• ...and so much more!
  • mm54943

Not So Well Known...
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Fort Bend area
    My mother in law just went on her first range trip with a friend (my father in law died). She wants to buy a firearm for home defense. The guy told her a shotgun would be best due to not having to accurately aim as much to hit your target. I totally disagree with the advice the guy gave her. She's a very small woman (about 5' tall).

What do you guys think?
    Hurley's Gold

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Kind of, "it all depends on many factors" to be able to give good suggestions. What is her experiences with firearms? Does she live alone? Does she live rural or urban area?

I could go on with questions that need answers to be able to even start with suggestions.

Personally, I think the shotgun is one of the best home defensive weapons there is. Shotguns do not require the same precision is shooting that pistols or rifles need in order to hit their target. But can she or will she be able to handle a shotgun?

mm54943

Not So Well Known...
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Fort Bend area
    Kind of, "it all depends on many factors" to be able to give good suggestions. What is her experiences with firearms? Does she live alone? Does she live rural or urban area?

I could go on with questions that need answers to be able to even start with suggestions.

Personally, I think the shotgun is one of the best home defensive weapons there is. Shotguns do not require the same precision is shooting that pistols or rifles need in order to hit their target. But can she or will she be able to handle a shotgun?
    She's brand new. Lives in an urban area. She's a very small woman. My sister in law lives with her.

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    What he said.

Ability to aim accurately I'm a situation with your adrenaline pumping is not an easy task for the untrained.

A shotgun allows for some margin of error.

Just get her used to shouldering it properly and managing the recoil.

I've seen the smallest of women handle a 12 gauge like it's nobodies business.

MK

Sent from somewhere over the Soviet Union

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    She's brand new. Lives in an urban area. She's a very small woman. My sister in law lives with her.
    I might suggest a smaller gauge shotgun that was a youth shotgun for her then.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    That's impossible to answer without knowing the person and experience and commitment to training.

That said, taking a WAG, a 20 gage Mossberg 500 is a easy to shoot shotgun as is a 3 or 4 inch 38 spcl revolver
    But grip strength is an issue.

I recently spent time with the wifes shield EZ in 380. It's a soft shooting gun with a grip safety and thumb safety and is easy to load rack and shoot. There again it's not pick up pull trigger easy and requires a bit of practice.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    A missed shot from a shotgun is no better than a missed shot from a pistol.
    A miss is a miss, regardless of the firearm used. But a shotgun has much larger pattern due to multiple projectiles in the shot, which gives a greater chance of hitting than one single projectile. Regardless of what some say, shotguns do need to be aimed, not just pointed.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    A miss is a miss, regardless of the firearm used. But a shotgun has much larger pattern due to multiple projectiles in the shot, which gives a greater chance of hitting than one single projectile. Regardless of what some say, shotguns do need to be aimed, not just pointed.
    With a good hit, 9 pellets of 00 buckshot is more effective than a 9mm hole.

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    In all actuality, the best firearm you can have in any situation is one you shoot well. That means multiple rounds on target in a short period of time.

If you can put ten rounds of .22lr in some dudes chest @ 10 yards in less than 5 seconds, but can't hit the broadside of a barn with a 9mm, which one are you going to use?

MK

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    In all actuality, the best firearm you can have in any situation is one you shoot well. That means multiple rounds on target in a short period of time.

If you can put ten rounds of .22lr in some dudes chest @ 10 yards in less than 5 seconds, but can't hit the broadside of a barn with a 9mm, which one are you going to use?

MK

Hits with a 22 trump misses with a 44!

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Go over facts not gun store folklore. Establish what works well for her environment and her skills or disabilities.

As far as shotgun, it’s never been my first choice. Not because of elitism but because of facts about my environment.

When I lived in Bedford I was all about handguns and dry fire trained to help get muscle memory of the house and think about where everyone should or could be; family or neighbors.

Now that I have some distance to cover if I’m unfortunate enough to need to get into a gun fight, my current home/property weapon is a 30-06.

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    What’s the greatest distance that she would be shooting? What shot load(s)? That determines whether it begets a big hole or any spread.

What is her physicality?Coordination? Hand strength? Can she load a magazine? Rack a slide? Can she fire double action?

That just starts the physical aspect.

Psychologically is she prepared?

A long arm allows a supported platform from which to fire but can be challenging with which to move through interior spaces.

A small swarm of .22 is formidable. Buckshot....

Good luck to her.

Last edited:

38 and 45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2022
    WV
    Most men can't properly handle the recoil of a shotgun so I doubt very many women can either.

At close range (such as a house) a shotgun blast will land like a bullet, very tight pattern.

Teach your mother-in-law how to shoot with a .22 pistol and go from there. Basically, the biggest handgun that she can shoot and handle well in the biggest caliber she can shoot well is the answer.

If that's a .22 LR then so be it.

Also, it's a good idea to put a set of ear pro muffs that allow normal sounds while blocking out gun shots by the weapon and train her to put those on when she thinks the fun is about to start.

Having lost part of my hearing at age 15 because my father thought earmuffs were stupid has really sucked these 50 years. It'll be really loud shooting inside her house.

Also train her to never fire through doors and never go outside to address sounds or intruders.

Don't forget teaching her good tactics and why a flashlight with strobe effect is priceless.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Most men can't properly handle the recoil of a shotgun so I doubt very many women can either.

At close range (such as a house) a shotgun blast will land like a bullet, very tight pattern.

Teach your mother-in-law how to shoot with a .22 pistol and go from there. Basically, the biggest handgun that she can shoot and handle well in the biggest caliber she can shoot well is the answer.

If that's a .22 LR then so be it.

Also, it's a good idea to put a set of ear pro muffs that allow normal sounds while blocking out gun shots by the weapon and train her to put those on when she thinks the fun is about to start.

Having lost part of my hearing at age 15 because my father thought earmuffs were stupid has really sucked these 50 years. It'll be really loud shooting inside her house.

Also train her to never fire through doors and never go outside to address sounds or intruders.

Don't forget teaching her good tactics and why a flashlight with strobe effect is priceless.

Welcome to the Forum!

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    BaggyPessimisticAdeliepenguin-small.gif

Top Bottom