• Total voters

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Having read through the old post below, I still hope to learn more from y'all of your magazine recommendation with consideration to reliability, durability, steel vs polymer, etc.

My main concern is SR-25 pattern 308/7.62 NATO in particular but I don't guess that makes much difference for the poll/recommendation request. I've listed 10 popular magazine maker options including (material/approximate cost factor) for the poll to help jog memories (2-choice max), but please do post your thoughts.

I'd especially like to know your opinion of Hexmag vs Magpul.

Guns International

Last edited:

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    My preference

Okay #1 the gold standard. They've been making magazines since WW2.

Lancer #2 best of both worlds. Reliable, durable, lightweight. Available in clear/translucent which is always cool

Magpul #3, reliable, but bulky, don't handle loaded long term storage well. M3 mags have fitment issues in some AR's. M2's are better for only AR use, but they don't sell those with dust covers, so don't leave them loaded for too long.

USGI mags are aluminum, not steel, but some companies make steel mags that look like aluminum mags. My experience with hex mags have not been good. Fine for range use but I don't trust my life to them.

I have a handful of OKAY AR mags that are over 40 years old and they keep on ticking.

Most of my magpul mags have been converted to AR180 mags, thats really the only use i have for them

S13

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2022
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    For AR- I've used a shitload of different mags. Almost all worked fine except for Orlite and Thermold. The .mil surplus sometimes develops issues but you just junk it at that point, but that is very rare. I've only had to through a couple away in 20 years. I do not use Promags of any type though.

My goto mags for ARs are any Mil contract and Promags. I prefer the milsurp ones.

For AK- I have pretty much only used milsurp from all kinds of countries. I can't tell a lick of difference, they are all 100% reliable. Oh, I've run a Palm mag, it was fine as well.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    The only case where I'd pick magpul over factory mags would be the AUG. They are designed around polymer from the ground up, so everything is much thicker.

Magpul's G36 mags might be the same way, I don't know.

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    Lancer and russian slab

Attachments

• 355715-76c856e9dd1088237ae2c4955f7fd93e.jpg
      355715-76c856e9dd1088237ae2c4955f7fd93e.jpg
      157.1 KB · Views: 38

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    My preference

Okay #1 the gold standard. They've been making magazines since WW2.

Lancer #2 best of both worlds. Reliable, durable, lightweight. Available in clear/translucent which is always cool

Magpul #3, reliable, but bulky, don't handle loaded long term storage well. M3 mags have fitment issues in some AR's. M2's are better for only AR use, but they don't sell those with dust covers, so don't leave them loaded for too long.

USGI mags are aluminum, not steel, but some companies make steel mags that look like aluminum mags. My experience with hex mags have not been good. Fine for range use but I don't trust my life to them.

I have a handful of OKAY AR mags that are over 40 years old and they keep on ticking.

Most of my magpul mags have been converted to AR180 mags, thats really the only use i have for them
    Magpul and OKAY are hands down the best.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I can't believe nobody said....Full!

Joe
    ^ And then there are them Michigan comedians, lol (I appreciate ya!)

But to that point, there's no difference between an empty mag vs a full mag that doesn't work, except weight... So my purpose here is to determine which brands/types to avoid, and hopefully do so without having to spend the big $

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    ^ And then there are them Michigan comedians, lol (I appreciate ya!)

But to that point, there's no difference between an empty mag vs a full mag that doesn't work, except weight... So my purpose here is to determine which brands/types to avoid, and hopefully do so without having to spend the big $
    Quality has never been cheap.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Depends on the rifle make, some can be finicky. I've had more problems with Hexmag than Magpul, and pretty much most new purchases have been Magpul.

Top Bottom