• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Heavyduty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Krum, Texas
    not in my case. i have the Utah permit because of child support arrears. but i just found out that i can still get my Texas chl because im am current on the arrears.
    Kinda goofy. So im going to schedule my class soon.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    MANY dealers have you pay, the run the NICS. Keeps the NICS for being used as just a background check system. If you are denied, you are refunded immediately

Heavyduty, arrears is not a problem in Texas, being adjudged to be finally delinquent is a problem. ;)

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    not to contradict, just add my experiences - cabelas, shooters club, bass pro shop, and alpine shooting ranges have had me fill out the form and them call it in before i pay for the item(s)
    would this be just to limit the amount of total transactions the store does...? i.e. limiting the amounts of credits they issue..?

It's a hassle to do 4473s for sales that are a maybe. Frankly, I'd rather not deal with people that are questionable about passing the NICS check. The Texas CHL has additional requirements that are kinda goofy in my opinion, but NICS is pretty straightforward.

This helps to avoid all the little thugs, pot heads, and bangers that want you to do a "background check" on them so they know they can get a gun.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    ahh, didn't think about that aspect of it...

makes sense. appreciate the info.

There are people with legitimate mistakes in life that will buy the gun, and then do the NICS check. I've had people get denied, and I've had people get approved, and I've also had plenty of questionable individuals give up buying a gun from me because they "don't want to lose their money".

Fact is, I don't tell them upfront that they can get their money back for that exact reason. It's more of a faith test than anything. I can rely on two facts:

1.) All people like to keep their money.
    2.) All people know where they've been and what they've done.

It's self-regulating in large. Is it fool-proof? No, but I don't make people do stupid things like get DWIs, beat up their old lady, smoke pot, etc. either.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I gotta say, having a CHL and forgoing all this crap is mighty nice! Kudos to the person that thought that one through...

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom