Capitol Armory ad

Beretta U22 Neos {kindof long} (lots of parenthesis)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Intro -

Well, last week i decided to join the "I Have A Sweet .22 Semiauto Pistol" club.

With some money in my pocket and some donated (with her full knowledge ofcourse) from my GF's I went for a U22 Neos from BassPro in San Antonio. As it turns out i got a delay (it usually takes longer thna usual for whatever reason but never a full on "delay" sort of thing.) they said they will call me when the paperwork is approved or if they dont hear from them in 10 days i can come pick it up whenever.

Since i was going to the circus up there in exactly 10 days, that was no big deal, but was kindof a letdown after finishing the 4473.

Anyway, so picked it up yesterday. Read the manual a few times and her and i got aquainted with the weapon. At this point i am thinking "i wonder if the slide loosens up after a while" this thing was so tough to get started (on a cocking slide ofcourse, not a subsequent slide racking) that i thought i was doing something wrong! i was double checking safeties and making sure everythignw as seated properly but i'd try it again and it would pop open liek a charm. kindof weird, but i think it will loosen up after a few hundred rounds.

Earlier today, went to the range. (mainly to test out the new addition, but also to runa few rounds through my pistols - yes i know, i shouldnt have left the rifles at home, i'll take them for a walk next time) Was a great time. but boy was it busy! sundays are everyone's shooting day it seems like.

We where at dietz by the way so some of you know "busy" can get real interesting on the pistol range sometimes. ;)

Got to shoot a big ol' .44 also. Didn't get the guys name, but if he's reading this, nice gun! and thanks for the free 6 rounds of thunder.

Operation-

Back on topic, The neos was a pleasure to shoot.

My only beef was that during firing sometimes the slide lock would engage. this is probably jsut operator error, it was happening 1-4 times per mag with both federal automatch and the good ol' bulk 550 federal.

Though the cheaper stuff worked better.

not one extraction failure with the walmart specials!
    the automatch had atleast 5 FTE's

Also, the slide was murder on my thumb. infact i actually cut my thumb on the serrations Hah! at this point im thinking ti might be my big fingers grabbing the weaver rail mounted ontop.

Accuracy was excellent. My initial target was shot from 15 feet, and was about the size of my hand (keep in mind ive got rather large hands) and i wasnt immediatly impressed, but then it was my first time with the weapon.

On the other hand, the first mag (10 rounds) the lady put through it came up nicely grouped near the x ring. also about the size of her hand!
    (she has much smaller hands! [extra room on a JA-22] and alot less trigger time with any firearms, other than the NEOS ofcourse at which we were even.)

Sights -

The open sights on the Neos are great, but i found them hard to get used to. They are blocky, and matte black like the rest of the receiver, the rear sight is outlined in white fro contrast which i felt was a nice touch.

I say they were hard to get used to, i think because i they are higher above my wrist than any pistol i have used so far. this is a product of the weaver rail mounted ontop of the receiver.

A full weaver rail runs the length of the upper part of the receiver.
    Most notably, and more specifically, the rail is mounted to the barrel assembly. I really like this, because it allows for the super easy mounting of optics. but also because when you take the weapon down for cleaning, it will not loose zero as long as you are gentle with that rod!

The sights are adjustable, and beretta makes a rear sight outlined in red if you prefer (these are only 6 bucks, i might get it jsut 'cause it would match my super cool red grips)

Once you hit a groove with this pistol you will be popping X's left and right. i only totalled 2 with it unfortunatly but the lady got a whopping 7. (and lots of 9 ring action - i dont know if it is coming through in the review but i am very impressed and not a little proud of her performance out there today.)

Take Down -

it isnt often that i say this, but this pistol is fun to clean. disassembly is a snap. You jsut lock back the slide, press the little button and turn a wheel (it looks like the film advance wheel on a cheap camera but sturdier and not spikey) that unscrews the barrel. and the op part pops off. then hold the slide and release the lock and slowly bring the slide forward - but becareful of the spring.

i havent removed the firing pin yet, but if ya'll like i might be able to do a crude snapshot or video detailign the full takedown though im sure somone on youtube has beat me to it lol.

i used a tad of hoppes, and a spritz of clp and the barrel was as clean as a whistle. a few drops of remoil and a quick wipe down for the slide. this weapon seems to run fairly clean.

What came with it?

Well i got the beretta cable lock, AND the basspro trigger lock. (the latter is in the bin at dietz, those cable locks can be handy though)

A stylish blue carrying case, emblazoned witht he beretta logo.

not one but two aluminum 10 round magazines. (single stack)

all it all it was a good buy. i probably could have saved some cash buying elswhere but it was an impulse thing and i think most of us have been there ;)
    Target Sports

gerritm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    seabrook, tx
    I have a Neos and have shot it for a couple of years. A couple of things to watch for. Buy Beretta extra mags. They work better. Find a good ammo that works and stick with it. CCI and Fiocchi work good in mine. Polish the feed ramp. I put a BSA red dot on it and it is amazing how accurate it is. My wife shoots it and thinks she is pretty special cause she can put them all in a quarter size hole @ 25 yards. When you dissasemble it watch the recoil spring that goes around the firing pin. If you pull the trigger before you remove it, the spring can be a little hard to find. Ask me how I know. Have fun and enjoy, it is a great accurate little gun.

GTRich94

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    u
    I’ve had mine for almost 2 years now and have somewhere around 5000 rounds through it (I stopped counting a while ago). If you don’t have one, go out and get a bore snake for the barrel. I’ve cut my hands more times that I can count on the feed ramp when I cleaned the thing. Not sure about your slide; mine was nice and loose. Like gerritm mentioned, polish the feed ramp till it shines. Before I did that, my rounds were constantly getting stuck on the ramp and the gun would jam. After I took it apart and polished the feed ramp and the mags, that issue stopped. Now, it only jams like that when the ramp starts to get dirty; which for me, is usually between 250 and 300 rounds. Since I usually put 250 - 500 rounds through it when I take it to the range, I just rack back the slide and use a qtip to do a quick clean when it stars to jam.

I agree on the ammo, mine shoots everything I put in it and seems to like the cheapest stuff the best. The only ammo I had a hard time with was CCI mini-mags. However, that was before I polished the feed ramp, so maybe that was the issue. Since it likes the cheap stuff, I’ve never gone back to see how the mini mags would behave. Mine also seems to shoot better with the 40gr ammo better than the 36 stuff.

CCI has the mags for 9.99, or at least they used to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    for the record they are RED grips.. either my monitor or the crappy phone camera are making them look ... lighter.

im working on taking a cooler one in a minute sorry it took so long guys but im finally off, lol and this is mid afternoon to me

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    neos2.jpg

neos7.jpg

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    that is the best i could squeeze out with my shitcam lol but it is a sweet gun!

in fact i went out today and tried all kinds of different ammo.
    subsonic rounds, cycled fine. even cci shot shells cycled with no problems! i am incredibly impressed with this pistol. not to mention using the cci shotshells everyone knows how hard it is to do any real damage. one shot dispatched a grackle on a branch inside of 10 feet with ease. (the trick is compensating for the 'donut' effect of the rifling.)

super colibri did not cycle, but does feed reliably. the problem her than more than 5 rounds int he mag and they will start slipping out becasue fo the short cases. acurate, but i liek the rounds out of a rifle more, the are alot of fun for "kinda loud" action.

as to when im goingt o get it fitted for a suppressor? that is a VERY good question. if only i could find a place when i could give them the gun, have it taken care of, to where i have liek a bill, from the place, which i pay, then they give me my new pistol and suppressor. that would make it a lot easier haha. infact that is a helluva business model....

it seems like it would take a little doing to have it set up.
    but i have been totally drooling over suppressors. and htis makes it especially super uber tempting.
    which makes it possible. ;)

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX

Here ya go. IT can be done.

Remove the barrel.

Thered it
    Add adpater (assuming this is how you extend the barrel.

Probably Tornado Technologies can do it.

cougartex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Beretta NEOS Recall

Beretta U.S.A. Corp. has discovered a potential condition with Beretta .22 caliber NEOS semiautomatic pistols in which the pistol will fire even if the safety is activated and, in some cases, the pistols may fire if the safety is moved from the OFF to the ON position. Chances of either of these situations occurring is extremely remote and no injuries have occurred because of this condition, however, because of safety concerns relating to this situation, Beretta U.S.A. Corp. is immediately implementing a recall of Beretta .22 caliber NEOS semiautomatic pistols.

If you have a Beretta NEOS pistol, send it Accokeek Maryland Service Center for repair. Instructions on how to send your Neos to Beretta is available at Neos Service or by calling 1-800-BERETTA.

Note: Some pistols are not subject to recall.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Beretta U.S.A. Corp. has discovered a potential condition with Beretta .22 caliber NEOS semiautomatic pistols in which the pistol will fire even if the safety is activated and, in some cases, the pistols may fire if the safety is moved from the OFF to the ON position. Chances of either of these situations occurring is extremely remote and no injuries have occurred because of this condition, however, because of safety concerns relating to this situation, Beretta U.S.A. Corp. is immediately implementing a recall of Beretta .22 caliber NEOS semiautomatic pistols.

If you have a Beretta NEOS pistol, send it Accokeek Maryland Service Center for repair. Instructions on how to send your Neos to Beretta is available at Neos Service or by calling 1-800-BERETTA.

Note: Some pistols are not subject to recall.

thanks for the tip! will look into this.

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Way ah hear it, it's mostly the ones with the gay-hot-pink grips that the owners TRY to call "red"....

jest sayin'!

this one was aminly for for lady, and besids it was around 50 bucks cheaper for the one with the colorful grips. hah.
    im secure enough to have an almost pink gun haha.

Top Bottom