• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    so ive got a rifle with a picatinny rail attached tot eh barrel that goes allt he way up to the edge....
    could i / would it be smart to if i could, attach a bayonet to it?

also, if this is feasible/intelligent, what bayonet would you recomend?
    Venture Surplus ad

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I believe a bayonet would be an illegal knife, and unlawful to carry on our about your person.

Texas Penal Code
    Sec. 46.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:

(6) "Illegal knife" means a:
    (A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
    (B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
    (C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;
    (D) bowie knife;
    (E) sword; or
    (F) spear.

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
    (1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
    (2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    looks is about all i was thinking.
    something jsut for fun photo-ops

hell it could be rubber for all i care LOL

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    And what are you going to use the bayonet for?

1z.gif

+

2z.gif

=

3z.gif

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

With an AR? You'll melt the rifle! Besides, the AR bayonet is better used as a steak knife. You want to toast marshmallows or cook pretty much anything over a fire, you need a Mosin-Nagant M91/30. The bayonet was made for cooking over an open flame!

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    A bayonet is a knife. You might could call it a spear if it was attached to a rifle but when it comes back off it is a knife. It is probably illegal along with half of the hunting knives and the diving knife I have. I think you're both right depending on where the bayonet is at the time.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I guess I assumed that the blad was going to be less than 5.5 inches. I really haven't had any real experiences with any modern bayonets. I thought they were fairly short. . . at least I'd want a smaller, lighter knife on the end of a rifle if I had to shoot it and carry it around.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    Is this just one of those laws they only enforce if you do something stupid.

After all I have never gotten a ticket for carrying my fillet knife in my tackle box and it's blade is about 9 inches, nor have I ever been questioned about the machete I keep on my 4-wheeler nor the pole axe I keep in my stock trailer, nor my fencing foil.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    You can tell I really haven't put much thought into stabbing weapons.
    Sure you have,
    Your gun is just a way to stab from further away.
    Is this just one of those laws they only enforce if you do something stupid.

After all I have never gotten a ticket for carrying my fillet knife in my tackle box and it's blade is about 9 inches, nor have I ever been questioned about the machete I keep on my 4-wheeler nor the pole axe I keep in my stock trailer, nor my fencing foil.
    Pretty much the only time I have ever had an issue with a knife was when I had a hunting knife in my tool box one night and they said since there was other "hunting paraphernalia" in the truck they weren't worried about it. I had some broken broad heads in the ash tray and all my camo was still behind the seat and I told them when they asked that I had in fact been hunting that morning.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I think most of the ones I've seen are at least 6 - 6 1/2. I have no idea about the legality of the spear thing I'll leave that to y'all.

Spears are lumped in with "illegal knives" in the PC. I don't recall there being a blade length limit on them....

You can tell I really haven't put much thought into stabbing weapons.

They're as much for intimidation as anything. Oddly, a greater number of people are more intimidated by the thought of getting cut or stabbed than they are the thought of getting shot. Maybe it's familiarity...

But it's been that way for a long time. There's a reason why Gurkhas are famous for their knives... and their willingness (eagerness?) to use them. Somehow, it was just a lot more frightening to have a bunch of guys with wicked knives closing in on you than it was facing the dudes who were trying to shoot you with muskets...

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Because a knife is a more violent weapon than a gun any ole accountant can point and pull the trigger in an office building but with a knife or blade the wielder must be more physically aggressive to accomplish his goal. A knife is also a more personal weapon the attacker must get very close to use it in an attack. I'll tell you one thing I'd rather be in a close quarters fight against someone with a gun than someone with a knife. IMO

Top Bottom