• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Summer is here which means BBQ pits across the nation are firing up and beers are getting iced down. That being said I don't have to tell you that here in Texas it is hot and dry, especially for us in the south so I gotta remind everyone that we're not the only ones seeking shade and refreshment the critters are as well.

I pulled the cover off my grill today and was about to roll it out when I spotted this guy

IMAG1090.jpg

Was a pretty good sized black widow right where I was gonna grab with my hand to roll the grill out

IMAG1092.jpg

Just wanted to remind everyone that the pests are looking for water and a place to cool down so be aware of your surroundings. My father in law is having a real bad problem with scorpions inside his house down by Corpus Christi, they love anywhere that's shady like the garage, under your workbench, etc. So please everyone be safe and happy grilling

Oh and for the record she didn't ruin my bbq experience today.

IMAG1093.jpg

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Oh yeah. Shiner.

I love shiner, a few liquor stores in Cali carried it but I could always find it at any of the px's on base.

ugh, I HATE those things.

You and me both, bugs don't get to me but spiders that I know are dangerous always give me the creeps.

Fuuuuuuuuuu.

I don't want to move further into Texas anymore. Up to Montana I go!

Oh come on Texas ain't the only place with creepy crawlies.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I've no problem with snakes. It's spiders and scorpions that scare the living day light out of me. Yeesh. I probably would've just doused the whole grill in lighter fluid and lit 'er up.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    My smoker had two dead baby possums in it when I opened the lid.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I've no problem with snakes. It's spiders and scorpions that scare the living day light out of me.

I can at least put on my man pants and do what needs to be done however I do get a chuckle watching my wifes reaction to spiders and scorpions. One time while I was out she saw both at the same time, I got a phone call saying to hurry home because she couldn't handle it. When I got there she had thrown one of her old college textbooks on top of them I pulled it up and the spider was dead but the scorpion only had a couple of broken legs she saw that tail move and went running, I killed it and picked em up while she was badgering me about laughing at her.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Shiner has a tendency to make just about anything tolerable. My biggest problem with the first grill of the year has been wasps and mud daubers.

This is true but this wasn't the first grill of the year, I grill year round and had just used the grill Saturday, only took three days for that nasty thing to move in to it's new home so just wanted to remind my fellow Texans to watch yourself and your children. A buddies sister got bit on the foot by a brown recluse up in the Cedar Park area and it wasn't pretty.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I can only imagine I've heard horror stories, I'm sorry but if I couldn't absolutely identify what bit me but knew it was a spider I'd be heading to the emergency room, hate to even think about that. Reminds me of a funny story when i was in Afghanistan and was convinced there was a camel spider in my sleeping bag with me and was freaking out because I had killed one earlier that day, long story short it ended up being a mouse and I was the source of some laughs.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I am so glad my experience with those was as limited as it was, gotta remember though that they aren't just over there, mainly in the desert areas but they are definitely here in the states, saw a few (though not that big) out in 29 Palms CA when we were doing pre-deployment training out in the mojave desert.

Top Bottom