• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • User1776

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2024
    Texas
    Looking for a good trauma kit that has more than just bandaids and gauze. Morphine, penicillin, anti venom seem to be very difficult to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Chest seals
    A couple of rolls of compressed gauze
    A SAM splint
    A compression (Isreali) bandage or two
    And a TQ (two if you have space)

I also carry a old medicine bottle with a bunch of ibuprofen, benadryl, and psuedofed.
    Don't discard your boo-boo kit with some GOOD bandaids, antibiotic cream and the like, you'll use them more than the truama oriented stuff.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    As mentioned anti venom is super expensive, but there are 2 types, one for rattlesnakes, copperheads, water moccasins as they have the same type of venom. The other type is specifically for coral snakes. Dosing is based upon factors present after the bite. There are well established protocols for this although most hospitals are not aware of them.

Best treatment for a venomous snake bite is keeping the victim calm and elevating the extremity at a 45 degree angle or higher to keep swelling down while arranging transport to nearest appropriate medical facility.

There is a facebook group run by a few doctors that specialize in venomous snakebites that take an active role in ensuring the patient and the doctors in their care are aware of the best protocols to follow.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Chest seals
    A SAM splint

I also carry a old medicine bottle with a bunch of ibuprofen, benadryl, and psuedofed.
    Don't discard your boo-boo kit with some GOOD bandaids, antibiotic cream and the like, you'll use them more than the truama oriented stuff.

He just hit everything I'd recommend. Its also essentially the same kit I carry at work. The splint isn't in my EDC bag, but its in my laptop bag easily fetched if its needed.

User1776

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2024
    Texas
    Chest seals
    A SAM splint

Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

You asked ‘’best’’.

I spent years in Emergency Medicine.

One cannot easily predict which mishap will befall them. And, there is usually no really effective ‘’first aid’’.

Let someone reliable know where you are going & when you are to return.

Carry one or more communications devices.

I would include a ‘’mask-bag’’ ventilator & oral airways. An ‘’epi-pen’’ or similar. A couple rolls of water-resistant elastic dressing wraps, ‘’Q-tips’’ to remove small objects from eyes.

Maybe trained folks should carry a chest ‘’dart’’. Perhaps some method of carrying an incapacitated person.

Never forget the basics, as taught in all first-aid courses: ‘’ABC’s’’; AIRWAY FIRST, breathing, then circulation.

Bleeding attracts attention, but is relatively rarely life-threatening.

Good Luck !

leVieux

<>

<>

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Where in the hell are you hiking where you'll need Morphine, penicillin, anti-venom, etc.?

Honestly, unless you really know what you're doing (i.e., certified EMT), you're probably better off leaving those items to the professionals!

Plus, anytime you'd need those things, evac'ing the patient would be your priority!

Otherwise, a basic hikers first aid kit will have what you need.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Chest seals
    A SAM splint

This plus I have Quick Clot and paramedic shears in every one of my kits…

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Sometimes the shirt of of your friends back is were to start. This was the case for me while over at EZE-E's.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    probably best to just build your own that has exactly what you want, what you know how to use, and what you’re actually going to be willing to carry with you.
    I built my own kits…thanks fully I’ve not had to use them. I did go over the procedures with my wife and daughters…

One thing I hear a LOT is “why carry that stuff if you are not a medic?” My answer is simple…if I find myself in a bad situation like a vehicle accident or shooting, God may put a trained medic in the situation without his/her kit…and I’ll hopefully have some of what they can use to save lives.

I keep kits in every vehicle, and two in my pickup as that is the vehicle we generally take on road trips. Also in my range bag, my kitchen, and I’ve given my daughters kits:

Attachments

• IMG_8220.jpeg
      IMG_8220.jpeg
      234.3 KB · Views: 11
    • IMG_8221.jpeg
      IMG_8221.jpeg
      262.8 KB · Views: 12
    • IMG_8219.jpeg
      IMG_8219.jpeg
      300.4 KB · Views: 11
    • IMG_8218.jpeg
      IMG_8218.jpeg