• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CitizenSeven

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Dallas
    I'm hoping to get my gf to try Gibsons; it's a lot closer than Garland for us, plus let's you shoot FMJ. She's apprehensive about range nazis, though. According to FMJ Ranges in DFW, it's also the closest 200 yard range to DFW area. The only other place besides Garland we've gone is Guns Ammo and more... for our CHL. Liked the semi-indoor range, but just pistols, and way too far out for regular use.

I like Garland, I just wish the rifle range wasn't perpetually muddy, especially on the parking lot side where you stand during a cease fire.
    Lynx Defense

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    Gibsons is a good place. just follow the rules and you will be fine. The son isn't as big a deal as is made out as long as you follow the rules.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Eagle Gun Range Lewisville. One of the best indoor ranges I have ever been too. Extremely polite and professional people, ammo is plentiful and at fair prices as are the targets, FMJ up to 50cal, nice rental selection and they have a wall of guns for sale.

Range Rules | Eagle Gun

ETA: This part makes me laugh

<snip>

[h=2]Dress Code[/h] To ensure a SAFE and satisfactory experience, the following dress code will be enforced:
    The following are NOT allowed
    Flip-Flops, sandals or open footwear of any kind
    Tank tops or low-cut tops
    Extremes in apparel or jewelry, which are distractive, disruptive, disrespectful or unsafe
    Clothing or jewelry displaying: drugs, obscenities, lewd or illegal behavior, sexual overtones. etc. or any reference that is disruptive or disrespecful to others
    Undergarments worn as outer garments. This includes muscle shirts
    Sagging pants. If your underwear or skin is showing more than two inches above your pants, you will be requested to pull your pants up or we will be happy to lend you a belt.

Last edited:

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    We got to an out door range in Ferris. TDSA (Texas Defensive Shooting Academy). Big, and no range nazis. Just the basic range rules. Eye protection, closed toed shoes, very simple and basic rules. Ive also been to the Parker County one mentioned in an earlier post with a buddy of mine, very nice as well. Elm Fork is nice, but Im not paying fees everytime I go to the range to be in a "nice" place, its a dang gun range. 300 dollars for the year at TDSA, and that gets me, my wife, and our kids in as well as two guests. I think the Parker County one is 110.00 for the year, but that would be like a two our drive for me.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I too like ShotSmart. Going during the week it's not overly crowded. Week ends, especially in the 10am - 2pm time slot, can crazy.

I've come around a little on Quail Creek. I had sworn them off 3 or 4 years ago because of their obnoxious Nazi RO's. But I had occasion to go there a few months back during the week, and and was pleasantly surprised. They have a new crew of RO's who seem pretty decent. They've upgraded the range and now have 7 and 15 yard pistol and 25 - 50 and 100 yard rifle. They still have ammo restrictions for rifle. I've not been on a week end, but I'm sure if the weather is nice, Saturday and Sunday would be quite crowded.

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    Eagle Gun Range is a little pricey, but it is at least all day shoot so if I go at lunch I can come back in the evening and not pay again. The staff is generally helpful. Met the owner once and the guy is just so enthusiastic about running a range. Good to see someone who not only is trying to make a living but seems to enjoy his business.

Quail Creek Range is actually pretty good. They have a reputation for being range nazis but the only time I've seen an RSO yell at someone is when we are at cease fire and they immediately do something they just told us not to do. As a public range I think I prefer the over cautious over zealous approach. Most of the shooters I've encountered haven't been bad, even if inexperienced, but it only takes one jerk off to create a bad situation.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Quail Creek Range is actually pretty good. They have a reputation for being range nazis but the only time I've seen an RSO yell at someone is when we are at cease fire and they immediately do something they just told us not to do. As a public range I think I prefer the over cautious over zealous approach. Most of the shooters I've encountered haven't been bad, even if inexperienced, but it only takes one jerk off to create a bad situation.

I agree. I like when they err on the side of safety, but there is a way to do that and a way not to do that. In years past, if a shooter even put a toe past the line during a cease fire, it would be hell-fire for that person. Yelling and humiliating them, calling names etc.

Like I said they've relaxed that and have better RO's now, but if they ever get back to that I'll not shoot there.

flashguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    We got to an out door range in Ferris. TDSA (Texas Defensive Shooting Academy). Big, and no range nazis. Just the basic range rules. Eye protection, closed toed shoes, very simple and basic rules.
    That range is owned by a friend of mine, Len Baxley. I've done all my CHL qualifications at his range. I haven't been there for some time, but I understand that there have been some improvements since the last time I was there. (I saw Len at the Big Town show a week ago.)

flashguy

Medic218

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Little Elm
    Eagle Gun Range - Lewisville

END. OF. STORY!!!

Best lighting, best staff, decent selection of guns for sale and rent, excellent ventilation, RO are very safety minded but not dickish about it, the target senders are digital, 25 yrd lanes, clean restrooms and a little break area with a coke machine, tv and chairs where you can relax a bit whenever you need a breather.

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    That range is owned by a friend of mine, Len Baxley. I've done all my CHL qualifications at his range. I haven't been there for some time, but I understand that there have been some improvements since the last time I was there. (I saw Len at the Big Town show a week ago.)

flashguy

Len is good people. They have made it alot better just over the past few months. Creating individual bays, more steel targets, it is my favorite. Like I said, he gives you the freedom to do alot, as long as you dont get stupid. Nothing fancy, but heck it is a gun range. Maybe we will run into each other one day up there.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Eagle Gun Range - Lewisville

END. OF. STORY!!!

Best lighting, best staff, decent selection of guns for sale and rent, excellent ventilation, RO are very safety minded but not dickish about it, the target senders are digital, 25 yrd lanes, clean restrooms and a little break area with a coke machine, tv and chairs where you can relax a bit whenever you need a breather.

Yup. Its our new favorite range. FMJ is gtg up but not including 50 cal

flashguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    Len is good people. They have made it alot better just over the past few months. Creating individual bays, more steel targets, it is my favorite. Like I said, he gives you the freedom to do alot, as long as you dont get stupid. Nothing fancy, but heck it is a gun range. Maybe we will run into each other one day up there.
    Maybe we should plan a TGT shoot there some day. So far all of them have been on the west side of Dallas.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I currently live on the west side of Fort Worth and about the only range I have shot at is the Elk's Castle range on I-30 just off 820 West. They are friendly enough but it is small and very limited.

I have been told that Elm Fork is a good place to go but then I read on here that it is very crowded??

I'm just wondering if there are any good ranges in the DFW area that anyone would recommend . . . considering that it needs to be better than my local one with 8-10 basic indoor lanes?

Thanks

Lonestar in Weatherford is about 15 minutes from 820W/30 intersection.

Very nice facility, has lanes that can handle rifle rounds and is shotgun friendly.

Staff has been pleasant every time I've been there.

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    Maybe we should plan a TGT shoot there some day. So far all of them have been on the west side of Dallas.

It is worth trying. I usually go every Saturday morning, or late Saturday afternoons. I will mention it to Len and see how he feels about it. Maybe you could run it by him as well.

Peking

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I go to TargetMasters in Garland and Elm Fork (which is expansive but as said, usually crowded). I'd probably shoot more at Elm Fork but they're closed on Monday and Tuesday and that's annoying to someone like me who's busy towards the end of the week and all weekend long.

I work down the road from Target Masters and have been there quite a few times, it is a older and some what dirty range where sometimes I wonder how well the ventilation system works compared to newer ranges I have been too but they have a great all day rate along with the owners being friendly.

They also have a good selection of stuff, some prices are spot on to what you can find elsewhere too so not too much price gouging.

Peking

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Also when I first moved here to Texas, I lived in Las Colinas so I would drive past Elm Fork twice daily with every time thinking to myself that I would go and check it out. Seems popular and the options for different ranges are cool.

Top Bottom