Gun Zone Deals

Auto repair costs, time, n parts estimates ~ how to confirm quotes?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Thanks ALOT!!!! I was going to try and ignore my problem tonight. Deeper into depression I go LOL.
    Thanks but no I haven't, and I'm not joining FB either. My choice.

Talked to the shop late this afternoon and they keep piling on POSSIBLE solutions, all with extra charges :(

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    ... I told her valve cover is off and sprockets are visible and in good condition and asked for a price w/o sprocket replacement. She skirted the issue by saying the technician recommends replacing sprockets with the chain because they are all part of the timing system.

If it was a timing BELT, then there's no need to replace the sprockets because they really don't wear (metal is harder than rubber). But on a CHAIN, it's metal on metal and there's always going to be wear ... you might not see it, but there is. That's why you're hard pressed to find a chain by itself and not as part of a set. Same thing goes for the tensioner and guides.

As far as labor costs, ~$100/hr is typical give or take. As far as part costs go, when I worked for O'Reilly's, most shops would ask for their price and list price. You, the customer, got charged list price. That could be from a few dollars more to $50, $100+ depending on the part. And if said part had a core charge, then a lot of times you the customer pay that too, but the shop returns the core and pockets that money. And from looking on parts.com, it looks like they're quoting you list prices on that chain/tensioner.

As far as labor being different between a belt and a chain, yes, but not really. Slightly different assembly/disassembly of the timing parts, but same process and amount of labor. The front of the engine has to be opened up on both. The timing components both have to come off and new ones on. Personally, I think chains are easier ...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've never worked at a shop that would charge the core and then pocket it, but they do have to charge tax on the core charge, IIRC.

That would be a really crazy thing to do, since I've seen a lot of parts that cost less than the core charge, now that I think of it.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I've never worked at a shop that would charge the core and then pocket it, but they do have to charge tax on the core charge, IIRC.

That would be a really crazy thing to do, since I've seen a lot of parts that cost less than the core charge, now that I think of it.

Yes, anything you buy is taxed because if you never return it, you've bought it. When the core is returned, you're refunded the amount plus tax. And yes, I've sold more than several things that were, say, ~$30 but the core was $100+. They want to guarantee they get their core back so they can keep inventory on hand. And any shop that would pocket the core charge, I made sure that if someone came in asking for a recommendation for a shop, I'd steer them clear of those shops. And as much as I would have liked to not sell to crooked people like that, when you're in the business of selling parts, you sell parts.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    If it was a timing BELT, then there's no need to replace the sprockets because they really don't wear (metal is harder than rubber). But on a CHAIN, it's metal on metal and there's always going to be wear ... you might not see it, but there is. That's why you're hard pressed to find a chain by itself and not as part of a set. Same thing goes for the tensioner and guides.

As far as labor costs, ~$100/hr is typical give or take. As far as part costs go, when I worked for O'Reilly's, most shops would ask for their price and list price. You, the customer, got charged list price. That could be from a few dollars more to $50, $100+ depending on the part. And if said part had a core charge, then a lot of times you the customer pay that too, but the shop returns the core and pockets that money. And from looking on parts.com, it looks like they're quoting you list prices on that chain/tensioner.

As far as labor being different between a belt and a chain, yes, but not really. Slightly different assembly/disassembly of the timing parts, but same process and amount of labor. The front of the engine has to be opened up on both. The timing components both have to come off and new ones on. Personally, I think chains are easier ...

It's a chain.

Ballpark I'm wouldn't be surprised with a 1000 or so ticket on a timing chain replacement. I also don't think replacing the sprockets is an unreasonable add on. It already jumped something once.

IMO the good mechanics know they are good and charge accordingly. A few bad mechanics charge that way too.

Personally when I need car work done. I'd go slum the autoparts store. Oreilly auto parts does quite a bit of installer business. And ask them who they recommend. You have to find the right guy. But they'll know who is good or not.

Top Bottom