office isn't doing the job, though.

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    i have no idea what Parmerleau is about it, but Ortiz is TERRIBLE!! He looks good on paper, but internally the Sherrifs Office is in terrible shape. Morale for Civies and Detention Officers is way down because of him. Theres alot of stuff that goes on that people dont realize, or he says he is doing something, but in reality, he is only doing it for another reason.

I want to vote for Parmerleau because i feel a change is needed there, but her inexperience scares me. Seems im in a "damned if you do" position.

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    Also Ortiz fails to mention on his accomplishments page how he created a job for a glorified party planner at $90k/yr.

edit: Apprently she has gotten a pay raise since last time i checked and is currently at $99k/yr. Hmmm...i wonder where my raise went?

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Both choices suck...royally. If I were in Bexar County I honestly have no clue if I could vote for either of them. That having been said, Ortiz will kick her ass come November. She hasn't a prayer of winning...IMO.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Not with a name like "Ortiz" in a county like Bexar...a nice sanctuary city where the illegals, felons, and the dead vote early and often!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Well, I know Ortiz ain't a bucket of sunshine but compared to Pamerleau he looks like George-friggin-Patton! I would vote for him over her any day, this country has suffered enough from voting unqualified individuals into office! (Note I said 'country,' not 'county')

The question is, with all the SA members on here, has anyone actually tried to get a Form 1 signed by the man? I've always heard the rumors he wouldn't, but I have yet to meet someone who actually made an effort to do so...

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I think Wakal already answered that he's had many customers that tried to get 'em signed without success.

But wouldn't you think someone on here would have tried it by now? I might just have to give it a shot, since honestly it doesn't cost anything to get the form signed except some time to take it by his office...

I've asked on here before, and didn't find anyone who had been unsuccessful.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...exar-county-sheriff-sign-off-atf-form-1s.html

There was someone who claimed he wouldn't in this thread...

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/class-iii-nfa/2681-nfa-suppressor-form-4-cleo-sign-offs.html

...but I am pretty sure he was just passing along the Internet rumor and had not tried personally.

Stand by, I see later on in that thread someone posted he had!

Post #21 UPDATE : 10-16-09

I just received my approved SBR stamp. Took me close to 3 1/2 months.

Sheriff Ortiz - Bexar County signed it. Happy days ahead. Also , a note to others planing to do so, I advise writing in multiple calibers and barrel length from 6.5 inch (or desirable length to 16 inch). This covers other future SBR's .

So I guess that rumors been blown out of the water!

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    I"ve got eight cans in my safe right now with "trust" info on 'em, who were denied (including those told at the desk when they tried to drop them off...not to bother). Another six that didn't try and went "trust" straight away.

Compared to walking in with papers, walking out with signatures in Atascosa County. Weird.

Alex

Top Bottom