• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gulfpirate101

Jan 27, 2024
    Corpus Christi
    Hi all, looking at getting a 2020 python, and wondering which barrel length to get. Will mostly be used as a range toy, may see some hunting duties in the future. Leaning towards the 6", but the 3" is the best looking IMO. Wondering if what will be lost in field of view is worth an aesthetic decision. TIA

msharley

TGT Addict
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Hi all, looking at getting a 2020 python, and wondering which barrel length to get. Will mostly be used as a range toy, may see some hunting duties in the future. Leaning towards the 6", but the 3" is the best looking IMO. Wondering if what will be lost in field of view is worth an aesthetic decision. TIA
    Welcome to TGT.

With any of the handgun magnum rounds, barrel length is your friend....

About 75fps per inch...or more....

Short barrel .357's are obnoxiously loud...and sacrifice a goodly bit of velocity....

6" or 8-3/8" have much less felt recoil, point easier and yield a significantly higher velocity...

Also? Gives one an excuse for a good shoulder rig! :green:

Gulfpirate101

Jan 27, 2024
    Corpus Christi
    Welcome to TGT.

With any of the handgun magnum rounds, barrel length is your friend....

About 75fps per inch...or more....

Short barrel .357's are obnoxiously loud...and sacrifice a goodly bit of velocity....

6" or 8-3/8" have much less felt recoil, point easier and yield a significantly higher velocity...

Also? Gives one an excuse for a good shoulder rig! :green:
    Thank you! Havent seen an 8 3/8" on modern python yet, that would be a cannon!

msharley

TGT Addict
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Thank you! Havent seen an 8 3/8" on modern python yet, that would be a cannon!
    Mine, minus the hammer spur, is a short action 5 screw COMBAT MASTERPIECE (originally with 6" barrel) with an 8" Python Tube wound on.

Nephews' is a 3 screw Model 10 ( originally a 4" barrel) with an 8" Python Tube...He opted to put an electronic dot (C More?) on his ...for the indoor Winter League he shoots..

Yes.. both are 38 Special S&W's...

Attachments

• Pair of Smolts.JPG
      Pair of Smolts.JPG
      195.4 KB · Views: 31

grumper

TGT Addict
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Get em all.

I got the 4.25" new production model to go with my 6" vintage nickel plated piece.

Maybe I need the 3" or 8" if the blued versions are awesome.

Niv

Aug 27, 2023
    Spring, TX
    I have a few. 6 inch is great, but the 4 inch looks great and shoots great. 3 is just too short. I'd go with the four. I think it is the perfect length and balance for the new pythons.

Top Bottom