APOD Firearms

[B]Discussion:[/B] Car in back yard-What would you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I have dogs. I'll let them assess while I confirm doors locked, I confirm I know where spare guns and among are, girl's location is and she's aware of state of alert I'm in, and 911 at the ready. I have alarm system with two way voice so hands free, recorded phone call is a push button away. Then I wait.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    If it's my backyard. They went through a wood privacy fence, a 6' chainlink fence, ran over some prickly pear cactus, 5 or 6 trees, a pile of wood and down a rocky hill.
    If they are still alive, dumass is getting shot. If the dog don't eat them first.
    Maybe both.

from an idgit coffeeholic

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I think we'll see a rapid advance in drones. What we see as commercial grade right now will become cheaper.

I would bet that in the future you can buy a set/swarm w surveillance programs and coordinated flight.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    Why is there 50 threads "Car in the backyard" still open and not locked? Not this one as I get what YG is doing. But the others? Really? Threads get closed around here when someone sneezes and why not duplicate threads.... :banghead:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Why is there 50 threads "Car in the backyard" still open and not locked? Not this one as I get what YG is doing. But the others? Really? Threads get closed around here when someone sneezes and why not duplicate threads.... :banghead:

It didn't go as I had hoped here. But that's a chance you take on TGT.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    My driveway is ~600' from the gate to the front of the house. By the time they made it to my backyard they would have activated the driveway alert and at least three motion lights. My back door opens onto a screened porch with solar screen, very difficult to see through especially at night. Assuming I didn't recognize the vehicle as it came up the driveway, I'd step onto the dark screened porch with a 12ga and one of my brighter flashlights, Mrs. Whistler just inside with a phone / pistol to review the situation. If as in the first poll two tatted gang bangers are occupying the car I'd have the wife call 911 and wait, taking action if the situation evolves to warrant it. I can see them, they can't see me so I see no real reason to confront them if they stay put.

In this pic my garbage cans can be seen just inside the gate to the left of the large tree in the foreground (red circle). I took that picture from my front porch and that's the left side of the front yard the driveway runs along. The driveway isn't straight and curves a couple times over on that side.

frontyard.png

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Not at my house unless they drove through a creek, the woods and several fences. I don't think you could access my backyard in a car if you didn't come down my driveway.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    But they came from behind the house...

As I said, the situation in the OP may not for everyone, least not reasonably.

Someone would have to cross a creek and plow through a couple fences at least to drive up to my back door.

Couldn't even circle around the house from the front without spending 20 minutes doing an awkward back and forth turn around, and then only if they have a very small car.

Top Bottom